User Tag List

View Poll Results: Preschool, Yes or No?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (explain)

20 52.63%
  • No (explain)

18 47.37%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Preschool, Yes or No?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Yeah I was going to note these exceptions in my last post. The school environment isn't that important to where the need for experiencing it outweighs how it just doesn't work for some people.

I am against someone else choosing homeschooling for a kid who wants and could benefit from the public/private school experience.
    I can go with this. I'm all for choosing whatever works for a particular family/child. Thing 1 loved her preschool, which was pretty structured. It wouldn't work as well for Thing 2 so he's in a place with more of a loose format. I wasn't satisfied with the local public option here so we chose a charter school for Thing 1 where the kids are on a first-name basis with teachers, they do narrative progress reports instead of letter grading, and the older students interact with the younger ones on a regular basis. It's not a black & white thing.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Minister of Propagandhi Array ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    where the kids are on a first-name basis with teachers, they do narrative progress reports instead of letter grading, and the older students interact with the younger ones on a regular basis. It's not a black & white thing.
    Now if only all k-12 schools did this...

I don't think it necessary by any means (I didn't go) but it can be a nice experience, depending on the child. Some children will thoroughly hate the experience (introverts, perhaps?) and it would be best for the parent(s) to teach the child on a more one-to-one basis, whereas more extroverted children may feel happier in a more social environment and get something out of it.

Free-Rangin' Librarian Array Jae Rae's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

My kids went to a co-op play-based nursery school. They didn't learn their letters or how to read there. They learned how to be social beings, listen to adults other than their own parents, share and take turns, put toys away, sit in a circle to listen to a story, sing and take turns talking about their weekend, birthday, new sibs, vacations, holidays, etc.

They were also exposed to a rich variety of creative materials - clay, paint, sand, dress-up clothes - and play equipment - slides, swings, twizzlers, climbing structures.
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

Minister of Propagandhi Array ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    My kids went to a co-op play-based nursery school. They didn't learn their letters or how to read there. They learned how to be social beings, listen to adults other than their own parents, share and take turns, put toys away, sit in a circle to listen to a story, sing and take turns talking about their weekend, birthday, new sibs, vacations, holidays, etc.

They were also exposed to a rich variety of creative materials - clay, paint, sand, dress-up clothes - and play equipment - slides, swings, twizzlers, climbing structures.
    I think this was what my pre-school was like. Some kind of hippie created play center. I think that's why I have such a favorable view of pre-school.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I feel there's nothing in preschool that the parent can't teach themselves.

So it's more a matter of preference. If you think your child is a bit socially challenged, or needs the aid of other teachers that have degrees in how to handle children that are being a bit fussy about learning, blahblahblah, go for it.. but there are still other downsides like schedule conflictions (unless you have a convenient stay-at-home parent, or a neighbor across the street you trade carpooling with week to week like did.) and the spread of colds and diseases amongst young kids and groups.

I went to preschool, learned stuff, and did well. I can't remember if I liked it or not, I was too young.. but I presume that I hated waking up and getting ready every morning, since I still hate that now. In the end, it did its purpose..

Not necessary, but beneficial (which would thus make it necessary to me). That's my vote on it.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post

I often tell my son's preschool teacher that I wish I could go back and be a 3 year old in her preschool. Come to think of it, I've said that to my daughter's 4th grade teacher as well. Good schools are so awesome. Bad ones are worse than no school at all, IMO.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

EvanTheClown (ETC) Array Clownmaster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

I went to 2 years preschool, and was apathetic with it.

Because you can't spell "Slaughter" without "Laughter"

Senior Member Array ArbiterDewey's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ

Yeah, I went to the same pre-school as Meta and ETC (my real brother.) It was enjoyable, but didn't serve a noticeable purpose. Some friendships made there still exist today (BMS and Meta.)

I felt as though being immersed by peers was a good thing, but not if you're of higher intelligence than most, as you don't have the same interests, even that early on. Not being taught any life-lessons wasn't helpful, just "play. learn. eat. sleep." meh.

The only real thing that stuck was musical memorization of the alphabet and months of the year. I really do hate having to go through most of the alphabet still to find the letter placement when listing things alphabetically.
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
    --Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

Nothing is worse than active ignorance.
    --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right.
    --Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Is she getting socialized enough though? You don't want to risk her being one of the uncool socially awkward ones once she starts real school. That can ruin someone's whole social school career.
    Have you ever been 4? Kids at that age don't interact, much less have a social career. They color in unison until one kid steals another kid's crayon. Then crying ensues. You don't get meaningful relationships started from a mutual interest in paste flavor.
    I don't wanna!