• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Don't know what to do

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hi, everyone.
I've been debating whether to post this for weeks. I'm in a difficult period in my life at the moment and don't quite know how to express everything I'm feeling but I'll try my best. And if any of you have advice, I would truly appreciate it. This may be a long-ish post...

I'm lost. I feel like I'm in limbo and don't know which direction to take. I've always been one to learn things on my own and have a multitude of interests. I left college because I could not decide on what to focus on. I initially started with Psychology since human behavior has always fascinated me but after moving away from home and taking a long hiatus to focus on myself, I never went back. I then decided that the time I wanted to stay in school (not much) would not make a Psych degree worth it. Years have passed by and I still don't know. I don't necessarily want a college degree if I don't have to get one though. I work in healthcare at the moment and have worked my way up to management with experience alone, but the stress is too much for me (some of you are probably familiar with this if you've read my other thread) and I'm looking to get out. I just don't know if I should stay in healthcare with my current employer -- good security and benefits -- and transfer to another office (who knows what would happen then? I've done that once already with not so good an outcome) or just switch completely and find a new job somewhere else...start new...
I've also thought about going back and maybe completing some sort of degree that'll help me get a job in Healthcare Technology/IT since I already have all that experience as a jumping off point but I don't know if I'll like it since I have never been exposed to it. I don't want to waste my time + money on something I'll regret later. This is how I feel about pretty much everything I've thought of studying...

I also would love to be self-employed and maybe do something with art or writing.. something that can help me be my own boss. I don't have to do it full time but I would love if it can at least help me so that I would only need a part-time job (even if it's my current one). The question is what? I love art and have tried many different mediums... painting, photography, collages, etc. Only thing I have not tried is pottery and clay which I think I would like a lot but have to try it out. Nothing really speaks to me. I think I'm pretty good with photos and collages but not enough that I could make money with it. I'm thinking of selling my art and showing it at local art fairs so we'll see how that goes. Poetry is another hobby of mine. I've received positive feedback on it and thinking of writing a chapbook (possible an e-book?) but have no poetry published yet. Special fx makeup is an additional interest of mine I want to look into and may have an opportunity to try firsthand this year during Halloween, and I would absolutely love to get in the haunt industry somehow but I don't even know where to begin and it's very specific.
In the meantime, time passes by and I'm here just going through the motions and nursing this hollowness. It's like I'm in a dark tunnel and I can't find the light.

It's a horrible feeling, all of this. I know I'm not suppose to have everything figured out at twenty-seven but I want to at least have some direction, something to look forward to.

I know people who sell their art and other crafty stuff on Etsy and make pretty good money. Some are even able to work full time as well. I saw some of your photography and I think you are very talented. Maybe you can try selling photography prints on a site like Etsy? And even imprint your art on t-shirts, mugs, bags, etc.

I know it sucks not knowing what to do in life. Been through that too. I'm pulling for you. :hug:

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I know people who sell their art and other crafty stuff on Etsy and make pretty good money. Some are even able to work full time as well. I saw some of your photography and I think you are very talented. Maybe you can try selling photography prints on a site like Etsy? And even imprint your art on t-shirts, mugs, bags, etc.

I know it sucks not knowing what to do in life. Been through that too. I'm pulling for you. :hug:

It's very difficult, almost suffocating. I may give Etsy a try and see how it goes, just have to gather some more work. Thank you so much for your kind words, I appreciate it. :hug:

Methylene

Now with more salt.
MBTI Type
LVEF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Have you considered graphic designer? It allows you to work with art almost independently and is a safe choice.
Alternatively, since you like make up, you could do a course to become a makeup artist.
Best of luck! :hi:

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Have you considered graphic designer? It allows you to work with art almost independently and is a safe choice.
Alternatively, since you like make up, you could do a course to become a makeup artist.
Best of luck! :hi:

Thank you for your response! :) I've thought about graphic design but I've read there's also instability and lots of restrictions/demands. I want to be able to have a lot of creative freedom. As far as the makeup, the only thing that interests me is fx makeup.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
Thank you for your response! :) I've thought about graphic design but I've read there's also instability and lots of restrictions/demands. I want to be able to have a lot of creative freedom. As far as the makeup, the only thing that interests me is fx makeup.

Is there a market for the fx makeup where you live?

I have friends who do that (a lot of movies are made here) and they are consistently busy. They LOVE what they do. They also travel and do fun projects that offer a huge variety of looks.

I feel like this would hugely suit you. I sort of imagine your closet looking like this (wink):

liakat_zpscmeclfrj.jpg

I agree with [MENTION=27809]Stargaze[/MENTION] that you could likely sell some of your stuff on Etsy. Your collages are unlike anything else I have seen and are heart-grabbingly stunning. If you can learn a bit about how to funnel people to your stuff (connect all your social media sites, have a top search result on Google...) and establish a bit of a brand, I think you could have a nice side-business.

Could you talk to some established fx make-up artists in your state and ask them what the career forecast is like, the hours are, the wages, cost of start-up, education/experience needed...? It might not be as high of a wage, initially, as you would make in medical-related fields but it would feed your heart and spirit.

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Is there a market for the fx makeup where you live?

I have friends who do that (a lot of movies are made here) and they are consistently busy. They LOVE what they do. They also travel and do fun projects that offer a huge variety of looks.

I feel like this would hugely suit you. I sort of imagine your closet looking like this (wink):

liakat_zpscmeclfrj.jpg

I agree with [MENTION=27809]Stargaze[/MENTION] that you could likely sell some of your stuff on Etsy. Your collages are unlike anything else I have seen and are heart-grabbingly stunning. If you can learn a bit about how to funnel people to your stuff (connect all your social media sites, have a top search result on Google...) and establish a bit of a brand, I think you could have a nice side-business.

Could you talk to some established fx make-up artists in your state and ask them what the career forecast is like, the hours are, the wages, cost of start-up, education/experience needed...? It might not be as high of a wage, initially, as you would make in medical-related fields but it would feed your heart and spirit.

A million thanks for such a thoughtful post. :heart: :heart:
All of that sounds amazing and a lot of fun, I would love to do it. Where I am in PA there's not a big market for that, although there are a lot of artist workshops and fairs but nothing really focused on fx that I'm aware of. In Pittsburgh is different - Tom Savini has his school there - but that's all the way on the other side of PA, very far from where I am.
I think Philly (closer to me) probably has more to choose from, I'll definitely do some research. Ideally I would love to find a local place that I can go and meet the artists, observe, ask questions, volunteer, learn as much as I can. I also may have an opportunity for next Halloween/haunt season (if they rehire me) to work with a local theme park in their makeup department with masks, makeup, and airbrush.

Etsy also sounds great. I'm planning on starting a shop once I get some more work done and organize myself. I think prints may be a nice way to start at first.. don't know what else I could sell with collages. What do you think? I'll also have to find a way to get some nice marketing going, as you mentioned. Hopefully I'll gather enough interest in my work to have a little side-business. :unsure:

:hug:

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
I really appreciate your response. Because I actually always feel a bit shy making suggestions, but I really believe in your talent!!

I love the idea of shadowing artists and asking a million questions. Every time I have 'moved forward' as an entrepreneur it has been from asking successful people if I could tag along and interview them. People generally enjoy getting to impart wisdom and experience and it's cyclical = the more grateful you are (never mind volunteering!!) the more they want to share :)

I think there is so much you could do. I was blown away when I took a look at [MENTION=1206]cascadeco[/MENTION]'s blog and how she sells her prints on cards. I think your pictures would be beautiful sold in that manner.

I get a kick out of this lady and her vibe makes me think a bit of you. Her teacup idea is so simple, but so original. If you get a chance to look at her Instagram, I think you might like it...

Insult Teacups for the Lady who Speaks her Mind. — Miss Havisham's Curiosities

I don't mean that you would sell stuff like the insult teacups but I could see you selling stuff that compliments you work. Like writing about the abandoned buildings in your area or selling Victorian style hair lockets...or things of that nature.

Is that nuts? :p

Sometimes the aspects of starting a business can seem overwhelming. Especially if you are already working. In times like that, I make myself a deal that I will devote 20 minutes a day on it. It's usually enough time to research one thing (online marketing or branding or self-publishing) or make a phone call... By splitting it up like that, it feels manageable.