• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Millenials Need Adulting School

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
God I would have genuinely absolutely fucking loved it if I had had classes in high school that taught about taxes, insurance, investing/saving/managing money, how to professionally navigate the workplace, etc. Why are those not requirements yet. Instead, they require you to take useless electives. And I mean, I do really like electives, but some of those could have EASILY been replaced by this more useful stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, I think the best course of action might be to make 'adulting school' a thing kids do their summer before senior year of high school.
I believe there was a time in the 1950-60s that high school students took home ec., shop, and some other types of classes to prepare for life, but I never experienced classes that went over taxes and mortgages when I was in high school as a Gen X person. I think this has been missing for a while. One way Millennials are ahead is understanding all the latest technology gadgets.

The video is meant to be amusing, but I think he is going too far with it. (I was spoofing it in the earlier post quoting his statement about Millennials living in their mother's basement smearing Cheetos on their face, etc.). There could be more of a discussion on generational knowledge, but maybe there are different, specific points that would be more compelling than the video.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I believe there was a time in the 1950-60s that high school students took home ec., shop, and some other types of classes to prepare for life, but I never experienced classes that went over taxes and mortgages when I was in high school as a Gen X person. I think this has been missing for a while. One way Millennials are ahead is understanding all the latest technology gadgets.

I did take a class like this in high school. How to write a check and reconcile the account. How interest and compound interest works, loans, mortgages...I remember it to this day although I don't remember it being a mandatory class. My mom worked in finance so I knew a lot of these things already but I thought the class was great. While they have the edge with tech, I think security needs to be stressed with kids as soon as they can grasp the concept. It's just too important to assume they'll figure it out for themselves.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I did take a class like this in high school. How to write a check and reconcile the account. How interest and compound interest works, loans, mortgages...I remember it to this day although I don't remember it being a mandatory class. My mom worked in finance so I knew a lot of these things already but I thought the class was great. While they have the edge with tech, I think security needs to be stressed with kids as soon as they can grasp the concept. It's just too important to assume they'll figure it out for themselves.
I could have elected to take an accounting class in high school, but it didn't interest me at the time. I would recommend it to others now, though. My single mother is an ISFP and for all of her strengths, financial planning isn't one of them.

I've had to work out a lot of complex legal and accounting issues, and have found the simplest piece of advice I would give others is to hire someone reliable to help work out the logistics. There are three major accomplishments I have managed, although there were significant errors that cost me. The first is starting my own freelancing business where I sell books I've made online. Overall that has been successful, but I had a tax mishap when I found out that out of state book sales and my job playing music in the hospital all required state sales tax payment. I had no idea, so I got audited and owed $1500 in fines and back taxes. Now I work with a professional accountant to submit my taxes. Buying a house was a successful endeavor which I did completely alone after my divorce. I don't make much, but went ahead to find out what I qualified for and managed to find one house in town in the price range that was small, but functional. I refinanced in six months into a conventional loan to get rid of an extra $100/month in mortgage insurance. Finally the most complex endeavor has been re-incorporating the non-profit entity that one of my mentors started and passed onto me. The process of incorporating and reclaiming past assets has involved four lawyers and now an accountant over the past seven years. We just received our check from the former savings account, so it has been successful, but wrought with pure head trauma along the way.

The main thing that has sustained me is my ability to organize, so I extend those basic principles to all of these complex requirements. However, both the fields of law and accounting are heavy with arbitrary and specific rules that you can only know if you study and learn it. You can't guess or use intuition without knowledge. Figuring out how to find the most reliable expert who doesn't charge more than you can afford is the only way to start making sense of it.

If I could manage it, I would prefer to live simply and down to earth like humans have always lived out in the country with simple resources. I do get a lot of anxiety when trying to work out all the legalities and paperwork because those systems are absolutely rigid and often arbitrary.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Don't let the title put you off, the actual topic is far more in-depth than the name implies: