• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Career/major choice and type

Tina&Jane

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I work in a school and do mostly psychological testing (psychoeducational evaluations), but I also counsel students, deal with crisis situations, and consult with parents and teachers. I've struggled a lot in the past with whether the job is the "right" fit for me, but was lucky enough to find a position that focused more on what I like about the job (testing) versus the other parts I don't like as much (counseling and dealing with teachers and parents). The evaluations can be difficult at times because you're often trying reconcile several different sources of information in order to create an holistic picture of the student, but some cases can be more clear cut than others. It's a pretty analytical process and I like the problem-solving part of it--it's pretty scientific in a way because I'll often start out with a hypothesis of what's going on with a student and then either support or refute it with the data I collect.

In terms of type, I've tested anywhere from ISTP to INFP and have never really been able to pinpoint one. I know I'm definitely introverted and maybe lean more T than F. I've always struggled with the N/S and P/J divide.

Magnus

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
My job:

* Is in maritime
* Allows me to work unsupervised (a core element of the job description, actually)
* Allows me to just do whatever needs to be done. If I have to justify my actions later on... well, things work better when we do them my way.
* Allows me to work mostly unbothered by dimwitted co-workers
* Has a boss I respect for once. This has not always been the case.
* Offers room for advancement

The "chess-like maneuvering" meme about INTJ's has some basis in fact. At least for me and at least at this job.

I think my job pretty well fits my type.

Magnus

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
As an addendum to my last post, I should say that I've never really been sure of "what I want to do". I've always operated under the assumption that when the right thing comes around, I'll know it when I see it. I guess that's what happened here.

The industry I'm in now is small enough to for anybody to stand out as long as they're not flagrantly stupid. But it's big enough to offer a ladder for growth for the truly talented.

My work style is results-oriented. Judge me by how well I did what needed to be done rather than how well I abided by some retarded set of rules that probably don't work anyway. The management of this company has a set of guidelines for directing n00bs who are just starting out but if you have better ideas, use them... and be prepared to take responsibility if your way blows up in your face. You might get fired but you might also get a huge bonus. Not much in between.

I don't mind playing for those stakes because my instincts always lead me in the right direction. But some people with no vision and no ideas will chicken out. I don't respect them.

My specific job is very friendly toward my type but this whole industry offers a lot of potential.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
It helps some, sure, but you shouldn't let that rule your decision as something as critically important as choosing the career that makes you the happiest.

I know that high schools and universities have pushed the MBTI-career correlation thing a little too hard back then, and so yes, I agree it's given too much weight for this subject.

When I was typed as an INFP at age 18 during high school, the career choices left a lot to desire. It just seemed to list careers that wanted me to live like a starving artist and it left a bad taste in my mouth. In general, NF careers seem to put us under the stereotype that we just cannot survive in a majority SJ world. I've even looked at other career lists for the other MBTI type and felt envy that they were given more stability. So no, it didn't really helped me, but left me more confused than I was started.

I basically decided to just work as a secretary and while it's stable work, it doesn't celebrate my inner desires of truly helping others in ways that are creative.

I think I had the same issue with MBTi. I was always uncertain about what i really should be doing, but after looking at MBTi was the first time I had actually been confused about what I wanted to do.

By the end of school I knew I would study something maths or science related. I'd probably known that since I was young. I studied Electrical and Computer Systems Engineering first, finished that, then studied Physics because Engineering didn't go deeply enough into the fundamentals and why's. Next I studied postgrad Physics for a few years then did some research, but decided I didn't really want to be an academic long term, so looked at private companies. I quite like writing, so I also looked at studying journalism and a few other things. In the end I joined a patent firm, studied some postgrad law on the job and now work as a patent attorney.

It's actually a decent fit for an ENFP with my interests because I get to understand new things in engineering and science all the time and I get to write a lot and think up creative solutions to legal problems. It's also varied enough and generalist enough to not drive me nuts.

Altair

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well being that I am an INFJ I tend to favor Psychology. And religion is rather fascinating to be honest.

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm hoping to work in the biomedical science field someday. Currently doing a course in advanced level life sciences. Last time I took the MBTI test I scored as an ISFJ (and ISTJ in a another one)