• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I'm going to overcome my morbid fear of bees and become a beekeeper

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Beekeeping can be good money if you diligently and consistently attend to the hives' needs for 10 years or so. 1 hive costs 250 bucks, it costs 100 bucks to maintain a hive over a season, and you can pull in 500 bucks gross profit per season per hive starting season 2 (You only get 350 bucks gross profit the first year, since you need to keep honey in there while they winter the first time, but they make more every year after that). Ultimately, I'd like 1,000 hives, and to buy out all the competitors around here. There is one big competitor and 4-5 smaller ones in the are just a couple years ahead of me.

People look at me when I mention beekeeping since I've always flinched around bees, but I'll be in a suit, so I'll get used to it. I like the bees because it is a simple business model. You can't fuck it up.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Go for it!. Its nice to see you now have a solid and firm path to the future now.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Manuka honey costs a fortune; if you can find bees that make this type of honey, you can undercut the Kiwis and Aussis.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Awesome, go for it! :hifive: I have full faith in you, you brave young soldier you! :D

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sounds like a cool job. Can I ask what sort of work schedule it entails? I.E. average daily hours worked?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
45 minutes per hive per week

I think you'll find honey bees are a fairly docile and gentle animal. I think a lot of people's fears stem from association with similar animals such as wasps, hornets, and the dreaded killer bees.

If you have an entrepreneurial spirit and love your work, then I think this could pan out for you. And you'll get to be out in the open fresh air. If it really takes off then you can probably hire help so you won't need to put as much time into the actual beekeeping aspect of the business.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Go for it. You sound like you've done some research on the subject and know what you're talking about.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I think it's a good idea. A farm down the road from me did just that and I (along with a lot of people) buy honey from them. They sell by word of mouth and at the local food co-op so no big overhead or marketing. I think they strain out the big chunks but otherwise it's raw right from the comb honey.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ok but there are things that can go wrong with this that you might need to factor into your profit margin estimates... e.g if you get a particularly aggressive hive you may have to kill the queen and start from scratch. It's not as simple as buy a hive and get rich with time. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, the suppossedly "docile" bees swarmed and killed two of my dogs. I don't want bees anymore.
[MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION]

Starry

Well, the suppossedly "docile" bees swarmed and killed two of my dogs. I don't want bees anymore.

Jesus MQ I am so sorry this happened. I actually don't even know what to say...I'm stunned. Just that I'm thinking of you and surrounding you with love.

rav3n

Don't forget that bees gather pollen from close to their hive, to as far as 6 miles away. Evidence is mounting that GMOs have a substantial hand in colony collapse so if you're near a farm or farms with GMOs, reconsider beekeeping.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Don't forget that bees gather pollen from close to their hive, to as far as 6 miles away. Evidence is mounting that GMOs have a substantial hand in colony collapse so if you're near a farm or farms with GMOs, reconsider beekeeping.

Part of me wonders if it's the pesticides on gmos...

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

There are lots of those, but I already have the bee stuff. Also, I got struck by lightning yesterday and today I found out I'm rotting alive, so I may not live much longer, anyway.

-Outsider-

Milkwalker

Jesus fuck. Holy hell that is terrible. I'm so sorry. :(

Is there a way to keep any of your pets (current or future) away from the hive? Probably never a good idea to allow the two to mix.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Jesus fuck. Holy hell that is terrible. I'm so sorry. :(

Is there a way to keep any of your pets (current or future) away from the hive? Probably never a good idea to allow the two to mix.
I built a 5-foot tall fence to separate the areas, but two dogs were able to jump it.

Permabanned
Beekeeping can be good money if you diligently and consistently attend to the hives' needs for 10 years or so. 1 hive costs 250 bucks, it costs 100 bucks to maintain a hive over a season, and you can pull in 500 bucks gross profit per season per hive starting season 2 (You only get 350 bucks gross profit the first year, since you need to keep honey in there while they winter the first time, but they make more every year after that). Ultimately, I'd like 1,000 hives, and to buy out all the competitors around here. There is one big competitor and 4-5 smaller ones in the are just a couple years ahead of me.

People look at me when I mention beekeeping since I've always flinched around bees, but I'll be in a suit, so I'll get used to it. I like the bees because it is a simple business model. You can't fuck it up.

sound plan

Starry

There are lots of those, but I already have the bee stuff. Also, I got struck by lightning yesterday and today I found out I'm rotting alive, so I may not live much longer, anyway.

alice-in-wonderland-mad-hatter-quotes-Favim.com-272664.jpg

One of my great grandmothers was struck by lightening through the window of her farmhouse. It blew her out of her lace up boots that had instantly melted to the floor boards...and left a burned outline of her footprints long after they had been pried from the wood. This did many things to her. People in my family said she was psychic from there on out. I merely remember her waking us kids up one night when there was a thunderstorm and keeping us huddled in the middle of the living room for protection. She lived past the age of 100 though...she certainly was not rotting alive.

Now what professional provided you this rotting-alive-earth-short-timer diagnosis?

Also...remember when I suggested that you go in and be reassessed for autism based on when you were given that diagnosis? Did you ever do that?