• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

College Admissions Asking for Social Security Number

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Every college I have filled out the application form (I haven't actually submitted any yet) has asked me for my social security number, and my sister says that is sketchy. Is it a good idea to give colleges your social security number? I asked my dad and he just brushed it off with and idk.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
no they've done that for years. i had to do it it's not sketchy. though once your enrolled they'll give you a student number that's not your social security but in the 90s your student number was your social security number.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My understanding is that it's kind of one of those stupid things where the number wasn't supposed to used originally for anything but tax purposes, but since everyone had one, everyone consolidated on it and it suggests you're a legal citizen. I guess the question is what the benefit vs cost is of providing / not providing it and what you're willing to risk by your stance.

it's been standard practice for years, I think I had to provide it when I went to college in the 80's. (Can't remember totally at this point.)

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Nah. Employers and schools will always ask for it.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As I've been made aware, if you're applying for federal aid you need to provide it.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
As I've been made aware, if you're applying for federal aid you need to provide it.

Yes. If you do not provide it they have no way of knowing if the information you're oroviding is accurate. You could easily lie to try and get more money out of them or lie about things like criminal history or citizenship.

This is not sketchy it is the very reason SS numbers were created in the first place.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Really? My other sister said no one has asked her for it.

It's possible some schools and other places are getting more 'progressive' and have stopped asking for it, but historically it's always been the case where places have asked for it. (I recall a dentist office even asked for it when I was getting a new dentist a while back; I think I ignored that and didn't even fill it in, but, it's more a product of it just being part of their old-school routine/forms vs anything sketchy)

I think pretty much any job here -- that's a legit job at least, and not just under the table payment -- will ask for social. Background checks, etc. Well, I'm thinking more business-type / corporate type job (which includes most retail places). But a mom& pop small store? It's possible some of those don't ask for that.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Every college I have filled out the application form (I haven't actually submitted any yet) has asked me for my social security number, and my sister says that is sketchy. Is it a good idea to give colleges your social security number? I asked my dad and he just brushed it off with and idk.
I would be very hesitant to provide it.

Social security numbers were invented for the social security system, to track employee contributions to the fund during their working years, and manage disbursement of benefits once they retired. The only other legitimate uses are in other matters related to taxation and earnings: e.g. filling out your income tax return, arranging for income tax withholding when you hire on at a job, etc. No one else really needs it. Other entities use it simply as a convenience, because it is a unique identifier for the majority of folks who have one.

The only possible use a university would have is to cross-check your income tax records as part of a financial aid application. Unless financial aid impacts actual acceptance to the university, though, you should not need to provide it on the application. You probably will need to provide it if you are applying for financial aid, as someone else mentioned. I suppose, then, you could wait until you receive notification of which uni accepts you, and provide your SSN only to them, for processing the aid application. If universities do this in parallel, though (consider aid applications before notifying applicants of acceptance) you will need to provide it now.

Bottom line: rather than guess, simply call the admissions office at the unis you are applying to and ask them if you really need to provide it just to apply for admission. Explain that you are concerned about giving it out especially with the growing problem of identity theft, and want to understand better what they do with the information. This is a legitimate question/concern and I doubt you would be the first applicant raising it. See what they say, and then decide.

As for medical offices, none of them need your SSN, unless perhaps you are at a VA clinic, or using another federal benefit (Medicare/Medicaid might need it). I NEVER give my SSN to such places. Some of them try to tell me that they can't process my insurance claim without it. I tell them that none of my medical providers have ever had that trouble, but there is always a first time, so if they do have trouble, let me know right away. None has followed up with me on that.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I would be very hesitant to provide it.

Social security numbers were invented for the social security system, to track employee contributions to the fund during their working years, and manage disbursement of benefits once they retired. The only other legitimate uses are in other matters related to taxation and earnings: e.g. filling out your income tax return, arranging for income tax withholding when you hire on at a job, etc. No one else really needs it. Other entities use it simply as a convenience, because it is a unique identifier for the majority of folks who have one.

The only possible use a university would have is to cross-check your income tax records as part of a financial aid application. Unless financial aid impacts actual acceptance to the university, though, you should not need to provide it on the application. You probably will need to provide it if you are applying for financial aid, as someone else mentioned. I suppose, then, you could wait until you receive notification of which uni accepts you, and provide your SSN only to them, for processing the aid application. If universities do this in parallel, though (consider aid applications before notifying applicants of acceptance) you will need to provide it now.

Bottom line: rather than guess, simply call the admissions office at the unis you are applying to and ask them if you really need to provide it just to apply for admission. Explain that you are concerned about giving it out especially with the growing problem of identity theft, and want to understand better what they do with the information. This is a legitimate question/concern and I doubt you would be the first applicant raising it. See what they say, and then decide.

As for medical offices, none of them need your SSN, unless perhaps you are at a VA clinic, or using another federal benefit (Medicare/Medicaid might need it). I NEVER give my SSN to such places. Some of them try to tell me that they can't process my insurance claim without it. I tell them that none of my medical providers have ever had that trouble, but there is always a first time, so if they do have trouble, let me know right away. None has followed up with me on that.

Ugh I tried to leave it blank and even put na and even random numbers it it won't let me submit. I'm not applying for financial aid, but yeah calling them may be a good idea.

Ursa

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w7
It is normal that your prospective university requested it. The Privacy Act (1974) allows universities to request SSNs as your SSN is used to determine your unique legal identity.

I had to provide mine when applying, and I experienced no negative ramifications for having done so. Some universities do require this information. Some don't and they can give you an applicant number to use instead but with the catch that it may take the university longer to verify your academic records and test scores while other students fill up available spots.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm pretty sure it's part of the process

It's double-extra important for anything financial aid related, even if you're paying cash out of pocket

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ugh I tried to leave it blank and even put na and even random numbers it it won't let me submit. I'm not applying for financial aid, but yeah calling them may be a good idea.
There is another perspective on this, which is why I encourage you to call, ask, and express your concerns. If enough students do this, the university might come up with some other system of identifying students and tracking their records that doesn't require social security number. If no one complains, though, they won't even view it as a problem.