User Tag List

First 4567 Last

Senior Member SurrealisticSlumbers's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Well, according to the very intriguing "Portrait of an INFP" on PersonalityPage.com, I am - supposedly - totally unaware of "mundane details of life maintenance." Now, that might apply to those who have been coddled in life, or who have a significant other/family member that simply takes care of the day-to-day stuff... just doesn't apply to me personally. As much as they're drudgery, routine tasks have to get done. I have always paid bills on time, done chores around the house, and held down a variety of service-sector jobs to support myself. In this economy, I wonder how anyone of any type could be clueless about such things, as part of "growing up" is learning how to manage such aspects of life. My dad informed me, upon opening a credit card account for me at age 16, that it was my responsibility to save my receipts and make sure I could pay the bill when it came every month. Not that I was a materialistic teenager or a wild spender by any stretch of the imagination... didn't even have my driver's license at that age to go out with friends regularly and shop, etc. He just had a "tough love" parenting philosophy and wanted me to be accountable for my life. When I began drinking, he remarked that if I ever got arrested for drunk driving, he wouldn't be the one to post my bail or pay my fines/court costs. So, maybe if I had been raised in a more permissive environment, I wouldn't have become as self-sufficient. I guess most people of my type are accused of being lazy or ditzy, and this unfortunately carries over to the arena of life skills and real-world responsibilities.

Also, I'm not really the rabid perfectionist that this Personality Page website makes INFPs out to be. I like doing things "the right way" and I take pride in my work, but not neurotically so. I am not the "Type A" personality like my sister, who was the valedictorian of her class and took part in the school play every year in high school, as well as (briefly) cheerleading. Sure, I like folding laundry neatly, having neat handwriting, and keeping my surroundings tidy and semi-organized, but that's about as far as these perfectionistic traits go.

And contrary to the picture painted by this website and others, I can get very engrossed in details as an INFP. Yeah, ultimately it's about the big picture, but I don't shy away from meticulous research, either in academic pursuits or for my own personal satisfaction. I don't mind keeping accurate records, doing data entry, or maintaining databases on the job. My employer knows that he can count on me to do these things, while simultaneously commenting that I am "way out there."

I noticed on the same webpage that suggested career paths included counseling, psychology, and mediation, all of which would likely make me uncomfortable. (Admittedly, on days when I am particularly down and out, I entertain thoughts of becoming an "intuitive counselor," based on the fact that I allegedly give good tarot readings.) I personally believe psychology to be a pseudoscience and that most mental illnesses have been artificially concocted by the medical community and drug companies... Also suggested were careers as a writer or musician - both of which I do already (thought it doesn't pay the bills!) - so I guess I ...sort of ... fit the typical INFP in my career aspirations.
    Likes Flâneuse liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    826 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LIE Te

ENTJs are often perceived as the poster children for anger management issues. I'm much more stoic.

I'm not a CEO or corporate manager (another ENTJ stereotype), but I do gravitate toward leadership roles.

My profession is teaching, which is a career match for ENTJs according to some sources. However, they usually recommend teaching math or science, or becoming a principal. My background is in English and Physical Education, and I work as an athletic coach. I have the qualifications to do administrative work and may pursue it at some point in the future, but for right now I'm happy teaching and prefer leading in other ways.

I have strong Se, so my hobbies are xSTP-ish: snowboarding, running, riding motorcycles, etc. Anything that gets me active and outdoors. I also love mechanics and weightlifting.
    Last edited by Carpe Vinum; 02-17-2017 at 11:09 PM.

Boaty McBoatface agentwashington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    LII Ti

ISTJ underachiever is go
    To write often means remembering what never existed - Clarice Lispector

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I'm supposed to analyze people, not computers (ICT manager). But at least computers do what I tell them to.
    "I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the fuck is this garbage?’ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers" ~ Nick Cave

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealisticSlumbers View Post
    suggested career paths - mediation

MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx

5 Ways to annoy an INTJ annoys ME too

Interrupt Them-
    I am usually on a specific train of thought and if it's interrupted I'll likely forget it.

Surprise Them-
    I hate it when people arrive unannounced or are too spontaneous. It annoys the heck out of me, and I need them to let me know ahead of time so I can prep. Barging in on me when I'm in the middle of something is also a peeve. I'm in my mode, bugger off

Engage in Smalltalk-
    Dear God, no one cares.

Emotionally Manipulate Them-
    Well, who doesn't?

Interfere with Their Alone Time-
    I'm in my zone, leave me to my deep thoughts and ponderings. Likely to decipher the meaning of the universe, and why it is 42.

5 Ways To Annoy An INTJ - Psychology Junkie
    "A life that lives without doing anything is the same as a slow death." - Lelouch Vi Britannia

Alignment: True Neutral/Chaotic Neutral (Rational Neutral - Rebel Neutral)

Eclectic Oddball, that I am

The Marquis De Carabas... Gentleman Jack's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    478 sx/sp

I'll tell you when I find one I stay with for more than a year, so I guess so far I don't break stereotype. But I don't really care. There's so much to see...
    With all Due Respect,
    -Jack

You can't open the book of my life and jump in the middle. Like woman, I am a mystery...

We're still flying. It's enough.
    Likes thepink-cloakedninja liked this post

Marshmallow Heart thepink-cloakedninja's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    269 sp/sx

I'm really good at science.
    Skinny people are easier to kidnap
    Stay safe
    Eat cheesecake

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by thepink-cloakedninja View Post
    I'm really good at science.
    I can see INFPs enjoying science, but mainly through the big picture aspect of science; I don't see INFPs being meticulous when handling science // data. I mean Te (Extraverted thinking) is our inferior function so data probably not our strong point.

@thepink-cloakedninja What is a sciencey INFP like?

como ningúna otra. Littleclaypot's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    947 sx/so

I'm an extremely introverted INFJ and I'm a teacher. It's rough sometimes because I'm around rooms full of people all day long, and when I get home I'm just so emotionally drained.. yet I do feel like it's the best possible choice I could have made in terms of career. It's extremely fulfilling in so many ways. Understand that people are complex and more than just a personality "type."
    Likes meowington, SurrealisticSlumbers liked this post

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• :hi:
  • :bye:
  • :)
  • :smile:
  • :wubbie:
  • :D
  • :hug:
  • :happy2:
  • :newwink:
  • :wink: