• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you want another job ?

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I love my job, it is great; but I'm afraid of my job and I am an agency worker labourer in construction which sees me go from site to site.
I hope because I've got a lot to give, that I haven't reached my zenith; so much so that that I dream of more and try to live the dream as much as I can with some ideas in motion that really need me to earn more money BUT!; If/When I ever get to, yup; Hoping certain tax laws don't change, I think I know what to do (am still learning); but nonetheless, Need money. I earn more than minimum wage but... Not enough to p*ss away on once in a lifetime trips and stuff.

This fear of work is real too; I'm not too fond of heights and I don't want to die/get seriously hurt at work; But I'm like that at a lot of sites I go to unless it's a cool building I go to. I guess I get my kicks out of being afraid? I seem to recall the same of my secondary school experience at a rough secondary school.
I was afraid when I found out about the school and it was 'cool' but more in a disruptive sort of way etc etc ... and work is fun! but I find fun by conquering my fear.
Today; first day on site, first look at the staircase made up of Scaffolding I was thinking 'so here it is; heights'..
Was okay and 10 minutes later I was proud of myself for confronting the scary looking heights I found 'so my fear remained'... If I get a site I'm unfamiliar with; I get the address; It's like... Hello fear; will they have ladders? Will they have scaffolding? Will they have scary stairs? - and I arrive on site and see none of that; today however today was not my day for that, but; fear faced in 5 minutes; I like being afraid of something I have to do at work and then feeling comfortable with it afterwards; I hate however, and this has probably happened twice, when I see something I'm afraid of, I do it, I'm afraid, and at the end; I'm thinking 'I'm not doing that again' those I hate. To take the ironic P*ss with my fear and work and fate.
I was sent to a site in Wimbledon back in 2015 for my first agency, and that day was spent sitting in the front seat of this van driving from site to site for this scaffolding company which went like; 'who wants to ride in the van and who wants to stay here and work?' I was already dressed for work as I arrived on site in my uniform and the other guy didn't even have the correct safety equipment so I used that to get out of doing their; whatever they had that other guy doing; my work day went like this;
I found out my agency sent more than the client wanted;
I went to a site from Wimbledon (as the idea was to go from site to site with this scaffolding company' First site they went to (I went to 1 site that drove me around a bunch)... Looked like hell! The company who hired the scaffolding company who hired me required me to take a short test to certify me to working at height within their own company, so for 'just because I had to' I had to get this certificate from this random construction company in the UK (I can't remember it) but I'm qualified to not go through that test again/work at heights.. (I didn't even go more than 1 floor up but still needed to work on that site).. I did work there, first time on a scaffold which seemed better than the bricks these labourers (my counterparts of this site who hired the scaffolding company that hired me who I noticed doing their jobs which is my usual job and having a way more rotten time of it).
having to mess around with breaking there backs, my scaffolding experience was great compared to how hard those people were being worked; that's how hard that one looked and the toilets were bad; I was there an hour maybe, getting to my first ladder and scaffolding; I was the one that day netting it/putting net on the outside;... I think this was in Kingston, London; then... riding around neighbourhoods and roads alien to me; out of no where was Harrods's.
When I saw Harrods's I went from not knowing where I was to wondering how I got to Harrods; we passed Harrods to go Soho and Covent Garden; I had my Saturday even at the time back then (I only kept it in the end because I had my fun with it); So it was a first for me to be in my day job clothes in Soho; I even had worked promoting this club in Covent Garden; So knew where to sneak off too (and I did, that van never had no bathrooms) to the loo in Covent Garden. Same pub I used to waste my time in when I promoted in Covent Garden I escaped to in my day job that day; that job was one the best;
In the end I finished early and got dropped off in Oxford Street. - Come to think of it, that was my 3rd ever job I worked in construction was that 1 day in that van, the first was half a month in Banstead, Surrey. My first day I ever worked; I hated it, said no to ladders, didn't like the commute, was late; hated it, but a first is a first.
My job the next day after that was the only job EVER I've worked in my home native London borough of Croydon; I was cross town, but that's okay, a little commuter bus took me all the way there from near my house; It's ALSO the only site where I got stoned; AND!.. I never once initiated the weed! and it was the same people!
2 people on that site I was on from the day after the van in Soho was in Croydon (not my part of town but still local); The only time I ever worked in Croydon and I got stoned twice (once during break) He had a spliff, it was a remote part of town; extra long lunch break to be able to go to the shops to buy something to eat; got stoned with that guy who I walked to lunch with who bought a spliff; Then... another day, this other guy who lived near me (the first stoner lived near the site in that part of Croydon, the 2nd, lived near me)... At the end of the day, he bought in weed to roll and after work he wanted me to roll a spliff (don't think he knew how)... Only time I ever worked in Croydon is also the only site I ever got stoned in and it was stoned with 2 people I work with who gave me weed; weed is still illegal here; but, I love Croydon, really I do. - After that, what happened was, I found a better agency; so I went from obscure sites to the agency I'm with now.
My first job for them but was a day or 2 after my Croydon job ended (lasted about a week)... Was; I registered with them; and first site I got sent to was a big tall safe building with lifts and views, that lasted a day; the next day they sent me to The Shard! for weeks; I'm a Londoner, so that is a big deal to me kinda, that building, The Shard; then... After that, the very next job was TO THE GHERKIN! - This agency I like have a lot of high profile sites that are famous to me as a Brit; (British Science Museum, Sky Studios) (both Sky and Science Museum were night work too, which I prefer... Had my night at the museum and everything and I like Knightsbridge. but, going straight from The Shard to the Gherkin, the client was the same company but the differences were; I can only use a Star Trek analogy for this; The Shard is like the U.S.S Voyager, modern, proud to be serving on it; the site at the Gherkin was like being beamed to a Borg Cube occupied by the federation; they a had 'Star Fleet Uniforms' but (I got given my uniform for that client at the Shard site/first site I worked for them); The Gherkin... Same company, different colour vests (I've seen / been to other sites with this same colour vest).. but at the time it was my first time seeing that different colour vest but same logo... So I felt like I beamed from Voyager, to a Borg Cube and I was to help the federation who were roaming everywhere in their off colour uniform...
I was in the Gherkin for a week and a half and I never managed to get my bearings on that floor I worked on; the floor just went around and around like, forever on a curve; and I couldn't just look out the window, I had to sneak off on that floor just to get a glimpse of the views from the Gherkin, but I did, and part of the building's frame work on my site it was exposed so it made it a special type of site, like certain class of site too, at the Gherkin.
Surreal.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, flip houses. Working on it, we will see. Have to replace my income plus benefits to quit my job though.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Tonight on my way home, I was reminded of just how cool my job is, and why I love it so;
This same agency that gave me 2 weeks work on The Shard, followed by a week and half on The Gherkin; The same agency that gave me a week of night work at the Science Museum and 1 night down at the local TV station/ Sky Studios, I was working Sky Sports News one night randomly..(I've been to the Science Museum before... but the rest were places I've heard of and probably wanted to see anyway).
On Monday, I start at a location I've heard of, didn't know where it is; or otherwise would have probably passed it to see it; I start there; Not only am I going to see it; I'm going to go around it and work there and everything...
Yaya! - Excited about work Monday, and the site I was on this week was great and I happened to know/like the neighbourhood; I was on Oxford Street towards Soho; I had to lol, when I checked in on Facebook, it offered me to check in at my LTD (UK LLC company) based in Soho, saying it was 500m from me and Oxford Street was also 500m from me 'even though I was on a site on it'; that made me lol.

*The Shard and The Gherkin to someone living in London is like what The Space Needle is to someone living in Seattle; 'sort of' a big deal/kinda/it's one of those things.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
*The Shard and The Gherkin to someone living in London is like what The Space Needle is to someone living in Seattle; 'sort of' a big deal/kinda/it's one of those things.

It really isn't. Liver here my entire life and only went in inside for the first time last summer when my Mother in Law visited. It's actually very nice. I htought it be like a lame guided tour but you stay up there all night if you want. Very peaceful-after all the families have left.

I'd be happy with just about any job.

Lark

I'd like to see a universal basic income introduced so that it would be possible to maybe cut my hours in my existing job and work a second job doing something else or in order to split a year between two locations or two fields within my line of work or try an even more ambitious job rotation experience over a longer time.

I can see wanting to work flexibly, changes to hours of work and norms of work and wanting to try out as many different sorts of work being the future following a successful UBI implementation, capitalism has only half realised the potential of an economy based upon/serving primarily productivity and freedom of choice, if even half, work could finally be the rewarding experience it always should have been in a post-scarcity society.

This is the vision thing which has been lost while the right concentrates on scaring people with terrorism, crime and the half baked well meaning ideas of liberals and the left concentrates on championing the fashionable opinions and underdogs of the moment. Another world is possible, it should matter to everyone who has fully gotten a grip upon the fact that they have only one life to live, being beats having and the greater part of being is rewarding experience.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
My job is perfect. Dont know what to do with all the money. Thought about buying an electric car now for 36k euros but I dont need a car...

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
In my resignation period (2 weeks to go) after almost 10 years. Company is too coldblooded for me. Construction sector. Going back to ICT sector. New job starts in 3 weeks.