• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I'm tempted to say this to an employer, has anyone ever said this?

theflame

Permabanned
I'm tempted to say, "Look, if Trump can get elected with no political experience and he can beat Hillary who has years of political experience, why can't I get hired into a top position I want? All I need is proper training and proper tutorials. I actually have a Bachelors in my field I want to have a career in and I at least have some experience already. Usually the ones who appear to not know much are the ones who do the best jobs because they have to prove themselves."

I wonder if anyone's ever said this. It's unfair that I have to have all this education, blah blah blah and still I can't get that top job I want because someone's always more qualified than me while people can get hired in like that who have no qualifications whatsoever for the position.

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8
This is, in point of fact, a terrible idea.

...which I want to see a video of ye doing in real life. :happy2:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I more or less said this to my HR director, minus any reference to Trump, when I made a case for promoting me from plant/production line to office work.

I would use a little more tact, and emphasize that despite your lack of experience, you want to do more and you feel you have the drive and skill to succeed in the position to which you wish to be promoted. Remove any political references (you never know how your supervisors or HR people will lean and best not to assume in cases like this). Don't say "Usually the ones who appear to not know much are the ones who do the best jobs because they have to prove themselves." Instead, say that you are ready to prove yourself and feel up to the challenge, that you're willing to learn and put in the hours required to succeed in the position. And kiss the company's ass a little (without being too obvious about it)--don't just make it about you; include how you want to work to help the company more and how you feel this position will allow you to work to your full potential in helping the company succeed. Say that while it's been a privilege working in your current position, you feel you have reached the limits of your potential in that role and are ready to grow with the company, or some shit like that. Hiring directors and HR people often love that sort of shit if you aren't too fake about it.

Read some books like The Art of War and The 48 Laws of Power. There's some good practical advice in the latter, for instance, never outshine the master. Talk up yourself and your skills and knowledge in a way that does't make your superior(s) appear to know less than you. This was a hard one for me to learn, as I tend to prefer honesty and truth, but there's a way of making yourself shine without making your bosses look like incompetent morons (even if they actually are incompetent morons). Like, if your boss's boss compliments you on a job well done in front of your boss, don't take full credit, reference your boss's hard work too, but not in a way that makes you look like an obvious brown noser. This law is especially good advice if you're interviewing for intercompany promotions, as you don't want to bitch about your current department head to the head of the department you're applying to, as that dep't head might assume you'll do the same for him or her behind their back. Bad for morale, y'know? Someone like Trump can get away with talking shit like that because he's had the good fortune of being THE MASTER in most enterprises in which he's been involved. Don't assume that sort of bluster and presumptive assholery will work for you.

Don't do the following:

Maybe

MBTI Type
Ixxp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I bet if you said it with enough tact and had a couple good people that can back you up, I think you might be successful in your endeavor.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Fox News would probably love your idea.

acd

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You don't consider ranting on Twitter about Obama's golfing and birthplace conspiracy for the past 6+ years political experience in the US? :D
Definitely not professional but when you're desperate, sometimes you go with the Hail Mary pass. It would have to be a one in a million chance that this would work lol.
If you're good at being social, try networking in your field if you have not already.

Blacksheep2017

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
As an introvert, I struggled to climb up the ladder because I mostly avoided social situations and group gossip. One thing I've learned over the years, is that if you have people skills...you can pretty much do exactly what you just said. Because I worked for a long time carrying large workloads and thought that my hard work alone would pay off, boy was I wrong.

Not that Trump necessarily has people skills...but he's social!

uberrogo

MBTI Type
istj
You could definitly say this. It only matters that the hiring manager likes you. If he likes you then you can say whatever you like.

theflame

Permabanned
You could definitly say this. It only matters that the hiring manager likes you. If he likes you then you can say whatever you like.

Lol that's true. My last interview at the job I'm at now, I told the new manager how I was robbed of working with a shit staffing company who had bad management. I spent 7 months at that staffing company only to never be hired in and the entire company folded due to its bad management and I said I never wanted to work for someone like that again. I like to work for an organized company. It's because they liked me and they still hired me even though I said that other stuff about the other company.