User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 20

  1. #1
    Senior Member Smilephantomhive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    2,578

    Default How much does college reputation matter?

    Okay, so does college reputation matter? The college with the highest rank I've got accepted I to is 111. Should I just go to that one, or is it more multifaceted than that? Could me doing internships/undergrad research help with employment? I guess going to a more prestigious grad school can also help if I end up doing that.

    Gosh for months I haven't been able to answer the question what makes a college good? And I'm just now finding that I think.
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    — Rachel Wolchin

    johari
    nohari
    avatar

  2. #2
    Senior Member Smilephantomhive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    2,578

    Default

    Asu seems to have the highest science ranuking out of the three (though I bet csu is better in environment and vet stuff, but I'm not interested in that), however some people say it's a horrible school, others say it's a great school and that the part bums drop out or take the bs majors...
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    — Rachel Wolchin

    johari
    nohari
    avatar

  3. #3

    Default

    I would say it mainly depends on what you decide to major in and the amount of aid you'd be receiving. A really cheap state school may have one of the best majors for a particular field for instance, and a name brand school, while higher in ranking, may not have a good program under the same major. Plus, coming out with less debt is always great for anyone. I would also check and see if your major would be impacted because it could take a much longer time to graduate and more money spent in the long run if it is. Additionally, research the professors under your chosen major and look up reviews about what other students say. In all honesty though, I would say skill level and the experience you accumulate while at college matters most in the job market, otherwise rank is just pointless.
    Like you - I am broken and fragile.
    Like you - I am tasting my heart for the first time.


    - Christian Death, The Drowning
    Likes Floki liked this post

  4. #4
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    9,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smilephantomhive View Post
    Okay, so does college reputation matter? The college with the highest rank I've got accepted I to is 111. Should I just go to that one, or is it more multifaceted than that? Could me doing internships/undergrad research help with employment? I guess going to a more prestigious grad school can also help if I end up doing that.

    Gosh for months I haven't been able to answer the question what makes a college good? And I'm just now finding that I think.
    For my major, I had to graduate from an accredited program at an accredited university. My degree would have been worthless otherwise. Even if you aren't going in with a major in mind, I think the legitimacy of the college/university matters. I don't mean you must go to a big school or an expensive school. I mean there are places that are diploma mills, no employer is going to take it seriously. So do your homework.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Floki, Totenkindly liked this post

  5. #5
    Senior Member Smilephantomhive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    2,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stargaze View Post
    I would say it mainly depends on what you decide to major in and the amount of aid you'd be receiving. A really cheap state school may have one of the best majors for a particular field for instance, and a name brand school, while higher in ranking, may not have a good program under the same major. Plus, coming out with less debt is always great for anyone. I would also check and see if your major would be impacted because it could take a much longer time to graduate and more money spent in the long run if it is. Additionally, research the professors under your chosen major and look up reviews about what other students say. In all honesty though, I would say skill level and the experience you accumulate while at college matters most in the job market, otherwise rank is just pointless.
    Yeah, I'm not worried about money tbh. But yeah ASU is higher ranked in some of the majors I'm interested in. So are you saying that internships matter the most?

    But yeah the one with the highest ranking does really good in certain things I don't care much about. And can I look organize the professor reviews on ratemyprofessor under major/subject?
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    — Rachel Wolchin

    johari
    nohari
    avatar

  6. #6
    Senior Member Smilephantomhive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    2,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    For my major, I had to graduate from an accredited program at an accredited university. My degree would have been worthless otherwise. Even if you aren't going in with a major in mind, I think the legitimacy of the college/university matters. I don't mean you must go to a big school or an expensive school. I mean there are places that are diploma mills, no employer is going to take it seriously. So do your homework.
    How do you know if a place is a "diploma mill" and what do I go if I find out that all the colleges I've been accepted into are "diploma mills?"
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    — Rachel Wolchin

    johari
    nohari
    avatar

  7. #7
    Senior Member Smilephantomhive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    2,578

    Default

    So if a pick a major later on, and know of some colleges that are ranked higher in that major, would it be wise/realistic to transfer? I know I would have to make good enough grades to transfer to a better university.
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    — Rachel Wolchin

    johari
    nohari
    avatar

  8. #8
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    9,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smilephantomhive View Post
    How do you know if a place is a "diploma mill" and what do I go if I find out that all the colleges I've been accepted into are "diploma mills?"

    Accreditation: Universities and Higher Education | U.S. Department of Education
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Smilephantomhive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    2,578

    Default

    Okay it looks like of the universities themselves are accredited, but the programs are not accredited in things I'm interested in majoring in. But now that I look at it, I don't think any do. I think there are only a certain amount of majors that can be accredited.
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    — Rachel Wolchin

    johari
    nohari
    avatar

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smilephantomhive View Post
    Yeah, I'm not worried about money tbh. But yeah ASU is higher ranked in some of the majors I'm interested in. So are you saying that internships matter the most?

    But yeah the one with the highest ranking does really good in certain things I don't care much about. And can I look organize the professor reviews on ratemyprofessor under major/subject?
    If money isn't an issue and you are still undecided on your major, then I would look into the school with the higher ranking. However, it all comes down to research and process of elimination. Internships are important and I would definitely look into them when you get to university.

    Yes, Rate My Professors has an option to look up reviews under each department.
    Like you - I am broken and fragile.
    Like you - I am tasting my heart for the first time.


    - Christian Death, The Drowning
    Likes Smilephantomhive liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO