User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ

Default Jobs for the unemployable

This is a thread about those that can't seem to find a job that fits them. If you relate, feel free to post here.

-

Right now I have a certain Typology Central member's voice in my head, screaming at me in rationalist and conspiracy theorist overtones. But I'll post this anyway.

I'll soon be not a teenager anymore, and I've yet to find a stable job or college major that fits me well. I'm not particularly good at anything and I feel useless. I feel unintelligent and like I can't accomplish anything. I don't want to disappoint my parents.

On career interest tests I keep scoring technician of some kind, or mechanical worker. And even then when I narrow it down to one career, it says that specific career may not be a good match for me. I know I couldn't be a machinist because I'm clumsy and not good with tools, yet it's the most recommended job choice. I've also gotten technical writer, copy editor, and proofreader as some choices higher up on the chain. I don't mind going to school to get credentials for a job, but currently I'm having a lot of trouble pinpointing my interests. The only thing I'm mildly good at is Spanish, and even then I'm only decently good at it and nowhere near fluent. I wouldn't be able to make money off of it since translating is a highly competitive field and it takes years to master a language fully, which I'm already far off enough from.

Currently I have a part-time job, but the job I have won't be enough to secure my future and it's something I'm really afraid about. I can't seem to move fast enough at this job, smile, or do the necessary things that would guarantee success and I'm worried I'll end up homeless since expenses are piling up quickly and my parents won't be around forever.

Does anyone have any advice for someone that could possibly be unemployable? I'm willing to work hard, but I'm just not good at anything... Perhaps the fact I can't smile is a sign I'm not willing to work hard but... I'm just looking for some insight as to why I'm so unimaginably dumb and what I can do about it or where I can go from here because from where I stand everything seems a bit hopeless.

Thank you.
    Likes SurrealisticSlumbers liked this post

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

You are most likely not unemployable. When I was in my late teens and early 20s I could barely keep a job, and now I'm doing as well if not better than most of my friends. Being a technical writer is in demand and you could easily start off at most with an associates degree and jump in the job market to gain more experience. I don't know much about the field but I recommend doing some research outside of career tests.

When I took my career test it told me I should have been a bus driver. I hate children and I hate driving. Goes to show what they know.
    Likes The Wailing Specter liked this post

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

You don't sound like you are unemployable. I remember when I was around that age, I was worried about the same things you are... I worried I would never find my niche or that no niche existed for me in society. It's a daunting task, trying to find your place in the world. I took a career test in college that said I should either join the clergy or be a counselor... I am not religious and while I do care about other people a great deal, I could not spend all day 5 days a week listening to people talk about their problems without absorbing those problems into my psyche.. So don't go based off those tests. At best, they help you narrow down a field. Mine did help me to determine that I wanted to work with people. (I work in human services, though not directly with individuals on a daily basis.)

I would keep studying Spanish, because even if you do not pursue translation, there is still a lot that you could do if you could speak the language well enough. Many positions favor individuals who can speak a second language. If you have a knack for it, you may have an edge in language and writing and perhaps you would be good at copy editing or technical writing. Or look into associate's programs near you. I know someone who has an associate's in Industrial Engineering and he makes 6 figures with overtime... He travels around to different plants and makes sure that all their safety measures are in place and things are functioning properly. There are so many options out there, and your skill set is needed somewhere. Sounds like you need to discover more about your skill set and interests by trying new things out.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1

Poor thing. Sounds like I'm reading a post from my husband. LOL

He's an ISTJ too. He struggled to find a career and is definitely clumsy. I helped him by observing his hobbies and interests and then recommending a career path for him. He's super techie and always understood IT stuff, but it wasn't his passion. He was in a band many moons ago and really took an interest in the recording side of it. He went to school, got a bachelors in audio engineering and mastered some pretty big records. He's also into video games, so now he is looking to do sound design for a game developer. It was really just about meshing all of his hobbies into one path.

But you're young. Your prefrontal cortex hasn't even matured yet. Don't make a desperate move and go to college and waste money until you know for sure what you want to do. Which probably wont be until around 25 years old. The best suggestion I can make is to find jobs that peek your interest now. You're going to have a hard time working hard and dedicating yourself if you have no interest in the area of work. You're not unemployable, just confused. If you want to use your Spanish skills, hospitals hire patient registration or admissions coordinators and they need people who are bi-lingual. I worked with a guy who had a bachelors in Spanish and he said he sucked at it really. He got a job doing the hospital patient stuff and did fine.

Enneagram
    947 so/sx

The answer will come to you soon, when you least suspect it. It will take some years to have that satisfactory aha moment, but when it does, suddenly the patterns that were trailing behind you start to make a whole lot of sense. Life is funny like that. You're young and it will clear up for you soon. Keep the fate.
    It's cold in hell.
    It's cold in hell, they said.
    It's cold in hell.
    In this endless winter.

MBTI
    istj

Git gud with tools.

I recommend seeing a professional career advisor, preferably one not at a high school or college. You've not given enough information to make a good case for any further recommendations tbh.
    If Men's Health magazine was true, you would never need to buy more than one issue.
    Likes acd liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESI None

i feel you (kind of) I have a hard time finding even shitty jobs because of my criminal record. and my resume sucks anyway because I've moved around so much over the years. I've had a few interviews recently where, after the interview, they remind me that they're only looking for the best. People who are exceptional. I have consistently been among the hardest workers everywhere I've worked (according to my bosses, not just me) I learn everything quickly, I get things done quickly, and I don't cause any problems. I'm honest, personable, reliable, etc. One stupid mistake I made 2 years ago has made it nearly impossible for me to find work. Basic work. My area has such a large population, it's hard for anyone to find a job, let alone someone with felonies and shit. I know other people my age who have their own homes and bought cars. People my age have graduated from college by now and have careers and I'm just over here like. I know what I want to do with my life but I buried myself alive with this felony I have. Fucking sucks.
    Likes geedoenfj, SurrealisticSlumbers liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESI None

I believe in useful unemployment, it ought to be a right.

Read Ivan Illich.

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    471 sp/sx

I thought this was titled "Jobs for the unenjoyable," and I was like "oh, this thread is for me..."