• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to get out of Human Services ?

ToniTheSlut

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm not a very educated person, and live in a remote area. I worked in trades through out growing up, and now work in what is considered a "damn good job" in human services. The only thing is, I loathe working in HS. I can't stand the egos, and the helper is the servant mentality. I was guided into this position through years of being told my one and only redeeming characteristic was my ability to work with people on a mental level. Especially those who were in need of guidance and answers.

At this point in my life, I would almost prefer a warehouse job to anything customer service related.

Any thoughts on how to transition to a different position without being demoted pay wise?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not a very educated person, and live in a remote area. I worked in trades through out growing up, and now work in what is considered a "damn good job" in human services. The only thing is, I loathe working in HS. I can't stand the egos, and the helper is the servant mentality. I was guided into this position through years of being told my one and only redeeming characteristic was my ability to work with people on a mental level. Especially those who were in need of guidance and answers.

At this point in my life, I would almost prefer a warehouse job to anything customer service related.

Any thoughts on how to transition to a different position without being demoted pay wise?

Get promoted to supervisor of the customer service department ;)

That way you only have to deal occasionally with the more difficult customers, and only have to work with a hand full of people who are your subordinates instead. Meanwhile, it'll be a way to get further up in management and the top of the company. As an entp, your skill set should be especially suited for R&D or anything to do with creativity and brainstorming and less so with people. Your tertiary Fe is what allows you to be charming and people oriented, but it drains you coz it's your tertiary - hence your need for change. Meanwhile R&D would allow you to go crazy with NeTi, which is where an entp truly shines. But even marketing and sales would be more up your alley, most likely, as it allows you to use Fe to charm people first contact-wise, be competitive and game the system with NeTi.

/crude generalisations about type, bucket of salt disclaimer, just brainstorming + my two cents, etc.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
why not do a government job like a postperson, they pay well above minimum wage i think here and it's not an expensive place actually one of the cheapest places to live so the minimum wage is 7.25/hr a postal worker makes about 25 an hour. i mean yeah you'd still have to deal with people but not on the level you do now.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Are you willing to move?

ToniTheSlut

MBTI Type
ENTP
Get promoted to supervisor of the customer service department ;)

That way you only have to deal occasionally with the more difficult customers, and only have to work with a hand full of people who are your subordinates instead. Meanwhile, it'll be a way to get further up in management and the top of the company. As an entp, your skill set should be especially suited for R&D or anything to do with creativity and brainstorming and less so with people. Your tertiary Fe is what allows you to be charming and people oriented, but it drains you coz it's your tertiary - hence your need for change. Meanwhile R&D would allow you to go crazy with NeTi, which is where an entp truly shines. But even marketing and sales would be more up your alley, most likely, as it allows you to use Fe to charm people first contact-wise, be competitive and game the system with NeTi.

/crude generalisations about type, bucket of salt disclaimer, just brainstorming + my two cents, etc.

Ah, been there done that which in my experience leads to dealing with both customer and worker complaints. Middle management is pure shit. I'm not even a little interested in promoting because of it. Even if that's a step to the top, I'm not interested in playing the politics in order to get there. I just want to be happy.

why not do a government job like a postperson, they pay well above minimum wage i think here and it's not an expensive place actually one of the cheapest places to live so the minimum wage is 7.25/hr a postal worker makes about 25 an hour. i mean yeah you'd still have to deal with people but not on the level you do now.

Not a bad idea.

Are you willing to move?

Yes, but there are many variables I need to consider in order to do so.

**Update, my boss just transitioned my position into more of a teaching and guidance one. I'm actually surprised how on cue and such perfect timing that was. Honestly, I'm a little taken back. This couldn't have happened at a better time. It's times like this, I think I'm exactly where I need to be. That can't be a coincidence...