• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to improve working memory?

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Working memory is something I struggle with. I'm a horrible multitasker, and the moment I switch to a new task, I forget about the previous task. I believe this holds me back when it comes to getting jobs good enough to get off disability. Most good jobs that will not be replaced by robots are jobs that require a lot of multitasking, and I am stuck only able to do one complete task at a time (or else do all the tasks very poorly, if at all...)

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Write it down or get one of those schedule planning apps. Hang a whiteboard in the room and write down your tasks.

Reborn Relic

Damn American Cowboy
MBTI Type
INTP
I struggle with this as well. :) I find that taking a break from the internet before doing certain tasks helps immensely. I'm not sure why, but it might have to do with the amount of stimulation I experience from the net lingering in my brain.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Write it down or get one of those schedule planning apps. Hang a whiteboard in the room and write down your tasks.

The sheduling app has helped immensely with long term planning...short term memory still gives me issues, though, and my work is interrupted by customers a lot, and I forget what I was working on. I could get a cheap whiteboard and bring it up there and just rain myself to go back and work on it.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=20113]Tellenbach[/MENTION] I also need to work on thinking things through in the moment. I make my goofiest mistakes when I get ahead of myself.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Write down the mistakes you make and study them. Try to recognize patterns so that if the same or similar scenario arises, you recognize it and won't repeat the mistake.

For example, I once almost ran over a jogger at an intersection because the bastard didn't even slow down and there were only a few seconds of green left on the signal, but it was still my fault since I didn't look right before I made the turn. Now, I'm more careful of making right hand turns.

I almost collided with someone while walking around a corner because I walk fast and the other guy wasn't looking; fortunately, I have cat-like reflexes and dodged in time, but now when I walk around corners, I give myself several feet of space.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Write down the mistakes you make and study them. Try to recognize patterns so that if the same or similar scenario arises, you recognize it and won't repeat the mistake.

For example, I once almost ran over a jogger at an intersection because the bastard didn't even slow down and there were only a few seconds of green left on the signal, but it was still my fault since I didn't look right before I made the turn. Now, I'm more careful of making right hand turns.

I almost collided with someone while walking around a corner because I walk fast and the other guy wasn't looking; fortunately, I have cat-like reflexes and dodged in time, but now when I walk around corners, I give myself several feet of space.

I put the wrong doses on people's medicine sometimes, I put medicines in the wrong bins,when other techs put waiting customer's medicine next to me while I'm checking somebody out during rush hour, sometimes that person gets the waiting person's medicine as well as their own, and I speak gibberish at people rather than actual words sometimes. I'm also really bad about leaving my phone behind in public places like dressing rooms restaurants, or leaving it on top of my car and driving off...same with my wallets. I forget to wear pants sometimes and get into town before I notice I'm half dressed...those kinds of things.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
I put the wrong doses on people's medicine sometimes, I put medicines in the wrong bins,when other techs put waiting customer's medicine next to me while I'm checking somebody out during rush hour, sometimes that person gets the waiting person's medicine as well as their own, and I speak gibberish at people rather than actual words sometimes. I'm also really bad about leaving my phone behind in public places like dressing rooms restaurants, or leaving it on top of my car and driving off...same with my wallets. I forget to wear pants sometimes and get into town before I notice I'm half dressed...those kinds of things.

To be honest, that sounds like it's pretty much on the level of Executive dysfunction - Wikipedia

I have it to some degree, but it really depends on where my mental state is. Stress usually leads to worse executive functioning.

I double check, of course, but in order to double check you also have to have an acutely decent mental state that provides some clarity. I also keep my shit in the same place where they can't be misplaced (eg: keys, wallet). Some of these things are basically ingrained (eg: practice enough of it to achieve competency, and rely on being ritualised so you really must do it step by step without missing a single one, because if you miss a step you will end up forgetting something). Others... Maybe not.

I find that I can pay attention to these things if there's not much stimulus or pressure. Compensatory things for this usually involve controlling the environment. Not something that is fully achievable in every situations, which is why accomodations are often needed (eg: from uni).

I feel like asking here about tips and tricks for you is probably not going to work because for most people, their advice is going to boil down to 'exercise', basic compensatory tasks, 'brain boosting superfoods' etc, when your problem goes much deeper than that. If you know what your underlying problem is (eg: autism or adhd), it can be more beneficial to seek out the communities that have these people who actually go through the same thing, and their advice may be more applicable.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Most people when starting a new job cannot remember the tasks one after another.. it takes a while to get into the groove of things, and prioritizing things. But if you're unable to get these things down, you might want to talk to a community of people with memory loss and short term inabilities to help keep you on track and find a system that works for you.

I can only speak to what I've seen soldiers do that have lost some memory abilities..

Writing it down, getting good at writing it down, and returning to the written down words often is beneficial. If you really goldfish out on, for example, serving a customer drinks when you stop to show another customer to the bathroom, you may want to start a running tab of things. A small notepad you can attach to a wrist-strap on your arm, for example, to just write "D5" on, then you can show the person to the bathroom, and look at your wrist to help jog your memory of where you were prior to the interruption. "Oh, right, D for drinks table 5.. I was getting those people drinks." It can be as short-handed or specific as you need.

Task lists + daily plans (i.e. checklists of your daily activities at a job that need to be done by certain times) can help as well... but having abbreviated server-style bullet points and short-hands you can easily visualize and whip out on the go would be beneficial for those unforeseeable interruptions.

You gotta know what you're weakest in as well. For me, that's dates/calendar talk. I'm hopeless with it. However, I recently embraced google calendar, and as SOON as an event shows up or someone mentions it, I stick it in the calendar. It doesn't matter if it's tomorrow or 1 year from now. I put it in there. I set reminders accordingly when I do. I also have a widget on my home screen of my phone. It shows the calendar right on it for the day and the next day, so I look at it every single time I do something. Before, I struggled a lot with this, but it's amazing how becoming diligent in the moment "Nope, nope, hold on, let me write it down" can keep me on track a majority of the time. I even schedule FUN things I am EXCITED about, because I have to. Even though I go to Hema practice every single week I still have a reminder. I need it.

Some "higher" jobs don't require that many tasks too... Trader Joes, and Aldi's, for example, pay their cashiers and employees fairly well actually. It's decent pay for the work done, and the tasks at hand are much simpler than, say, a busy server at a restaurant. You can use server techniques anywhere you go though. Nurse assistant's can have some pretty good checklists that allow them to make alright money and take care of patients while heavily relying on a running list of tasks.

For what it's worth, I know a lot of people with varying degrees of what you describe. It will occasionally slip my mind to do a task, but I'm fairly gooda at reverting back to my previous task. I just actively think about the task I was doing right before I start a new one. I know people who immediately forget their patient needed to go to the bathroom if someone stops them and asks where the nearest elevator is. They have to write it down on their arm, and then answer the question, or else their patient will get mad at them for forgetting about them.

To some extent, I would say definitely things like meditation, exercise, focusing exercises, brain stimulating exercises, actively studying and learning about new things, and getting enough sleep all help the brain. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss them. But if you have a fundamental problem/deficit in the brain (and I have no idea if you do or not) these will not really magically solve any problems.. But they can help a little. I would liken it more to puzzles + alzheimer's patients.. Puzzles have been shown to stave off the more rapid progression of alzheimers.. It gives them more calm, and clarity, and can really help them with being able to focus on a task (the task being the puzzle itself). Will puzzles cure it? No. Will they reverse it? No. Will they stop it? No. What's done is done.. and Alzheimers WILL still progress despite puzzles.. but any tiny and small attribute that will help, we will use.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
To be honest, that sounds like it's pretty much on the level of Executive dysfunction - Wikipedia

I have it to some degree, but it really depends on where my mental state is. Stress usually leads to worse executive functioning.

I double check, of course, but in order to double check you also have to have an acutely decent mental state that provides some clarity. I also keep my shit in the same place where they can't be misplaced (eg: keys, wallet). Some of these things are basically ingrained (eg: practice enough of it to achieve competency, and rely on being ritualised so you really must do it step by step without missing a single one, because if you miss a step you will end up forgetting something). Others... Maybe not.

I find that I can pay attention to these things if there's not much stimulus or pressure. Compensatory things for this usually involve controlling the environment. Not something that is fully achievable in every situations, which is why accomodations are often needed (eg: from uni).

I feel like asking here about tips and tricks for you is probably not going to work because for most people, their advice is going to boil down to 'exercise', basic compensatory tasks, 'brain boosting superfoods' etc, when your problem goes much deeper than that. If you know what your underlying problem is (eg: autism or adhd), it can be more beneficial to seek out the communities that have these people who actually go through the same thing, and their advice may be more applicable.

That is why I usually get time and a half on things...It takes me a second to redirect myself to the task at hand. I'm the slowest worker at the pharmacy to, and most mistakes happen when I'm in rush hour.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Most people when starting a new job cannot remember the tasks one after another.. it takes a while to get into the groove of things, and prioritizing things. But if you're unable to get these things down, you might want to talk to a community of people with memory loss and short term inabilities to help keep you on track and find a system that works for you.

I can only speak to what I've seen soldiers do that have lost some memory abilities..

Writing it down, getting good at writing it down, and returning to the written down words often is beneficial. If you really goldfish out on, for example, serving a customer drinks when you stop to show another customer to the bathroom, you may want to start a running tab of things. A small notepad you can attach to a wrist-strap on your arm, for example, to just write "D5" on, then you can show the person to the bathroom, and look at your wrist to help jog your memory of where you were prior to the interruption. "Oh, right, D for drinks table 5.. I was getting those people drinks." It can be as short-handed or specific as you need.

Task lists + daily plans (i.e. checklists of your daily activities at a job that need to be done by certain times) can help as well... but having abbreviated server-style bullet points and short-hands you can easily visualize and whip out on the go would be beneficial for those unforeseeable interruptions.

You gotta know what you're weakest in as well. For me, that's dates/calendar talk. I'm hopeless with it. However, I recently embraced google calendar, and as SOON as an event shows up or someone mentions it, I stick it in the calendar. It doesn't matter if it's tomorrow or 1 year from now. I put it in there. I set reminders accordingly when I do. I also have a widget on my home screen of my phone. It shows the calendar right on it for the day and the next day, so I look at it every single time I do something. Before, I struggled a lot with this, but it's amazing how becoming diligent in the moment "Nope, nope, hold on, let me write it down" can keep me on track a majority of the time. I even schedule FUN things I am EXCITED about, because I have to. Even though I go to Hema practice every single week I still have a reminder. I need it.

Some "higher" jobs don't require that many tasks too... Trader Joes, and Aldi's, for example, pay their cashiers and employees fairly well actually. It's decent pay for the work done, and the tasks at hand are much simpler than, say, a busy server at a restaurant. You can use server techniques anywhere you go though. Nurse assistant's can have some pretty good checklists that allow them to make alright money and take care of patients while heavily relying on a running list of tasks.

For what it's worth, I know a lot of people with varying degrees of what you describe. It will occasionally slip my mind to do a task, but I'm fairly gooda at reverting back to my previous task. I just actively think about the task I was doing right before I start a new one. I know people who immediately forget their patient needed to go to the bathroom if someone stops them and asks where the nearest elevator is. They have to write it down on their arm, and then answer the question, or else their patient will get mad at them for forgetting about them.

To some extent, I would say definitely things like meditation, exercise, focusing exercises, brain stimulating exercises, actively studying and learning about new things, and getting enough sleep all help the brain. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss them. But if you have a fundamental problem/deficit in the brain (and I have no idea if you do or not) these will not really magically solve any problems.. But they can help a little. I would liken it more to puzzles + alzheimer's patients.. Puzzles have been shown to stave off the more rapid progression of alzheimers.. It gives them more calm, and clarity, and can really help them with being able to focus on a task (the task being the puzzle itself). Will puzzles cure it? No. Will they reverse it? No. Will they stop it? No. What's done is done.. and Alzheimers WILL still progress despite puzzles.. but any tiny and small attribute that will help, we will use.

I LOVE google calender. Technology has really enhanced my long term reliability. I am also really anal-retentive about putting everything in my phone and setting reminders. Otherwise I forget. The running tab thing is actually a good idea. The wrist strap will be vital since I lose things all the time. Thank you. I just have to train myself to always check my wrist and write things down when interrupted.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I LOVE google calender. Technology has really enhanced my long term reliability. I am also really anal-retentive about putting everything in my phone and setting reminders. Otherwise I forget. The running tab thing is actually a good idea. The wrist strap will be vital since I lose things all the time. Thank you. I just have to train myself to always check my wrist and write things down when interrupted.

Yeah I found it difficult to train myself to actually stick things into calendar when I started, but with some mess ups and CBT it soon turned from a minor inconvenience into a must-do.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I put the wrong doses on people's medicine sometimes

If you know this is a problem, then just double and triple check the doses on the bottle each time you do it.

I put medicines in the wrong bins,when other techs put waiting customer's medicine next to me while I'm checking somebody out during rush hour

If you know that you make more mistakes when you're being rushed, try to recognize the situation and then take a deep breath, ask the customers for some patience and just slow down.

I'm also really bad about leaving my phone behind in public places like dressing rooms restaurants, or leaving it on top of my car and driving off...same with my wallets.

This one's simple. Wear a jacket with pockets in it and never set your phone or wallet anywhere but your pocket.

I forget to wear pants sometimes and get into town before I notice I'm half dressed...those kinds of things.

So get a mirror and make sure you check the mirror every time you get ready to leave.

Red Ribbon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I actually believe multitasking reduces a person's efficiency. If you find it difficult to multitask, maybe you can find a way to complete each individual task quickly instead of multitasking. If you do it fast enough, you should get the same result.