User Tag List

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Default A leader or better not

Imagine you were at a point in your professional career, when you earn enough money to make a decent life. Your work as a consultant and your expertise as well as problem solving capabilities are legendary. And you can go own like that until you die.
    And then you have two or three activities in which you took on an innovative leadership role. Hesingtatingly, cause you dont like too much responsibility.
    But then comes a point, when push comes to show and you have to make the decision. Go all the way and take on responsibility or live on the good job.

I dont know.

I even PMed Kali Muscle but no help:

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Some people just don't enjoy management, and if a certain career track seems to force them into it if they want to move up, they should consider whether it's the right one for them. Nobody works at their best when they hate what they're doing.

That isn't to say that there aren't cases where a person has a comfort zone and would find they liked leadership if they were to break out of it, just that many other people who don't go for it know very well who they are. I work in a group of people like this who would rather be technical builders, having got out of one where there wasn't room for that difference.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
    Some people just don't enjoy management, and if a certain career track seems to force them into it if they want to move up, they should consider whether it's the right one for them. Nobody works at their best when they hate what they're doing.

That isn't to say that there aren't cases where a person has a comfort zone and would find they liked leadership if they were to break out of it, just that many other people who don't go for it know very well who they are. I work in a group of people like this who would rather be technical builders, having got out of one where there wasn't room for that difference.
    And do you think I could do it?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I had a job as ICT manager for 10 years. The company and responsibility only kept growing. I left the company 2 months ago for a job as "system engineer" (/consultant) cause it's too much stress and that's not what I want in life. For all I know I might even quit IT altogether at some point.

This is a choice only you can make for yourself.
    "I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the fuck is this garbage?’ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers" ~ Nick Cave

The story of Gideon in the bible is interesting on this point.

Gideon led the hebrews to victory over an adversary, he used smart tactics to give the impression of numbers when he had none etc. real Tsu Szu stuff, then when they had prevailed he took payment and left the leader scene, its held up as a archetype of progressive leadership by a lot of libertarians, anarchists, commie sorts who know scripture even, as sort of emergency powers in action, but there is an alternative interpretation, I think its the RCC interpretation still, that he should have stuck around and given them the benefit of his knowledge and wise leadership instead of taking payment and leaving the scene, that the nation suffered as a consequence.

I just mention it because its interesting and sticks in my mind.

I dont have the answer on this score, I've come to believe that you either do die the hero or live long enough to be thought of as the villain.
    It is a luxury to be understood - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire

A kind thought is the hope of the world - Anon