User Tag List

12 Last

Permabanned

Default I'm tempted to say this to an employer, has anyone ever said this?

I'm tempted to say, "Look, if Trump can get elected with no political experience and he can beat Hillary who has years of political experience, why can't I get hired into a top position I want? All I need is proper training and proper tutorials. I actually have a Bachelors in my field I want to have a career in and I at least have some experience already. Usually the ones who appear to not know much are the ones who do the best jobs because they have to prove themselves."

I wonder if anyone's ever said this. It's unfair that I have to have all this education, blah blah blah and still I can't get that top job I want because someone's always more qualified than me while people can get hired in like that who have no qualifications whatsoever for the position.

Enneagram
    9w8

This is, in point of fact, a terrible idea.

...which I want to see a video of ye doing in real life.

I more or less said this to my HR director, minus any reference to Trump, when I made a case for promoting me from plant/production line to office work.

I would use a little more tact, and emphasize that despite your lack of experience, you want to do more and you feel you have the drive and skill to succeed in the position to which you wish to be promoted. Remove any political references (you never know how your supervisors or HR people will lean and best not to assume in cases like this). Don't say "Usually the ones who appear to not know much are the ones who do the best jobs because they have to prove themselves." Instead, say that you are ready to prove yourself and feel up to the challenge, that you're willing to learn and put in the hours required to succeed in the position. And kiss the company's ass a little (without being too obvious about it)--don't just make it about you; include how you want to work to help the company more and how you feel this position will allow you to work to your full potential in helping the company succeed. Say that while it's been a privilege working in your current position, you feel you have reached the limits of your potential in that role and are ready to grow with the company, or some shit like that. Hiring directors and HR people often love that sort of shit if you aren't too fake about it.

Read some books like The Art of War and The 48 Laws of Power. There's some good practical advice in the latter, for instance, never outshine the master. Talk up yourself and your skills and knowledge in a way that does't make your superior(s) appear to know less than you. This was a hard one for me to learn, as I tend to prefer honesty and truth, but there's a way of making yourself shine without making your bosses look like incompetent morons (even if they actually are incompetent morons). Like, if your boss's boss compliments you on a job well done in front of your boss, don't take full credit, reference your boss's hard work too, but not in a way that makes you look like an obvious brown noser. This law is especially good advice if you're interviewing for intercompany promotions, as you don't want to bitch about your current department head to the head of the department you're applying to, as that dep't head might assume you'll do the same for him or her behind their back. Bad for morale, y'know? Someone like Trump can get away with talking shit like that because he's had the good fortune of being THE MASTER in most enterprises in which he's been involved. Don't assume that sort of bluster and presumptive assholery will work for you.

Don't do the following:

Trump also has money on his side, though. Do you?
    Likes Maybe, Peter Deadpan liked this post

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by -Outsider- View Post
    Trump also has money on his side, though. Do you?
    If I had money then I wouldn't need to apply for the top company position at all and I'd just do my own business like Trump's doing.
    Likes asynartetic liked this post

I bet if you said it with enough tact and had a couple good people that can back you up, I think you might be successful in your endeavor.
    Time's going to warn you with a whisper.
    Likes asynartetic liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Fox News would probably love your idea.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

You don't consider ranting on Twitter about Obama's golfing and birthplace conspiracy for the past 6+ years political experience in the US?
    Definitely not professional but when you're desperate, sometimes you go with the Hail Mary pass. It would have to be a one in a million chance that this would work lol.
    If you're good at being social, try networking in your field if you have not already.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1

As an introvert, I struggled to climb up the ladder because I mostly avoided social situations and group gossip. One thing I've learned over the years, is that if you have people skills...you can pretty much do exactly what you just said. Because I worked for a long time carrying large workloads and thought that my hard work alone would pay off, boy was I wrong.

Not that Trump necessarily has people skills...but he's social!

Likes chubber liked this post

MBTI
    istj

You could definitly say this. It only matters that the hiring manager likes you. If he likes you then you can say whatever you like.
    If Men's Health magazine was true, you would never need to buy more than one issue.
    Likes theflame liked this post