User Tag List

Thread: Is big 5 better for finding suitable career than MBTI? Where's the best big5 test?

Junior Member Array
    MBTI
    intj

Default Is big 5 better for finding suitable career than MBTI? Where's the best big5 test?

I read (sources provided) that the Big 5 is better for finding career compatibility than MBTI. Can anyone familiar with the Big 5 elaborate more on this and/or provide some good links (e.g. to online articles, websites, etc) explaining more about this?

Btw, What is the best online test for the Big 5?

Source:

Why the Myers Briggs test is not useful in picking a career - 80,000 Hours

How effective is Myers-Brigg at predicting job satisfaction for different personality types? - Quora

Junior Member Array
    MBTI
    intj

BTW, I got RCOEI, and I'm an INTJ.

not the actual events Array Thirteenly's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

I got SLOAI and I'm an ENFJ. I have gotten other results on it, though. I'd say it's helpful if you combine it with the MBTI and maybe a learning style test. Technically MyPersonality.info does that. It's neat to see.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Socionics
    SEE Se

I feel that MBTI is more career oriented. Though a bit stereotypical, it focuses on, well, "focus". Big 5 is more about about integrity or "health" of the personality. @Thirteenly brings up an interesting idea. Foucs+temperment would probably lead to better career choices that are more "geared" toward an individual.
    Time You Enjoy Wasting is Not Wasted Time - Marthe Troly-Curtin,

MBTI
    INFx
    Enneagram
    9w1

To be fair though, the Big 5 can be roughly correlated with the MBTI letters dichotomy. Like this:
    • Openness -> Sensing/Intuition
    • Conscientiousness -> Judging/Perceiving
    • Extroversion -> Introversion/Extroversion
    • Agreeableness -> Thinking/Feeling

The Neuroticism trait doesn't really have an MBTI equivalent, but the comparison is noteworthy nonetheless. I'm fairly sure there's a proper career personality test out there that isn't based on either, but it's slipped my mind as of now.