• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Preschool, Yes or No?

Preschool, Yes or No?

• Total voters

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm pro-preschool if it's good. I went to preschool and when I graduated high school probably 50% of the people who graduated in the top 5% were people I went to preschool with, which is saying something for a class of ~1000. Obviously it wasn't all due to preschool but I generally was friends with the people I knew from pre-school up until I was almost out of high school (same classes, etc.).
Yep, that doesn't shock me!

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Necessary? Nah. A good thing? Usually, but that's assuming it's a good fit, which it sounds like it isn't.

disregard- why are preschool and children being with their mothers mutually exclusive? Preschool is usually just 2-4 hours a few days a week. There's still plenty of time for children to be with their mothers AND their fathers.

Even if both parents must work full time and children need to be in outside care for more time than that, I don't think it means they will suffer any lack of attachment to parents. I used to, but then I was a childcare provider and saw children doing just fine with whatever routine their parents came up with.

I wouldn't want them to be unnecessarily subjected to other kids at such an impressionable age. I was a very sensitive child, afraid of large groups of people from whom I couldn't defend myself, so I won't subject my kids to it.

I am going to home-school my children, so that may be an important factor to consider concerning of my opinion.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I command a gang of 100 5 year olds, they tell me what's up.

Sure they don't care, they don't know what's going on. My only reason for proponing preschool is so they aren't socially lagging behind their peers.

I'm trying to tell you that, by and large, they're not. All of that stuff tends to wash out by grade 3 no matter what you do.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Just out of curiosity for those of you who are pro preschool, what are your thoughts on homeschooling?

I think there have been studies that show homeschooled kids score very high on tests, but school isn't just about learning English, Math...

Every homeschooled kid I've met has been hopelessly awkward and socially and culturally naive.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
and you can't really argue against butt-loads.
Listen dude, I have a an appointment in 15 minutes and I am being an ENFP-nes, right now, by playing on here instead of getting to my appointment, I will be back with data and research to support my stance, believe you me!

:yes:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I wouldn't want them to be unnecessarily subjected to other kids at such an impressionable age. I was a very sensitive child, afraid of large groups of people from whom I couldn't defend myself, so I won't subject my kids to it.

I am going to home-school my children, so that may be an important factor to consider concerning of my opinion.

What if your kids are extroverts, or introverts who enjoy the company of other kids for short bursts? Homeschool was my default option before I had children, but my first child ended up being such an extrovert that I didn't think I could meet her social needs without sacrificing my own (i.e. spending hours each day with groups of other homeschooled kids and their parents, which seems like hell to me).

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I think there have been studies that show homeschooled kids score very high on tests, but school isn't just about learning English, Math...

Every homeschooled kid I've met has been hopelessly awkward and socially and culturally naive.

IMO there's some chicken-and-egg going on there. A lot of kids are homeschooled BECAUSE they have something that sets them apart and makes public school hellish for them. I know it was the case for me- I was super-sensitive and I had been in school for six years (five of them happy) the first time my mom homeschooled me. She ended up finding a private school halfway through the year, where I went for the next three and a half years, but then I was homeschooled again for high school. Homeschool didn't make me socially weird, I was homeschooled because I was socially weird. It worked out when I got to college and met other socially weird people that I meshed with.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Ivy: I know I am the type of person that will change according to the scenario. I will not blindly stick to the decision to do anything (or not do anything), so I can definitely see myself acting in a similar manner to yourself if I have a child that is a social butterfly. I want to do what is best, what will make my child happiest.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
A lot of kids are homeschooled BECAUSE they have something that sets them apart and makes public school hellish for them.

Yeah I was going to note these exceptions in my last post. The school environment isn't that important to where the need for experiencing it outweighs how it just doesn't work for some people.

I am against someone else choosing homeschooling for a kid who wants and could benefit from the public/private school experience.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yeah I was going to note these exceptions in my last post. The school environment isn't that important to where the need for experiencing it outweighs how it just doesn't work for some people.

