User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    As far as I know, it is mandatory. That is, to call yourself an engineer and use p. engineer, you need four things - age, degree, certification and 4(5) years work.
    I HAD my P.eng. I allowed my membership to lapse since in my current field (electronics), companies hire on the basis of experience rather than title. If you're going into Civil or Mechanical, the membership might be required for you to officially sign off engineering designs. In electronics, the only benefit is that you can put the word "Engineer" on your business cards.

The profession exam is purely about engineering law and ethics.

Due to the pay of mechanical engineers and job market, I'd probably take civil.
    I thought the average pay for Mech was higher than Civil. I don't think Civil is very creative. It's mostly about verifying conformance to existing building standards. Also, I think the unemployment rate is quite high in that field.

If you're more interested in the topic rather than the money, I would recommend electrical. The work is much more creative than civil or mechanical. I'm formerly a mech. I quickly got tired of it. The job involves mostly project management, fitting parts together and lots of drafting (CAD). The stuff you learn in mech courses really isn't useful for hobby projects.

I learned electronics and software on my own and eventually changed fields. I like it much better. It involve much more creative design, troubleshooting and constant learning.

Hopefully I don't offend any Mech's or Civils. It's just an opinion based on personal experience.
    Plus, I want to build things, and developments sounds like more fun, although most of my projects that I'd like to work on would be more EE or ME.
    If you like building things, get a mini-lathe and mill and convert it to CNC! That's what I'm doing, when I have time. The combo will allow you to create almost any other machines you can think of.

I don't know what your current degree is in. If it's IT, you might be able to switch over to embedded programming within the company. This will get you into a position where you can quickly learn electronics without going back to school. The topic really isn't that difficult to learn on your own if you're motivated. I didn't even have to take any night courses.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    I HAD my P.eng. I allowed my membership to lapse since in my current field (electronics), companies hire on the basis of experience rather than title. If you're going into Civil or Mechanical, the membership might be required for you to officially sign off engineering designs. In electronics, the only benefit is that you can put the word "Engineer" on your business cards.

The profession exam is purely about engineering law and ethics.
    Ahhh! That's interesting - the only thing I knew for sure is that you needed the Engineering bit to sign off (which I believe makes a big difference for Civil, but now that I think on it, that's my only data point.)

I thought the average pay for Mech was higher than Civil. I don't think Civil is very creative. It's mostly about verifying conformance to existing building standards. Also, I think the unemployment rate is quite high in that field.
    Locally, I believe it is the other way around. On the other hand, property boom may have distorted that, and is in the process of changing.

I looked up some stats to answer this, and I got to look at average wages. They were much lower than I expected. o_O That makes me requestion everything again!

If you like building things, get a mini-lathe and mill and convert it to CNC! That's what I'm doing, when I have time. The combo will allow you to create almost any other machines you can think of.
    I don't have a lot of room to take on any projects. I've been looking at building my own CNC for a while but space. A repeated theme for me Well, that and time, right now.

But I think this thread has shown a repeated theme - I'm better off doing what I like doing on my own, and supporting it in other ways. And if I want the courses for whatever reason, going professional doesn't make sense, freeing me up to take what I need when I need it, or doing it on my own.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

So basically you want the money of your current career but you still want to do engineering.... well that's simple. Employ yourself. Go engineer something. Why do you care if you're qualified for the position if you're hiring yourself for the job? Why do you care if you're being paid for the work if your working for yourself?

So go build a bridge or a brick wendy house. If there's nothing for you to build for yourself then what about for others?

I guess I'm asking, why does this need to be a career change? Why can't it be in addition to?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTJ

The opportunity cost trap is what happens when you really would like to do something, but have to give up too much to get it.
    I wish I could remember where I saw it, but just last week, I was reading about this. I think it was in the context of an enneagram type, but I'm not positive. Maybe it'll come back to mind later.

I'm pretty sure the point was that there is a type that weighs the pros and cons, and frequently the cons will outweigh the pros in their mind, and prevent them from doing things.

I have a feeling when I find what I am thinking of it's going to be totally different.

Anyway, the point is that it can be a Type thing.
    I'll come back when I remember.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Yeah, I'm currently still working out the cost to benefit of me changing carrers. I'm currently the third tax bracet from the left so it's not like I'm making that much to begin with. The other side though, is all my loans that still need to be paid off; also pulling the plug on this stability will make it harder on me to get some things that I am emotionally needing. The other problem is I have too many directions I could possibly go in with no real ability to find out which one would be truly better for me.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm disappointed. I still can't remember where I saw it, but it said that some types measure the cost versus the gains, and certain types will let the costs stop them, and some types don't.
    Not real helpful, I know.
    :rolli:

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    So basically you want the money of your current career but you still want to do engineering.... well that's simple. Employ yourself. Go engineer something. Why do you care if you're qualified for the position if you're hiring yourself for the job? Why do you care if you're being paid for the work if your working for yourself?

So go build a bridge or a brick wendy house. If there's nothing for you to build for yourself then what about for others?

I guess I'm asking, why does this need to be a career change? Why can't it be in addition to?
    All of which I agree with - and I do have a lot of projects that I enjoy working on (I've taken the CNC thing seriously, from above - great idea).

It's a matter of time and ability. My attitude was to get the ability and find a job that would pay me to do it I actually figured that it would pay off in the long run with a higher salary, but that doesn't seem to be the case, making the whole thing pointless.

I've dropped the engineering idea. I've worked through it several times and it doesn't work out, emotionally or pratically. I have to suck up the next few years, perhaps, and then look towards my projects on a larger scale.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I'm disappointed. I still can't remember where I saw it, but it said that some types measure the cost versus the gains, and certain types will let the costs stop them, and some types don't.
    Not real helpful, I know.
    :rolli:
    From what I remember, it is Js that let the costs stop them.

My way is a P distance. I don't let myself feel very easily - it has to work on paper (Everything does)... but that means I really suck at making decisions for my long term well being (mentally/health/emotionally)

MBTI
    INTJ

From what I remember, it is Js that let the costs stop them.

My way is a P distance. I don't let myself feel very easily - it has to work on paper (Everything does)... but that means I really suck at making decisions for my long term well being (mentally/health/emotionally)
    Well, I can tell you I'm somewhat relieved to hear you have shelved the idea.
    Perhaps the economy in Canada is more stable than it is here,
    but here in the States we're just thankful to HAVE a decent paying job.
    If you've got plenty of money, you could get started with
    getting out of debt and saving up for a rainy day.
    Your options might look different to you in a year or two.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Well, I can tell you I'm somewhat relieved to hear you have shelved the idea.
    Perhaps the economy in Canada is more stable than it is here,
    but here in the States we're just thankful to HAVE a decent paying job.
    If you've got plenty of money, you could get started with
    getting out of debt and saving up for a rainy day.
    Your options might look different to you in a year or two.
    Thankfully it is better up here (somewhat, still - we tend to lag, so who knows)...

But I don't have any debt and do have the money saved up... It isn't about not being able to do it, it's about having to give up my future earnings that kills me. But, I worked it out in easy terms - projects I could do by saving money vs projects I would take after my degree.

Doesn't even compare. Opportunity cost wins again!