breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Admiral Crunch View Post
    Youtube might be a way to make passive income. It'd be great if there were more small cute animal videos.
    That wouldn't be passive income in the classic sense. After all, it would be generated by active effort....making videos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingforPeace View Post
    That wouldn't be passive income in the classic sense. After all, it would be generated by active effort....making videos.
    I know, but someone said that a novel or hit song was a passive income, so I thought that I'd include this too....I hope you bothered that other person about their idea as well.

I wish for more cute animal videos. Squirrels would be fine. I'd like to see squirrels completing obstacle courses.

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Admiral Crunch View Post
    I know, but someone said that a novel or hit song was a passive income, so I thought that I'd include this too....I hope you bothered that other person about their idea as well.

I wish for more cute animal videos. Squirrels would be fine. I'd like to see squirrels completing obstacle courses.
    Novels and hit songs are not passive income, but the reward for work.

Passive income would be the child of an author or songwriter living off their parent's work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so
    Likes Ursa, Wind Up Rex liked this post

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingforPeace View Post
    Aye indeed it is. I know several YouTube 'content' creators. It can be quite a bit of work.

@OP Passive income is a deceptive way of describing it. Sketchy at best.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Passive income as I define it is doing the bulk of the work one time and reaping benefits from that over time.

Three weeks to make a website that generates revenue for years after with only minimal amounts of attention - passive income.

I write an ebook and it sells regularly through ads or through natural search - passive income.

Create a video on youtube and it generates revenue after the content creation process - passive income.

Earn residuals and royalties from your creative work - passive income.

Earn money from tenants etc - semi-passive. You have to touch it more than some passive revenue streams, but not as much as a full-time job unless you have a lot of properties to manage.

Go to a job daily - active income. Making a website for someone else - active income. As soon as I stop working, I stop being paid. That is the difference.

With passive income, you keep getting paid whether or not you do any meaningful work after the initial setup. There is often a lot of work to get going, but eventually you reach a point where the passive income stream kicks in and there's little you need to do from that point forward. Income will continue to be generated for as long as it lasts - in some cases months, but often years. If I spend only an hour or two a week to make sure my income streams keep performing, that's hardly being active in the sense of a 9 - 5 job.

Passive income does not mean you don't do anything at all and get paid. Passive income isn't like winning a lottery, but it can be the next best thing -- the gift that keeps on giving.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
    Likes Lia_kat, balloongod liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    Aye indeed it is. I know several YouTube 'content' creators. It can be quite a bit of work.

@OP Passive income is a deceptive way of describing it. Sketchy at best.
    Math, time spent vs roi, the longer roi lasts the more passive it is, is 9-5 is instant cutoff, content creation is longer. Add more of the latter = gg.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    Math, time spent vs roi, the longer roi lasts the more passive it is, is 9-5 is instant cutoff, content creation is longer. Add more of the latter = gg.
    Right I get that. I think that by focusing on the word passive or Return On (of ROI), it can be easy to gloss over the I or Investment, i.e. work.

What I find ironic, anecdotally, is just how much WORK these wannabe slackers put into their pursuits of 'easy' and/or passive incomes that often Peter out or are dead ends. I say wannabe because their energy output can really spike when they're onto something, effectively working. *lol + facepalm*
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

Right I get that. I think that by focusing on the word passive or Return On (of ROI), it can be easy to gloss over the I or Investment, i.e. work.

What I find ironic, anecdotally, is just how much WORK these wannabe slackers put into their pursuits of 'easy' and/or passive incomes that often Peter out or are dead ends. I say wannabe because their energy output can really spike when they're onto something, effectively working. *lol + facepalm*
    Energy spike as a gauge for wonnabehypeaddictiveness?
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Babe Ruth had more strikeouts than home runs. But he likely felt the home runs made every swing of the bat worthwhile.

Not sure why you find the term passive income "sketchy". As above, it just means your hand doesn't have to touch the wheel everyday to make money. Sure people are always looking for the get-rich quick solution, but if your business lends itself to such opportunities, looking to generate solid passive revenue streams is simply good business. They can often supplement your other work and with a bit of luck and elbow grease, supplant that.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

AJ Drenth (the Personality Junky guy) wrote a good article on passive income involving ebooks and blogging.

PS - Very sorry - I can't find the link. It was originally sent to my email. I'm very bad for reading a high volume of material and then mulching it all together, but I often can't document a lot of it. My bad. However, as I looked up passive income, there were quite a few resources that looked like they could have some good tips. I'm currently in the midst of a bit of career upheaval, and so am considering various projects that might provide some more security and opportunities for me in the future.