User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Default Want to strangle a coworker or client - Tell us Why ! Share !

Hey everyone,
    Thread is self explanatory I think

Anyway, feel free to share in your despair.

My latest story:
    I just got the 1000th slap worthy remark from a guy I work with and am fighting with all my will to remain professional.
    Like the type of person who hinders your work but still insist on being part of everything that's not part of his skillset and insist upon making decisions he's not qualified to make then blames the issues on the guy saying we shouldn't do what he says (yours truly)

This particular guy always sends emails with everyone in copy making it sound like I did something wrong for doing my job, ask for detailed timelines for iterative projects (so, by definition we can't have a precise timeline for this), makes every project he forces me to modify based on his vision crap etc. I'm a TAD fed up at this point as my usual strategy is to become that person's boss but I can't as we're not in the same office / company. And 50% of my billings are with this .. person.

In my case it's a client, someone working with me would not survive long in an office with me honestly (based on past office experience). But with a client (well someone working for said client but liaising with me in my work) I can't quite do that.

Currently doing part of the missions with someone new in that company, it's going splendidly (did more in 2 weeks than in past 3 months with 1/4th the effort and with better results) but that guy keeps barging in (because he was the initial client-side project leader) and asking for obnoxious stuff. (like some difficult to make yet quasi 0 added value updates on existing software that's going to create weeks of bugs to do in a rush when he was supposed to take a decision 4 months ago which would have allowed us to integrate this much more easily at the start of the project)

@miss fortune @Anaximander @SpankyMcFly @MDP2525 @Cloudpatrol @Forever
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE
    Likes Numbly Aware, chubber, Abendrot liked this post

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Good thing, if you are boss, you can actually strangle them and just tell the others: "oh that guy, well he quit and went for Hawaii, I think."
    Likes EcK, MDP2525, Numbly Aware, geedoenfj liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

@EcK If you complained enough, could you get him fired?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

holy shit, he sounds like the night shift guy I work with!

my first month of working my new role he sent out an email every night listing everything I did that he didn't like and then cced in all of the high up bosses so that they'd think I did something wrong... my boss asked him to stop, his boss asked him to stop and he didn't... finally I threatened to report him to HR for harassment if he didn't stop and the emails magically stopped coming

it made my first month a lot worse than it could have been and I spent a lot of time doubting that I was cut out for the job at all

sorry that you work with someone dreadful @EcK
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett
    Likes EcK liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Admiral Crunch View Post
    I can't really get a CLIENT fired, no.
    Also will that did happen in the past to people working with me (simply because I was more competent and that ended up showing when people can see both parties every day) I find it ethically reprehensible to lower myself to this level of asinine office politics.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

... In theory.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Good thing, if you are boss, you can actually strangle them and just tell the others: "oh that guy, well he quit and went for Hawaii, I think."
    I'm not a violent man, but the thought might have crossed my mind.
    The irony is that the few times I've met him in person well. He gave every sign of being the kind of person who'd be my bitch within a week's time. But via internet (we do most of our work in different countries) he's a know-it-all jerk.
    The thing is I actually kinda like him, and he's quite smart and it's always refreshing not to have to always talk with people with whom I share a 50 IQ gap. But otherwise yeah, he acts like a freaking child playing at being a manager.

... In theory.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Pizza Hut refuses to sell some people pizzas sometimes....Maybe you could humiliate him so he'd avoid you.
    Likes Numbly Aware liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Pizza Hut refuses to sell some people pizzas sometimes....Maybe you could humiliate him so he'd avoid you.
    I think someone who manages people and doesn't know the first rule of management shouldn't get beyond coordination level jobs no matter their intelligence.

the rule being: don't 'shame'/reprimand people you're going to work with publicly because they'll hate you for it. If you have a disagreement do so privately. Share praise, reprimand 1 on 1.

I mean, it's really not complicated. I've figured that out after a few months of working and I'm supposed to be the obnoxious entp here.

... In theory.

Likes SpankyMcFly, Numbly Aware liked this post

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

@EcK It sounds like you're dealing with an overly ambitious (but naive to the business) type person. Sometimes I will think someone is being a major dick but really, they simply don't know what they are doing - or know the basics. They are "faking it to make it" not realizing they are expending their energy in inefficient ways.

I don't know if that holds true for your situation. But in response, I would just ask why they need the information and to what purpose (with the said expectation that you intend to provide it). If they are answering legitimately, then you can say, sure no problem but "if I did that it won't give you what you are asking for" (explain why). I can do this (what makes sense to you and what helps everyone) and explain why that is more beneficial to solving his issues.

I don't know. That may be way off base but clients and their reps are far from efficient or easy. In fact, total roadblocks but I have found most times finding out their priority first, clarifies how/what you can do for them and doesn't piss them off. While still giving you a chance to explain how your job works best in an attempt to show how misplaced their expectations are.
    School them. It's tedious af but it works.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance
    Likes Numbly Aware, EcK liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    @EcK It sounds like you're dealing with an overly ambitious (but naive to the business) type person. Sometimes I will think someone is being a major dick but really, they simply don't know what they are doing - or know the basics. They are "faking it to make it" not realizing they are expending their energy in inefficient ways.
    "Oh so you've met him too ?"
    yeah that was my analysis as well.

I don't know if that holds true for your situation. But in response, I would just ask why they need the information and to what purpose (with the said expectation that you intend to provide it). If they are answering legitimately, then you can say, sure no problem but "if I did that it won't give you what you are asking for" (explain why). I can do this (what makes sense to you and what helps everyone) and explain why that is more beneficial to solving his issues.
    Oh, I do that, the guy's just stubborn as fuck. At one point i spent 7 hours on Skype with him to try to disuade him from forcing me to take a project in a horrible UX (user experience) and UI (user interface = design) direction. Didn't work. That was the LONGEST CALL IN MY LIFE, I wanted to die.
    I don't know. That may be way off base but clients and their reps are far from efficient or easy. In fact, total roadblocks but I have found most times finding out their priority first, clarifies how/what you can do for them and doesn't piss them off. While still giving you a chance to explain how your job works best in an attempt to show how misplaced their expectations are.
    School them. It's tedious af but it works.
    Well dunno, doesn't seem to work with this guy. Every time I take him 'aside' and try and gently explain how things actually work to him he goes back to his 5 year old child behavior within a week. And starts putting everyone in copy of abnoxious mails - like he just sent me a mail telling me not to contact a third party developer for troubleshooting of an issue he wasn't able to fix in 3 weeks. I got everything planned in one hour. If I had invited him to the call it would have taken 2 and added 20 hours of useless work on top of it. I mean if I was to answer his question directly instead of trying to be polite and diplomatic I'd have to say - essentially "You are not competent to be part of these meetings, it's my job, and you've been trying to get it done for montsh now, I've given you every element you needed to make a decision, you haven't - so please stop making people's work harder and let me take care of it without adding to my work needlessly for the N-th time this year."

... In theory.

Likes MDP2525 liked this post