• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Job Search Thread

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
This thread is for everyone who is searching for a job to post about their failures and successes (but probably more about failures).

Okay. I'll get things started:

Resume: Master's degree in public policy, interested in criminal justice, knowledge of statistical software (80% true), lack of work experience, one internship, willing to work for shitty pay

Successes: One interview. Wasn't really excited about the job in the first place. . . was told that I am overqualified.

Failures: Can't seem to find any jobs that I would love to have

Current Status: Have 5 resumes floating out there.

Strategy: Apply for jobs that only require a Bachelor's degree, so I seem more desirable. No word if strategy is working.

Next steps: I'm thinking of spamming organizations and sending my resume everywhere even if there are no openings. I don't really want to do this.

Hopefully there are other people out there in a similar situation.

SillyGoose

MBTI Type
EXXP
I've just started searching for a job in the midwest where I'd like to move to by December this past week.

I have the same basic resume, but tweak it for each position I am applying to. I'm fairly certain I could get an admin assistant job pretty easily, but I really don't want to go that route while looking for a better suited job for me.

We'll see, I guess. I plan on flying out there in a month or so to go on interviews since I'm a tad concerned that my application won't be taken seriously since I'm not actually living there.

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
Oh sweet. I was beginning to think that I was the only one.

You mentioned an admin assistant job, but what sort of job would you actually like to have?

I get a little worried because I know I could get the same type of administrative job, but this is the beginning of my career, and the first job sort of sets the direction that I will likely head for the rest of my career. And I certainly don't want to do office work forever.

*sigh* But I need money.

It must be tough searching from a distance though.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Strategy: Apply for jobs that only require a Bachelor's degree, so I seem more desirable. No word if strategy is working.
This strategy is not 100% efficient. Some employers prefer not to hire the over-qualified because they estimate said people will leave the job if a more appropriate position becomes available--thus wasting the employer's resources in acclimating the hiree.

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
This strategy is not 100% efficient. Some employers prefer not to hire the over-qualified because they estimate said people will leave the job if a more appropriate position becomes available--thus wasting the employer's resources in acclimating the hiree.

Good point. Actually, the place I interviewed for seemed to have the exact same worry. She said that she thought I would get bored, see other jobs pop up, and want to apply for them. Even though I tried to reassure her that this wasn't the case and that I would commit for two years, ultimately, I think my overqualification was a bad thing.

I feel screwed either way. I don't have the experience for the master's degree jobs. Maybe applying for Bachelor's degree jobs that require experience is more effective.

Although after sending out five resumes and not hearing anything, the strategy may change to applying for any job that seems somewhat relevant. :sad:

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
What about temp work to get some experience? And presumably they won't care too much if you're overqualified, because it's not a long-term job thing?

I started out on a 2 month contract where I currently work. Not sure if this is how things work in the US, but my temp contract got extended for a year (with a promotion), followed by getting a permanent position in the organisation. 4 years later and a couple of internal moves later, I'm still there and in a job that matches me pretty well. I had no full-time work experience before this - just a lot of temp jobs/summer jobs.

Edit: er, this was for people currently looking for work. But I was in your position 4 years ago and thought I'd share.

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
What about temp work to get some experience? And presumably they won't care too much if you're overqualified, because it's not a long-term job thing?

I like the idea of temp-to-perm work because I know that once I am given a chance, I will prove myself to an employer. However, I can't seem to find any temp work that isn't purely administrative. It would be awesome to find research temp work, but I haven't seen any. I will look into this further though.

Do you mind sharing what line of work you starting temping in and what type of job you have now?

I plan to temp if I do not get a job by the end of the year.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Good point. Actually, the place I interviewed for seemed to have the exact same worry. She said that she thought I would get bored, see other jobs pop up, and want to apply for them. Even though I tried to reassure her that this wasn't the case and that I would commit for two years, ultimately, I think my overqualification was a bad thing.

I feel screwed either way. I don't have the experience for the master's degree jobs. Maybe applying for Bachelor's degree jobs that require experience is more effective.

Although after sending out five resumes and not hearing anything, the strategy may change to applying for any job that seems somewhat relevant. :sad:

As someone involved in recruitment, there are two approaches to getting someone into a "decent" job. The first is graduate entry, which is a lottery.. the best way to do this is the online applications, where most big professional firms (accountants, lawyers etc etc) will take applications and then select.. it's all a bit random, but it's easy to get on the list. The in take may only be once a year.