I am against someone else choosing homeschooling for a kid who wants and could benefit from the public/private school experience.

I can go with this. I'm all for choosing whatever works for a particular family/child. Thing 1 loved her preschool, which was pretty structured. It wouldn't work as well for Thing 2 so he's in a place with more of a loose format. I wasn't satisfied with the local public option here so we chose a charter school for Thing 1 where the kids are on a first-name basis with teachers, they do narrative progress reports instead of letter grading, and the older students interact with the younger ones on a regular basis. It's not a black & white thing.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
where the kids are on a first-name basis with teachers, they do narrative progress reports instead of letter grading, and the older students interact with the younger ones on a regular basis. It's not a black & white thing.

Now if only all k-12 schools did this...

Richard0612

MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't think it necessary by any means (I didn't go) but it can be a nice experience, depending on the child. Some children will thoroughly hate the experience (introverts, perhaps?) and it would be best for the parent(s) to teach the child on a more one-to-one basis, whereas more extroverted children may feel happier in a more social environment and get something out of it.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
My kids went to a co-op play-based nursery school. They didn't learn their letters or how to read there. They learned how to be social beings, listen to adults other than their own parents, share and take turns, put toys away, sit in a circle to listen to a story, sing and take turns talking about their weekend, birthday, new sibs, vacations, holidays, etc.

They were also exposed to a rich variety of creative materials - clay, paint, sand, dress-up clothes - and play equipment - slides, swings, twizzlers, climbing structures.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
My kids went to a co-op play-based nursery school. They didn't learn their letters or how to read there. They learned how to be social beings, listen to adults other than their own parents, share and take turns, put toys away, sit in a circle to listen to a story, sing and take turns talking about their weekend, birthday, new sibs, vacations, holidays, etc.

They were also exposed to a rich variety of creative materials - clay, paint, sand, dress-up clothes - and play equipment - slides, swings, twizzlers, climbing structures.

I think this was what my pre-school was like. Some kind of hippie created play center. I think that's why I have such a favorable view of pre-school.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I feel there's nothing in preschool that the parent can't teach themselves.

So it's more a matter of preference. If you think your child is a bit socially challenged, or needs the aid of other teachers that have degrees in how to handle children that are being a bit fussy about learning, blahblahblah, go for it.. but there are still other downsides like schedule conflictions (unless you have a convenient stay-at-home parent, or a neighbor across the street you trade carpooling with week to week like did.) and the spread of colds and diseases amongst young kids and groups.

I went to preschool, learned stuff, and did well. I can't remember if I liked it or not, I was too young.. but I presume that I hated waking up and getting ready every morning, since I still hate that now. In the end, it did its purpose..

Not necessary, but beneficial (which would thus make it necessary to me). That's my vote on it.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

:wubbie:

I often tell my son's preschool teacher that I wish I could go back and be a 3 year old in her preschool. Come to think of it, I've said that to my daughter's 4th grade teacher as well. Good schools are so awesome. Bad ones are worse than no school at all, IMO.

ArbiterDewey

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Yeah, I went to the same pre-school as Meta and ETC (my real brother.) It was enjoyable, but didn't serve a noticeable purpose. Some friendships made there still exist today (BMS and Meta.)

I felt as though being immersed by peers was a good thing, but not if you're of higher intelligence than most, as you don't have the same interests, even that early on. Not being taught any life-lessons wasn't helpful, just "play. learn. eat. sleep." meh.

The only real thing that stuck was musical memorization of the alphabet and months of the year. I really do hate having to go through most of the alphabet still to find the letter placement when listing things alphabetically.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Is she getting socialized enough though? You don't want to risk her being one of the uncool socially awkward ones once she starts real school. That can ruin someone's whole social school career.

Have you ever been 4? Kids at that age don't interact, much less have a social career. They color in unison until one kid steals another kid's crayon. Then crying ensues. You don't get meaningful relationships started from a mutual interest in paste flavor.