User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INTj

Well. . . I just got back from the final interview. I met with two separate groups of three people that are members of the same project staff. I don't think it went well at all. I didn't say anything wrong, but I was completely nervous. When I get nervous I have a problem answering questions clearly and concisely without stumbling all over my words. I did so much research and so much preparation, and I really wanted to impress everyone, but I know that I didn't.

The good news is that I have a 33.3333333333% chance to get the position because only 3 people were given a final interview. The other good news is that I was given a final interview before she had even met the other candidates.

Regardless, I feel like I have to come up with strategies to deal with the disappointment of not getting a position, or I am going to start getting depressed.

This also leaves me with the question: How the hell do people actually get jobs? I asked Haight how all of those donkeys on INTPc can actually be employed and get through job interviews when their social skills are terrible. His only answer was, "computers."

I think I chose the wrong line of work. *sigh*

Enneagram
    1w2

Computers is about right. Everyone in my IT department smells funny and looks at you too long.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    ISTJ

One of the things I recommend to my students is to understand that the intreview is a two-way street. I make sure they know they are there to find out if the company and its personnel are good enough for them. We had a class where I sent the to research the companies they wished to work for. So when the inevitible "Do you have any questions for us?" comes up, you can ask about what they've been doing (e.g., "I noticed in December of last year you implemented the XYZ middle management policy. Can you give me your impressions of how it has been working?"). It may or may not directly relate to the position you're applying for, but it shows them you are informed about them, and consider yourself an equal to them as well.

It is literally ridiculous the amount of information about companies is available in the public domain. Emerging companies/technologies may be more difficult to find out, there may stil be something out there.

Whether or not what I can offer helps, best of luck with the job search!
    ...doesn't work or play well with others...

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Condor View Post
    It is literally ridiculous the amount of information about companies is available in the public domain. Emerging companies/technologies may be more difficult to find out, there may stil be something out there.

Whether or not what I can offer helps, best of luck with the job search!
    I did research the company thoroughly and tried my best to relate their needs to my skills. I also formulated some thoughtful questions ahead of time. I almost think that I over-prepared and perhaps sounded a little too rehearsed. Currently, I am a little disappointed in myself, but I'm also still hopeful that I will get the position.

Do you do a lot of job interview coaching with your students? I'm always interested in suggestions from people who have a lot of experience with interviewing. . . especially if that person is an introvert.

Ugh. On a side note, I realized a terrible spelling error that I had on my resume today. Capitol Hill. . . not Capital Hill. ARGH!!! How many interviews has this cost me!?!

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    I did research the company thoroughly and tried my best to relate their needs to my skills. I also formulated some thoughtful questions ahead of time. I almost think that I over-prepared and perhaps sounded a little too rehearsed. Currently, I am a little disappointed in myself, but I'm also still hopeful that I will get the position.

Do you do a lot of job interview coaching with your students? I'm always interested in suggestions from people who have a lot of experience with interviewing. . . especially if that person is an introvert.

Ugh. On a side note, I realized a terrible spelling error that I had on my resume today. Capitol Hill. . . not Capital Hill. ARGH!!! How many interviews has this cost me!?!
    I work with about 50 students a year, give or take a few that my grey hair helps me forget ...

I've had some of them also tell me they felt over-prepared, or had a crisis when the interview never got around to what they prepared for. Almost everyone interviews with the hope they'll "be approved" - for either the job itself or the next interview, or whatever.

Each person will do what is comfortable for them when they interview, but (as I mentioned earlier) what I advocate is that my students approach the interview from a point of view that they are interviewing the company to see if the company meets their needs. I don't want them to worry about whether they have the "right answers" for the questions. I want them to have "their" answers. When people speak from inside themselves they don't sound rehersed. They sound relaxed. Most of the nervousness can be caused from trying to find the "right answer" to a question.

You know that "Where do you see yourself in five years" question? I want my students to tell me where does the company see itself in five years. Will they even still be in business? I want the students to be solid in their belief in themselves. I don't want them going to an interview seeking "approval."

One of the things I have them do to help build their confidence is to decline the first offer of an interview. If they are asked to meet the interviewer(s) at 3pm, I want them to say that they can't make it at 3pm, but they could do the interview at 2pm - even if there was no reason to reschedule to 2pm in the first place.

The point I keep driving home to them is they had better see themselves as a valuable commodity that companies will want. They need to project that image. And they project that image because it's true.

I know for a fact that my beliefs about interviewing are because of my introverted nature. But that nature doesn't prevent me from being successful in dealing with interviews. Far from it - it actually strengthens my chance at success. Rather than seeking approval from the company, I consider the interview a chance for the company to seek my approval ("I have a few questions I would to ask before I consider any offer you may decide to make").

I know it sounds "rah rah", but confidence and professionalism carries a great deal of weight from employers I speak with.
    ...doesn't work or play well with others...

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    I'd totally do a Ph.D. but 1) I really don't want to teach (which is a requirement for internally financed positions at my university)
    ... There's nothing like desperation for relaxing one's requirements, is there?

I am now applying for a PhD. The competition is fierce, and there are many reasons why I should not be given the grant:

• My grades are subpar (just barely above the minimum requirement for PhD consideration at my university, meaning lower than the grades of most (successful) PhD candidates)
    • I haven't taken two out of three of the advanced courses they strongly prefer for you to have taken
    • I have no teaching experience and I'd really rather not acquire any, but let's not write that in the application
    • My master's thesis was jointly written with another student (so an outsider cannot be sure of my contribution)
    • It has taken me almost 8 years in total to complete my bachelor's and master's degrees (not exactly evidence of academic zeal)
    • My designated supervisor already has more than his share of PhD students (attached to his research, that is - as I would also be).

Why am I even bothering to apply, you ask? Well...:

• My thesis buddy and I produced real research worthy of publication in a decent journal (and the idea was mine, although I can't prove that)
    • My designated supervisor, who is the most prestigious and powerful researcher at the department...
    • ... wants me on his research team and will write a letter of recommendation for the PhD committee...
    • ... two out of three members of which happen to be PhD students of his.
    • I can write a killer application.

Will this be enough? Stay tuned; I'll find out in mid-December.

MBTI
    INTj

In the meantime, can you start a thread about economics and teach some of the members the basics?

They really do need your help.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    In the meantime, can you start a thread about economics and teach some of the members the basics?

They really do need your help.
    I was going to say we've had this conversation but I see I didn't reply to your last PM.

So, how do you propose to make it worth my while?

Off to the gym, BBL.

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    For crying out loud, send it to people on here to review, woman!

FWIW, I imagine you interview very well and will get the job.

I... suppose. Yeah!

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    So, how do you propose to make it worth my while?
    You'll be doing it as a service to a community that you clearly value. So open your heart and give a little.

If not . . . then I'm sure it will be entertaining in the very least.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight