• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is there anything similar to the military that pays for school?

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think that depends on how you define "very religious." For me, the word religion has negative connotations as I associate it with rules, strictness, fear, and violence. I think of my "religion" more as a close relationship with a loving divine father.

I am an atheist...but I strive to live the ethic of compassion.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hmm, in my humble opinion, it might be a good idea to research some more careers first. You don't seem particularly passionate about social work, and I've heard from various professors that social work can be rewarding but that's it a lot of work and very demanding (and that it doesn't pay well). A "burnt out" social worker is common place because some social workers just get so involved in the lives of the people they're involved with that they can't take care of themselves and just have to leave the field entirely.
And just from some cursory googling, it looks like you might need more than just a master's degree?

Retrieved from: The 25 Best Online MSW Programs of 2017 | BestColleges.com

Also, have you talked to any career advisors about your humanities degree? Surely there must be something you can do with it to help you pay for a master's degree?

I haven't looked much into master's degrees for social work, but I have checked out some online master's programs in dietetics/nutrition science and there were some with 6 - 7k tuition. If you worked at the same time, you could pay for that out of pocket easy peasy no problem.

I think the type is entirely irrelevant; it's important to know what your limitations and abilities are, but at your age, you can afford to try many different things and fail. Right now, just find something you like to do and don't worry about failing.[/QUOTE]
I am almost out of money and will have a useless degree that I honestlt look back on as 4 wasted years of my life I'll never get back. I neither enjoyed it nor did I find any clues to anything money-making I would enjoy. I might get a masters in social work since it is the only small loan I can get to further my education and maybe get a middle class income at the end of it. It sounded alright at first, but being around whiny entitled people all day sounds like hell. Military social work is a long shot on many levels, but it may be the only job I could get with that masters I would find remotely enjoyable. Should I do the straight-forward path and just try and get a small loan, or should I try to get a student visa to germany after learning german so I can maybe get a second undergrad and actually not have a time limit this time. 4 years of college and 2 years of career workshops before that was honestly not enough time for me to make up my mind.

If anything, I found out more about what I DON'T want to do than what I want to do. I also know from experience I tend not to know if I really want something until I already have it.

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the type is entirely irrelevant; it's important to know what your limitations and abilities are, but at your age, you can afford to try many different things and fail. Right now, just find something you like to do and don't worry about failing.
I am almost out of money and will have a useless degree that I honestlt look back on as 4 wasted years of my life I'll never get back. I neither enjoyed it nor did I find any clues to anything money-making I would enjoy. I might get a masters in social work since it is the only small loan I can get to further my education and maybe get a middle class income at the end of it. It sounded alright at first, but being around whiny entitled people all day sounds like hell. Military social work is a long shot on many levels, but it may be the only job I could get with that masters I would find remotely enjoyable. Should I do the straight-forward path and just try and get a small loan, or should I try to get a student visa to germany after learning german so I can maybe get a second undergrad and actually not have a time limit this time. 4 years of college and 2 years of career workshops before that was honestly not enough time for me to make up my mind.

If anything, I found out more about what I DON'T want to do than what I want to do. I also know from experience I tend not to know if I really want something until I already have it.[/QUOTE]

That makes sense. It's so hard to figure out what to do with your life. I've changed my major three times, already. LOL. Though ... I know what I want to do with my life, I just need something else to do along side it, if that makes sense. I hope you're able to enjoy graduate school and that it works out for you. Wouldn't it be nice if we all came with scrolls at birth telling us our calling in life?

Unless we didn't like the calling and then spent our whole lives battling it. Oh dear.