User Tag List

First 4567 Last

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    So, how do you propose to make it worth my while?
    Hey now! *taps foot*

Good luck with the Phd. At one point, Haight was telling me that I should go that route, but my statistics are similar to yours (average grades, not a lot of experience, etc.). However, if you get accepted, maybe I will reconsider that in the future (ya know, once I have some money).

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    For crying out loud, send it to people on here to review, woman!

FWIW, I imagine you interview very well and will get the job.
    Well, you're WRONG! And I'm still pretty embarrassed about the spelling error. I wonder if that cost me any interviews, especially after I talked up my great writing skills.
    ----------

I still have not heard back about the position that I interviewed for last Wednesday. I was told that the decision would be made by last Friday. However, when I called HR she mentioned something about a death in the VPs family. I'm hoping that isn't code for "You didn't get the job, so stop contacting us."

Regardless, I'm starting to lose hope with that job. I will contact them again on Friday to see what's up. I wish they would just reject me so I can move on.

I'm continuing to apply for jobs that I'm not exactly interested in obtaining. However, I have decided to start temping, so hopefully I can meet with some employment agencies next week and get started. Money is pretty tight, so I need to do something now without settling for a long-term job that I don't like.

*sigh* Have I mentioned how much this blows?

MBTI
    ENTP

I once wanted a job so much that I would go sit in the reception area at lunch time. Everytime the person I interviewed with would walk out to go to lunch and back in, I would be sitting there. When he asked me why I was sitting there, I told him I wanted him to know how interested I was in that particular opportunity. After a few days of that he offered me the job.

MBTI
    ENTP

Interviews are like first dates. Be interested. Be on time. Look good. Stay loose. Flirt. If you have made it to the interview, you're qualified. Now charm their fucking pants off.

Every time: the less I care, the better I do. Every time I go into an interview really not giving a shit, they want to hire me. Try it.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    Good luck with the Phd. At one point, Haight was telling me that I should go that route, but my statistics are similar to yours (average grades, not a lot of experience, etc.). However, if you get accepted, maybe I will reconsider that in the future (ya know, once I have some money).
    Thanks!

However, my motivation for writing a killer application just got shot!

I just got back from a meeting with my professor and designated supervisor who told me that if I don't get the internal department grant, he's going to hire me with the external funds that he is currently seeking and very likely will get. Such a position would entail working full time on his research (there's a lot of practical work involved, so it wouldn't be all research, but about half research and half practical work), which means I wouldn't have to teach! This would be perfect for me!

... Of course, the prospect is uncertain; he could fail to get funds, or he could change his mind about using them to hire me. And even if he does get funded and does want to hire me, it probably wouldn't be until the late spring or summer of 2009 that I could start. In the meantime he said he would hire me part-time to work on stuff though, so I could wait and see and earn money part-time elsewhere.

So, I still have to apply for the internal grant and do my best (both because of the uncertainty of the other prospect and as a demonstration of competence) - but now I find myself hoping I don't get it.

And I'm still pretty embarrassed about the spelling error. I wonder if that cost me any interviews, especially after I talked up my great writing skills.
    Personally I don't think the spelling error was that bad since it wasn't of the "I didn't bother to proofread" variety. We all have our blind spots with respect to grammar and spelling and an employer would have to be pretty anal, IMO, to hold that one against you. That said, I truly empathize with your distress over it.

I still have not heard back about the position that I interviewed for last Wednesday. I was told that the decision would be made by last Friday. However, when I called HR she mentioned something about a death in the VPs family. I'm hoping that isn't code for "You didn't get the job, so stop contacting us."
    I also truly empathize with your paranoia here but an employer would have to be pretty unprofessional, IMO, to make up an excuse like that to keep from having to reject an applicant. Based on what you've written about the interviews I'd say you still have a good shot at being hired. I know it sucks not have to closure, but try to focus on the positive feedback you got and to keep your spirits up! (I'm telling myself the same things these days...)

MBTI
    INTj

Thumbs up

Alright. . . haven't updated this thing in awhile.

I didn't get the job that I wanted. I was totally let down and devestated for several days.

Knowing that I needed a job immediately, I contacted a few interesting temp agencies, and none of them got back to me. However, my dad works for a major corporation and he emailed one of the temp agencies that they use asking if they could help me out.

A couple days later, I had a job. I find it rather amusing. I can't get these temp agencies to even contact me, and because of one connection, an agency had me in Thursday morning and had a job for me Thursday afternoon. This was before I had taken any skills tests. I mean, I guess I knew it was a sure thing when the first question the interviewer asked after glancing at my resume for the first time was, "If <insert Alma Mater #1> and <insert Alma Mater #2> met in a football game, who would you root for?" Yay for networking!

Anyway, the position is as a degree auditor for a university, and I start on Monday. Certainly, it's not my dream job, but the salary is better than what I expected, so it will do for now. The key is that I need to keep applying for other jobs and not become complacent in this one.

But for now (you know, before I even start), I'm happy.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Anyone searching for jobs currently or recently? Is it getting difficult to find a job? We know what the news says, but what about your experiences? I'm going to graduate (probably) from college in the spring, so I'm just wondering how things look...
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

*raises hand*

I have the same problem: I'm overqualified for most of the jobs I wanna do, and lack the experience for the rest of 'em. That and I like variety, so my CV has an interesting amount of different things on then, leaving most interviewers very puzzled.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INXP

I'm interviewing tomorrow. After losing my job after 12 years in work. The market looks tight (I'm in a financial sector, after all, and the world isnt likely to want more than it has ) but fortunately my particular skills are in short supply. I'll know more once I get in front of people...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

I have an interview tomorrow too . It's just for a part-time job though. But I really hope I get it - flexible hours doing paper work in a law firm. It's supposed to be fairly casual (I heard about this opportunity through a friend), so I'm hoping it won't be the nerve-wracking affair that my first job interview was (in a restaurant).
    ALL AROUND THE WORLD PEOPLE EATIN' GUMBO

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Fiver View Post
    I once wanted a job so much that I would go sit in the reception area at lunch time.

Wow. What was the job?