User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Passive income

Default Passive income

How possible is it really to develop passive income streams?

I've read about this, often in little articles which I suspect are largely online or offline bait and switch, like the careers fares at which there wasnt anyone recruiting just lots of people selling their services in creating CVs etc.

Anyway, I do hear, and do not doubt, about cases in which people have derived passive income as a consequence of good luck or good fortune or chance, like the videos of babies which go viral or the video that guy produced raving about his mate's choice in clothes or white vans shoes.

Good luck to them and I like to hear about luck or good fortune which is entirely attributable to chance as much as the next person but I have read of a number of internet personalities who suggest its possible to engineer this, with a super blog or something along those lines.

What do you think? Is it a thing or is it just snake oil or is it something which has reached peak supply already so with a handful of new media providers, such as insider, unilad, people are awesome, its all more or less covered?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I've been doing a lot of podcast listening about the subject of Financial Independence, usually passive income is a huge part of this. I'm a bit suspicious of the term, from what I understand it's misleading, any kind of income is work and benefits from some sort of ongoing management. I do think there are plenty of opportunities in small business ventures requiring minimal upkeep, and the right research and eye for it, in other words, for people willing to do a little work.

a certain cartoon about an ebook that vasilisa posted somewhere on the forum comes to mind, no idea where though
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I've been doing a lot of podcast listening about the subject of Financial Independence, usually passive income is a huge part of this. I'm a bit suspicious of the term, from what I understand it's misleading, any kind of income is work and benefits from some sort of ongoing management. I do think there are plenty of opportunities in small business ventures requiring minimal upkeep, and the right research and eye for it, in other words, for people willing to do a little work.
    I agree, it is misleading. We own some commercial property and that is often considered passive income. Yes a management company handles it day to day but we have a good amount of involvement. We meet with them monthly, oversee the tenants, the taxes, pay for upkeep, improvements and insurance for all of the above. So there is work required. I've often thought about buying a self-storage place or auto-car washes but even those need regular attention.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Qlip liked this post

MBTI
    STP

I know someone who jumped on that train. She is still recieving income from her downstream years later. She couldnt live off of it. Everything requires upkeep to maintain, nothing is ever truly passive. Its all based on effort and risk.
    Im out, its been fun

Quote Originally Posted by Poki View Post
    I know someone who jumped on that train. She is still recieving income from her downstream years later. She couldnt live off of it. Everything requires upkeep to maintain, nothing is ever truly passive. Its all based on effort and risk.
    write a book/song = sales/royalties
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    write a book/song = sales/royalties
    It bombs and you make almost nothing. How many singers make it rich enough to do that? How scalable is it really? The richest and biggest singers/book writers work their ass off.
    Im out, its been fun

It bombs and you make almost nothing. How many singers make it rich enough to do that? How scalable is it really? The richest and biggest singers/book writers work their ass off.
    None of what you wrote challenges the accuracy of my post.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    None of what you wrote challenges the accuracy of my post.
    Unless you view completeness of data as accuracy
    Im out, its been fun

Unless you view completeness of data as accuracy
    Not really, you tried to challenge a broad mix of financial success, scalability and effort ROI. The answer is analysis and implementation to a particular situation/desired goal. You just alluded some kind of unspoken doomed statistical outcome, which is like saying if you do it wrong it won't work, to which one can simply reply, that if you do it right it will work.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard