User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTj

Exclamation The Job Search Thread

This thread is for everyone who is searching for a job to post about their failures and successes (but probably more about failures).

Okay. I'll get things started:

Resume: Master's degree in public policy, interested in criminal justice, knowledge of statistical software (80% true), lack of work experience, one internship, willing to work for shitty pay

Successes: One interview. Wasn't really excited about the job in the first place. . . was told that I am overqualified.

Failures: Can't seem to find any jobs that I would love to have

Current Status: Have 5 resumes floating out there.

Strategy: Apply for jobs that only require a Bachelor's degree, so I seem more desirable. No word if strategy is working.

Next steps: I'm thinking of spamming organizations and sending my resume everywhere even if there are no openings. I don't really want to do this.

Hopefully there are other people out there in a similar situation.

MBTI
    EXXP

I've just started searching for a job in the midwest where I'd like to move to by December this past week.

I have the same basic resume, but tweak it for each position I am applying to. I'm fairly certain I could get an admin assistant job pretty easily, but I really don't want to go that route while looking for a better suited job for me.

We'll see, I guess. I plan on flying out there in a month or so to go on interviews since I'm a tad concerned that my application won't be taken seriously since I'm not actually living there.
    "My mom told me there was a weirdo on every bus, but I never could find him." Emo Phillips

MBTI
    INTj

Oh sweet. I was beginning to think that I was the only one.

You mentioned an admin assistant job, but what sort of job would you actually like to have?

I get a little worried because I know I could get the same type of administrative job, but this is the beginning of my career, and the first job sort of sets the direction that I will likely head for the rest of my career. And I certainly don't want to do office work forever.

*sigh* But I need money.

It must be tough searching from a distance though.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    Strategy: Apply for jobs that only require a Bachelor's degree, so I seem more desirable. No word if strategy is working.
    This strategy is not 100% efficient. Some employers prefer not to hire the over-qualified because they estimate said people will leave the job if a more appropriate position becomes available--thus wasting the employer's resources in acclimating the hiree.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    This strategy is not 100% efficient. Some employers prefer not to hire the over-qualified because they estimate said people will leave the job if a more appropriate position becomes available--thus wasting the employer's resources in acclimating the hiree.
    Good point. Actually, the place I interviewed for seemed to have the exact same worry. She said that she thought I would get bored, see other jobs pop up, and want to apply for them. Even though I tried to reassure her that this wasn't the case and that I would commit for two years, ultimately, I think my overqualification was a bad thing.

I feel screwed either way. I don't have the experience for the master's degree jobs. Maybe applying for Bachelor's degree jobs that require experience is more effective.

Although after sending out five resumes and not hearing anything, the strategy may change to applying for any job that seems somewhat relevant. :sad:

MBTI
    INTP

What about temp work to get some experience? And presumably they won't care too much if you're overqualified, because it's not a long-term job thing?

I started out on a 2 month contract where I currently work. Not sure if this is how things work in the US, but my temp contract got extended for a year (with a promotion), followed by getting a permanent position in the organisation. 4 years later and a couple of internal moves later, I'm still there and in a job that matches me pretty well. I had no full-time work experience before this - just a lot of temp jobs/summer jobs.

Edit: er, this was for people currently looking for work. But I was in your position 4 years ago and thought I'd share.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
    What about temp work to get some experience? And presumably they won't care too much if you're overqualified, because it's not a long-term job thing?
    I like the idea of temp-to-perm work because I know that once I am given a chance, I will prove myself to an employer. However, I can't seem to find any temp work that isn't purely administrative. It would be awesome to find research temp work, but I haven't seen any. I will look into this further though.

Do you mind sharing what line of work you starting temping in and what type of job you have now?

I plan to temp if I do not get a job by the end of the year.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    Good point. Actually, the place I interviewed for seemed to have the exact same worry. She said that she thought I would get bored, see other jobs pop up, and want to apply for them. Even though I tried to reassure her that this wasn't the case and that I would commit for two years, ultimately, I think my overqualification was a bad thing.

I feel screwed either way. I don't have the experience for the master's degree jobs. Maybe applying for Bachelor's degree jobs that require experience is more effective.

Although after sending out five resumes and not hearing anything, the strategy may change to applying for any job that seems somewhat relevant. :sad:
    As someone involved in recruitment, there are two approaches to getting someone into a "decent" job. The first is graduate entry, which is a lottery.. the best way to do this is the online applications, where most big professional firms (accountants, lawyers etc etc) will take applications and then select.. it's all a bit random, but it's easy to get on the list. The in take may only be once a year.

The second, is qualified by experience. You don't have this - but it is a route. Here's the risk.. you really will work for shitty pay and you may struggle to get into the level you want to, because you've been in the wrong place. It worked ok for me, but I spent a number of years on seriously poor pay before it paid off.

If I were you, I'd blanket bomb all the graduate entry schemes at major companies of all sorts.. management, banking, finance, accountancy, law etc etc. That gets you in with graduate entry pay and a resume start.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

8+ years in the same job... very little money or respect to show for it... you bet your ass I'm looking for a job.

Successes,
    Kick ass "CV" (I've been told that Curriculum Vitae/ CV is so passe now... apparently)
    Good experience
    God like NT approach to problems ( )

Failures,
    Get job interview
    Find employer I like the look of
    Getting over seeing jobs requiring like 3 degrees for a fiver an hour

Plan,
    Sulk.

Status,
    Thinking about sulking.

It's kind of odd really. I get people asking me to fix their PCs or questions about technology and such but any employer won't even consider people who haven't gone in for an MCSE or some such (and they are REALLY boring courses) and yet my IT Pro mate reckons that the IT guys themselves don't pay any attention to MCSE qualifications. Kinda makes me wonder when they'll stop asking admin or middle management people do the recruiting for IT jobs...
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

It's an SJ world.