• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How are you not like your type, in career choice and talents?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ummm... I fear that I work the type of job that one may suspect that an STP may work... I run a receive dock for a major warehouse chain :blush:

to make it worse, I actually try to get from behind the desk and do the physical work a lot of times, but it turns out that I'm kind of bad at it, which is not stereotypical... however, my failure is mostly based on the fact that I'm only 5'2"

in general though, I do plenty of things that defy stereotype, like reading fantasy novels for fun and not spending my time at bars or parties (ok, that's because I quit drinking, but still!) and I have 3 degrees in liberal arts :holy:

I probably fulfill stereotypes by being the lowest common social denominator, capable of getting along with just about anybody and everybody though... and because I chose to work a physical job despite having multiple degrees (jobs involving them are BORING) :(

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a cyber security consultant and have flourished in this career and enjoy it. There is a lot of strategy, creativity, and making things better (NT), organizing and leading getting things done (TJ) and foreseeing bad things that might happen (enneagram 6). As to how I'm not like my type, the biggest thing might be that I'm very good at getting along with and collaborating with all kinds of people. Also, I'm not as good at this online but in person tend to be very perceptive interpersonally of other people's feelings, reactions, etc. I also like sappy romantic movies and am not sure how INTJ like that is.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For an ENFJ, I am fairly analytical, critical, detached. The word, calculated, is often used to describe me. I am not afraid to ruffle feathers and call people out on their BS to get stuff done. Supposedly, I used to size people up and do things to get them to react a certain way (get under their skin). So I am a far cry from the super bubbly, highly idealistic ENFJ description. My Fe is more about "social management" than worrying about group harmony.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
I tend to get bogged down with over stimulation from my surroundings, loud noises, strong smells vivid colours, I get lost in a daze of sensory overload, finding it difficult to escape the present moment.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm an INFP who studies creative writing and sings in a band... find someone who is more stereotypical and I give you a dollar.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I am perfectly my type, my sole goal is to make people happy and have a good time. But ESFJs are better at it in that alpha quadra. They are better at stepping back. :/

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
taught supplemental help sessions for first order logic once upon a time.

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
I'm an ESTP and we're supposed to suck at school but I'm pretty brainy when I'm interested in something and can do really well if I try/care enough (although I'm not one of those naturally gifted academics). Also getting a master's in finance and I'm pretty sure numbers aren't our thing but to be fair finance can be aggressive and competitive, depending which field you're in. I'm also pretty shitty at sports but that's because I don't really have an interest in them and because I don't play well with others, but I am very energetic and very active and have really good endurance. I can also be pretty introverted but a lot of it stems from laziness to do anything - if I'm around people I will talk. I have really no social inhibitions and I don't really experience shyness.

Methylene

Now with more salt.
MBTI Type
LVEF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
INTP, maybe?
I'm not that good with maths and physics, even though I love the sense of logical completeness they give me.
I can't help but caring about others' opinion about me.

Apart from that, I'm pretty much a stereotypical Ne user. Changed a few schools in order the match the interests I was having, not being able to find a specialization field, getting extremely pissed off when somebody doesn't see other ways to solve a problem.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm terrible at administrative work and would make an atrocious secretary/receptionist. I like answering the phone, but that's about it.

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, according to the very intriguing "Portrait of an INFP" on PersonalityPage.com, I am - supposedly - totally unaware of "mundane details of life maintenance." :dry: Now, that might apply to those who have been coddled in life, or who have a significant other/family member that simply takes care of the day-to-day stuff... just doesn't apply to me personally. As much as they're drudgery, routine tasks have to get done. I have always paid bills on time, done chores around the house, and held down a variety of service-sector jobs to support myself. In this economy, I wonder how anyone of any type could be clueless about such things, as part of "growing up" is learning how to manage such aspects of life. My dad informed me, upon opening a credit card account for me at age 16, that it was my responsibility to save my receipts and make sure I could pay the bill when it came every month. Not that I was a materialistic teenager or a wild spender by any stretch of the imagination... didn't even have my driver's license at that age to go out with friends regularly and shop, etc. He just had a "tough love" parenting philosophy and wanted me to be accountable for my life. When I began drinking, he remarked that if I ever got arrested for drunk driving, he wouldn't be the one to post my bail or pay my fines/court costs. So, maybe if I had been raised in a more permissive environment, I wouldn't have become as self-sufficient. I guess most people of my type are accused of being lazy or ditzy, and this unfortunately carries over to the arena of life skills and real-world responsibilities.

Also, I'm not really the rabid perfectionist that this Personality Page website makes INFPs out to be. I like doing things "the right way" and I take pride in my work, but not neurotically so. I am not the "Type A" personality like my sister, who was the valedictorian of her class and took part in the school play every year in high school, as well as (briefly) cheerleading. Sure, I like folding laundry neatly, having neat handwriting, and keeping my surroundings tidy and semi-organized, but that's about as far as these perfectionistic traits go.

And contrary to the picture painted by this website and others, I can get very engrossed in details as an INFP. Yeah, ultimately it's about the big picture, but I don't shy away from meticulous research, either in academic pursuits or for my own personal satisfaction. I don't mind keeping accurate records, doing data entry, or maintaining databases on the job. My employer knows that he can count on me to do these things, while simultaneously commenting that I am "way out there."

I noticed on the same webpage that suggested career paths included counseling, psychology, and mediation, all of which would likely make me uncomfortable. (Admittedly, on days when I am particularly down and out, I entertain thoughts of becoming an "intuitive counselor," based on the fact that I allegedly give good tarot readings.) I personally believe psychology to be a pseudoscience and that most mental illnesses have been artificially concocted by the medical community and drug companies... Also suggested were careers as a writer or musician - both of which I do already (thought it doesn't pay the bills!) - so I guess I ...sort of ... fit the typical INFP in my career aspirations.

Carpe Vinum

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ENTJs are often perceived as the poster children for anger management issues. I'm much more stoic.

I'm not a CEO or corporate manager (another ENTJ stereotype), but I do gravitate toward leadership roles.

My profession is teaching, which is a career match for ENTJs according to some sources. However, they usually recommend teaching math or science, or becoming a principal. My background is in English and Physical Education, and I work as an athletic coach. I have the qualifications to do administrative work and may pursue it at some point in the future, but for right now I'm happy teaching and prefer leading in other ways.

I have strong Se, so my hobbies are xSTP-ish: snowboarding, running, riding motorcycles, etc. Anything that gets me active and outdoors. I also love mechanics and weightlifting.

Last edited:

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
I'm supposed to analyze people, not computers (ICT manager). But at least computers do what I tell them to.

Asame

MBTI Type
INFP
suggested career paths - mediation

L3FOkCh.gif

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
5 Ways to annoy an INTJ annoys ME too

Interrupt Them-
I am usually on a specific train of thought and if it's interrupted I'll likely forget it.

Surprise Them-
I hate it when people arrive unannounced or are too spontaneous. It annoys the heck out of me, and I need them to let me know ahead of time so I can prep. Barging in on me when I'm in the middle of something is also a peeve. I'm in my mode, bugger off

Engage in Smalltalk-
Dear God, no one cares.

Emotionally Manipulate Them-
Well, who doesn't?

Interfere with Their Alone Time-
I'm in my zone, leave me to my deep thoughts and ponderings. Likely to decipher the meaning of the universe, and why it is 42.

5 Ways To Annoy An INTJ - Psychology Junkie

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
I'll tell you when I find one I stay with for more than a year, so I guess so far I don't break stereotype. But I don't really care. There's so much to see...
planetes12feecarmichaelwinsatsmoking_thumb.jpg

Asame

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm really good at science. :D

I can see INFPs enjoying science, but mainly through the big picture aspect of science; I don't see INFPs being meticulous when handling science // data. I mean Te (Extraverted thinking) is our inferior function so data probably not our strong point.

[MENTION=30445]thepink-cloakedninja[/MENTION] What is a sciencey INFP like? :rly???:

Littleclaypot

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm an extremely introverted INFJ and I'm a teacher. It's rough sometimes because I'm around rooms full of people all day long, and when I get home I'm just so emotionally drained.. yet I do feel like it's the best possible choice I could have made in terms of career. It's extremely fulfilling in so many ways. Understand that people are complex and more than just a personality "type."