User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    I was being sarcastic.

What I meant was you're being too literal and linear. So you want to do civil engineering but your workshop is too small... so what? Build your self a scale model of the bloomin firth of fourth in your garden. Take up model railways as a hobby and do the large scale stuff so you can really flex your construction skills.

Oh and if you're nose wrinkles at those prospects then perhaps it's not civil engineering you are actually interested in but more specific projects?
    Heh, the CNC machine is just the tool It allows me to do a lot more than just have a CNC machine - such as percise architectural design, as well as machining for my more mechanical projects.

For example, I'd need a pretty large scale CNC machine in order to build my negative form for my submarine (This is partially a joke - my first project will be a scale model of my submarine <_<)

(The advice I'm taking is: If you like building things, get a mini-lathe and mill and convert it to CNC! That's what I'm doing, when I have time. The combo will allow you to create almost any other machines you can think of. After looking into it, I realised that it does indeed do just that, so I'm starting small and working it out for now.)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Heh, the CNC machine is just the tool It allows me to do a lot more than just have a CNC machine - such as percise architectural design, as well as machining for my more mechanical projects.

For example, I'd need a pretty large scale CNC machine in order to build my negative form for my submarine (This is partially a joke - my first project will be a scale model of my submarine <_<)

(The advice I'm taking is: If you like building things, get a mini-lathe and mill and convert it to CNC! That's what I'm doing, when I have time. The combo will allow you to create almost any other machines you can think of. After looking into it, I realised that it does indeed do just that, so I'm starting small and working it out for now.)
    What I'm saying is that if you like building stuff then quit running around wondering how you can make money. You already make enough (as far as I can tell). So just get building.

Oh and whilst you're there I'll take a condo in South Carolina. No rush. Anytime before Chrismas is fine.

Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ISTP

What I'm saying is that if you like building stuff then quit running around wondering how you can make money. You already make enough (as far as I can tell). So just get building.

Oh and whilst you're there I'll take a condo in South Carolina. No rush. Anytime before Chrismas is fine.

Hah, well, money is tight because I'm putting my wife through school at the moment And time it tight because I'm also doing school. So yah, now is not the... most conductive... time to get into things.

I wasn't worried about making money - the CNC thing is my project, so to speak, which will help me with others

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Hah, well, money is tight because I'm putting my wife through school at the moment And time it tight because I'm also doing school. So yah, now is not the... most conductive... time to get into things.

I wasn't worried about making money - the CNC thing is my project, so to speak, which will help me with others
    I'm just not getting why you felt the need to expand your hobby into a career if you've already got one..

Oh and don't worry, once your woman has finished that finishing school she'll know how to properly take care of you so you'll have lots more spare time. It's expensive but it should be worth it in the long run.

MBTI
    ISTP

I'm just not getting why you felt the need to expand your hobby into a career if you've already got one..
    Because a hobby is something I enjoy, while the career isn't

Oh and don't worry, once your woman has finished that finishing school she'll know how to properly take care of you so you'll have lots more spare time. It's expensive but it should be worth it in the long run.
    Cost analysis says yes! She was also willing to support me through school, if I wanted (after she was done, I mean)... but I don't see that happening now.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Because a hobby is something I enjoy, while the career isn't
    Suggestion... spend less time at work

If changing your career makes no sense then how about changing your approach? I mean if we started talking sick days... just how many can you get without attracting too much attention?

Cost analysis says yes! She was also willing to support me through school, if I wanted (after she was done, I mean)... but I don't see that happening now.
    She's going to finishing school!!! :eek:

Where did you find her?

MBTI
    ISTP

Suggestion... spend less time at work

If changing your career makes no sense then how about changing your approach? I mean if we started talking sick days... just how many can you get without attracting too much attention?

Hah! Been there, done that... I get decent vacation too, don't get me wrong. But the job needs to be 'done', and that means that excuses don't get me very far. There is definitely a tradeoff between being paid well and ensuring you keep your job

She's going to finishing school!!! :eek:

Where did you find her?
    Mutual friend