• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Preschool, Yes or No?

Preschool, Yes or No?

• Total voters

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
definitely yes.
Reason: bold bits esp.
Yes from me too - I was very shy, it helped a lot. I would have found it really difficult to go to school after spending those extra years at home.

At the other extreme I've seen it help my little niece to interact better with other children too. She's very tall for her age, extremely exuberant and affectionate. She had to learn how to play properly without injuring others, lol. She's in her first year of school now. No way would she have dealt with the routine of school without pre-school first. (Her development went ahead in leaps and bounds after a few months at pre-school too).

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yes.

I started school at age 3 in Japan. After we moved to the states, I was accepted to two gifted early college programs by the time I was 15. Early education never hurts.

I'm pro-preschool but I do have to point out that correlation is not causation. You were probably born with the native intelligence that got you into the early college programs. I was also in gifted programs and began taking college classes at 14, without the benefit of preschool. I wouldn't argue that NOT going to preschool made that happen, though.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
2 years of preschool, learned nothing and still came out a social retard... Then again, I was the only one there who could count to 100, add, and recite the planets of the solar system.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am amazed at how many of you actually remember preschool. :shock: Is it weird that I don't remember any of it, really? Just a few vague visual flashes, but it's not like I remember talking to the kids, or what it was like, or whatever. I just know I went. Maybe it was only a few times a week though. :huh: I really have no idea.

I don't see how there would be many negatives associated with it, and from a socialization perspective it would probably be good.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I am amazed at how many of you actually remember preschool. :shock: Is it weird that I don't remember any of it, really? Just a few vague visual flashes, but it's not like I remember talking to the kids, or what it was like, or whatever. I just know I went. Maybe it was only a few times a week though. :huh: I really have no idea.

I don't see how there would be many negatives associated with it, and from a socialization perspective it would probably be good.
I barely remember any of grade school. I remember a few specific things, like watching the Challenger blow up. I sorta remember a few of my teachers, but that's it. I don't remember kindergarten at all. For all I know, my parents could have lied to me and never sent me to kindergarten.

Hmm, this makes me wonder how much I've forgotten.

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
My vote is "yes."

I did my student teaching last semester with first-grade and kindergarten students. The school that I was in had a sister school that offered a preschool program within the community. To me, it seemed that the students that were previously enrolled in preschool were much more accustomed to being in school and being around other kids.

Furthermore, the preschool program taught colors, letters, and letter sounds, so in a lot of cases, I could tell the difference between those that had attended presechool and those that didn't when it came to literacy achievement.

Really, a lot of what kids get in preschool is socialization, extracurricular stuff (like finger paints, dress-up, etc.), but some preschools include literacy practices. Since my major includes literacy practices in education, I can say with confidence that early literacy (emergent literacy) is so crucial in those first few years. If your child has been read to consistently and is interested in books, letters, etc. then she is off to a very good start. If there are good educational and literacy practices being exercised in your home, preschool is probably not necessary, but IMO it will likely bring more benefit than harm. As with all things, check out the preschool ahead of time and make sure it fits your child's needs as well as your needs.