User Tag List

View Poll Results: Preschool, Yes or No?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (explain)

20 52.63%
  • No (explain)

18 47.37%
123 Last

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Default Preschool, Yes or No?

Is preschool necessary? I went to preschool, but my Mom worked full time. Our older two children went and had fun but I wouldn't say they learned how to count or read in preschool. What do you think?
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INFP

I voted no, because I feel that it's important for kids to be with their mother during their early years.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Unless a) you have an only child who doesn't get enough opportunity to learn socialization with peers or b) life is too hectic to not send your kid to preschool, I think it's a nice opportunity but certainly not necessary.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Preschool is good for kids that wouldn't have otherwise been introduced to their social peer group before Kindergarten.

The main reason for preschool, in my eyes, to is teach kids how to play with each other, not to fight, how to share....

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

I really enjoy having our three year old home with me. It's an easier schedule as in I don't have to drop her off at 9 am, only to turn around and pick her up at noon. We have the day to ourselves and if I need free time I do have a reliable drop in childcare center that I am 100% comfortable leaving her for a few hours here and there.

The preschool she was signed up for has not worked out for us. I have found her an even better option but it's 15 minutes away, $240 per month (three days a week, 4 hours each day) and I still would have to drop her off and pick her up in a timely manner. IOW It would be more pressure for me to be on time which I suck at.

I feel guilty not sending her to preschool since all the moms I know send their kids to preschool.

I go to the gym every morning and they have an excellent childcare area for her age group and in the warmer months a really nice playground for them to play in as well as a pool. She is very social and has learned all of her socialization skill at the gym.

I am torn and could go either way. I hate making decisions. I wish I were more NT.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    xNTJ

I went to preschool. I hated it. But, then again, I've always been a bit on the socially retarded side.

My son went to the same preschool, under new ownership and new management. He loved it. He did learn things, like his colors and counting, but it was a supplement to learning from the family, not a replacement. Plus, it gave him the opportunity to do cool things that I wouldn't have done, like go to Buccaneer Bay (a water theme park) on a regular basis in the summer and to go on pony rides.

When he was older and went to an after school program, it included things like swimming lessons.

If my husband and I do manage to have another baby (which we're hoping for), that baby will most likely not go to preschool full-time since I'll be at home. But I do like the idea of a little kid play group at the park or something, since the next baby will be basically an only child. (My son is almost eleven and decided to move back to the States a year ago.)
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

MBTI
    xNTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I really enjoy having our three year old home with me. It's an easier schedule as in I don't have to drop her off at 9 am, only to turn around and pick her up at noon. We have the day to ourselves and if I need free time I do have a reliable drop in childcare center that I am 100% comfortable leaving her for a few hours here and there.

The preschool she was signed up for has not worked out for us. I have found her an even better option but it's 15 minutes away, $240 per month (three days a week, 4 hours each day) and I still would have to drop her off and pick her up in a timely manner. IOW It would be more pressure for me to be on time which I suck at.

I feel guilty not sending her to preschool since all the moms I know send their kids to preschool.

I go to the gym every morning and they have an excellent childcare area for her age group and in the warmer months a really nice playground for them to play in as well as a pool. She is very social and has learned all of her socialization skill at the gym.

I am torn and could go either way. I hate making decisions. I wish I were more NT.
    You know, it sounds like you *are* making the right decision. You have a place for you to get the free time that you need. She's getting socialized while you work out. Since those needs are being met, can you honestly think of a logical reason to send her to a preschool? I can't.

In fact, what you're doing is exactly what I hope to be doing with my next child.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Necessary? Nah. A good thing? Usually, but that's assuming it's a good fit, which it sounds like it isn't.

disregard- why are preschool and children being with their mothers mutually exclusive? Preschool is usually just 2-4 hours a few days a week. There's still plenty of time for children to be with their mothers AND their fathers.

Even if both parents must work full time and children need to be in outside care for more time than that, I don't think it means they will suffer any lack of attachment to parents. I used to, but then I was a childcare provider and saw children doing just fine with whatever routine their parents came up with.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
    You know, it sounds like you *are* making the right decision. You have a place for you to get the free time that you need. She's getting socialized while you work out. Since those needs are being met, can you honestly think of a logical reason to send her to a preschool? I can't.

In fact, what you're doing is exactly what I hope to be doing with my next child.
    Is she getting socialized enough though? You don't want to risk her being one of the uncool socially awkward ones once she starts real school. That can ruin someone's whole social school career.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Is she getting socialized enough though? You don't want to risk her being one of the uncool socially awkward ones once she starts real school. That can ruin someone's whole social school career.
    Pfft. 5 is plenty early.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii