• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Hole that is Food and Beverage

balloongod

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I come here to lament and toast to all of you who are currently stuck in the F&B industry and hope for eventual escape.

Can you tell me what you do, and your plans to work your way out? What do you want to be doing in 1, 5, 10, 15 years as far as your career?

Also, throw in a nice paragraph about your most recent customers/ co-workers/ work environment that made you want to up and leave, for a bout of good fun.

Alternatively, if you love your F&B job, please give me the recipe for your sparkle dust.

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I worked washing dishes in a restaurant and occasionally helping with food prep. Even though I left and am now working in a (very) part-time receptionist position at a local museum, I may find myself going back to doing something restaurant-related (waitressing, hostessing, etc.) in my life..

I don't think we can ever really "escape." Most employment in this country is at-will, and if you're currently in a "career" or find yourself doing something else for a living, don't get too comfortable, because that's all subject to change. Don't wanna get too political, but year after year workers are being sat down & told that their jobs no longer exist (shipped overseas, done by a machine, etc.) and therefore must look for some other work. When a comparable job just isn't on the horizon, you've gotta do what you can to avoid going homeless and many times, that's the service sector, where you have the best chance of getting hired as an adult of working age.

There are too many experiences in that particular work environment (restaurant I worked at), as well as my current job, which made me pray to get out of there. But couldn't because I had no upward mobility. And still don't. And will not look down my nose one day at being forced to take a job waiting tables if career plans don't pan out or I'm short on cash. Did it before; can do it again.

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8
I come here to lament and toast to all of you who are currently stuck in the F&B industry and hope for eventual escape.

:happy2:

Can you tell me what you do, and your plans to work your way out? What do you want to be doing in 1, 5, 10, 15 years as far as your career?

Tending bar. Not sure I wish to "work my way out". There's an art & science to it - and some extremely interesting history, too.

1: Tending bar.

5: Tending bar in another country... or working abroad as a translator or interpreter, most likely in the service of some political entity.

10: 'Ze gods only know.

15: Underwater basket weaving.

Alternatively, if you love your F&B job, please give me the recipe for your sparkle dust.

:huh: Er... a macchiato before shift, shaken with dead baby jokes during work... double strain over fresh ice and garnish with decent floor managers? Oh, yes, and work in a state that has one of those semi-livable minimum wages - that's relatively essential.