The second, is qualified by experience. You don't have this - but it is a route. Here's the risk.. you really will work for shitty pay and you may struggle to get into the level you want to, because you've been in the wrong place. It worked ok for me, but I spent a number of years on seriously poor pay before it paid off.

If I were you, I'd blanket bomb all the graduate entry schemes at major companies of all sorts.. management, banking, finance, accountancy, law etc etc. That gets you in with graduate entry pay and a resume start.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
8+ years in the same job... very little money or respect to show for it... you bet your ass I'm looking for a job.

Successes,
Kick ass "CV" (I've been told that Curriculum Vitae/ CV is so passe now... apparently)
Good experience
God like NT approach to problems ( :whistling: )

Failures,
Get job interview
Find employer I like the look of
Getting over seeing jobs requiring like 3 degrees for a fiver an hour

Plan,
Sulk.

Status,
Thinking about sulking.

It's kind of odd really. I get people asking me to fix their PCs or questions about technology and such but any employer won't even consider people who haven't gone in for an MCSE or some such (and they are REALLY boring courses) and yet my IT Pro mate reckons that the IT guys themselves don't pay any attention to MCSE qualifications. Kinda makes me wonder when they'll stop asking admin or middle management people do the recruiting for IT jobs...

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Hopefully there are other people out there in a similar situation.

:hi:

Resume: Master's degree in economics (well, in less than two months). Experience from student analyst positions in market research, both on the consultant side (both qualitative and quantitative research) and the client side (FMCG).

Successes: I have an idea that I plan to pitch to a local wealthy philanthropist. I have made initial contact with said individual, and he was receptive.

Failures:
Can't seem to find any jobs that I would love to have.

*2. I'm not Extroverted enough to (enjoy) be(ing) a consultant, and corporate life both bored and scared the life out of me. I'd totally do a Ph.D. but 1) I really don't want to teach (which is a requirement for internally financed positions at my university) and 2) offhand I can't think of any research I could do that someone in the real world would pay me to do. I do know I'm looking for a way to make a living that involves lots of writing.

Another failure: I have had the aforementioned idea for 15 months now. :doh: I have twice attempted to write the pitch, but I was only too happy to let my master's thesis take priority both times. I rather think I must be psychologically blocked. Stay tuned come November when I will give it my next shot!

Current Status: Thesis-writing.

Strategy and next steps: I will attend a networking event in October for would-be Ph.D. students and companies and organizations interested in financing them. Also, see Failures. Failing both ph.d. and pitch, I'll probably try corporate life again (if I can resist the shameful temptation to just collect unemployment benefits (which are generous in my country)). Even if my last job kind of sucked, at least I experienced firsthand that there's nothing like job dissatisfaction for generating new ideas! :yes:

---

Yes, all you experienced folks get to roll your eyes at my ambition to actually enjoy working (even in my first job(s)). I get to be naively hopeful for a little while longer. :headphne:

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I like the idea of temp-to-perm work because I know that once I am given a chance, I will prove myself to an employer. However, I can't seem to find any temp work that isn't purely administrative. It would be awesome to find research temp work, but I haven't seen any. I will look into this further though.

Do you mind sharing what line of work you starting temping in and what type of job you have now?

I plan to temp if I do not get a job by the end of the year.

I prefer not to say exactly what my line of work is, but it's an office job which involves a bit of engineering nous.

I got my first temp job by word of mouth. A friend knew I was looking for work and sent me a job ad from where she was working. I got the 2 month contract mostly because I knew how to use Excel, and I also had some specific technical knowledge that was relevant to that team.

A few months before that, I did a week of unpaid experience at a small company which is how I solved the problem of not having any referees. (I helped sort out something urgent for the company in that week, so I managed to leave a good impression).

Lexlike

MBTI Type
InTP
Enneagram
4w5
Meaning, ESxJs are on top? Or because the traits that ESxJs are the most needed?

I think the best formulation is the type which is best adapted to the requirements of the real world... (that does not mean exactly that they are on top of society)

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I think the best formulation is the type which is best adapted to the requirements of the real world... (that does not mean exactly that they are on top of society)

So, that'd be the personality that would largest exceed their population distribution, by virtue of having the traits that are best adapted to our environment.

It's an NTJ world, then. An INTJ world.

Lexlike

MBTI Type
InTP
Enneagram
4w5
So, that'd be the personality that would largest exceed their population distribution, by virtue of having the traits that are best adapted to our environment.

It's an NTJ world, then. An INTJ world.

how do you come to this conclusion???