• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is my undergrad GPA too low?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have a 3.24 GPA as an undergrad at a top liberal arts college, studying computer science. I am wondering if this is something that leads me out of the running for most graduate school programs, or if it is nothing to be worried about? I don't normally ask these kinds of questions, but it's something I'm thinking about. I come across a lot of stuff saying that it's a good idea to have a GPA of 3.5 or higher.

á´…eparted

passages
Nah you're GPA is fine. The key is to be above a 3.0. I graduated with a B.S. in chemistry at 3.19 and I got into a very good program. What sells you above all else is (research) experience, of which I had tons of. That speaks to your ability and drive more than a number does. Having solid letters of recommendation are big as well. GPA also means less if you have been out of school for a while.

As my professors said to me when I applied: "Apply where you want to go, the worst they can do is say no".

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I see most programs having their cut off at 2.5, overseas.

In Singapore where it's super competitive, the cut off is at least 3.75.

I also agree with [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] that experience sells. If there is any way you can prove your experience through a portfolio or research paper or whatever, it will really help. The GPA is just the icing or cherry on the cake.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a 3.24 GPA as an undergrad at a top liberal arts college, studying computer science. I am wondering if this is something that leads me out of the running for most graduate school programs, or if it is nothing to be worried about? I don't normally ask these kinds of questions, but it's something I'm thinking about. I come across a lot of stuff saying that it's a good idea to have a GPA of 3.5 or higher.
I agree with the other posted comments. Your GPA is not enough to exclude you from programs. If spaces are limited, other applicants with better GPAs may have an edge, but you can overcome that with experience, a good essay/interview, and other factors.

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Impressed by the good responses to this question. Does GPA within your major matter? Like, if Osprey has a 3.24 GPA but 3.6 in computer science courses, does that make any difference?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Impressed by the good responses to this question. Does GPA within your major matter? Like, if Osprey has a 3.24 GPA but 3.6 in computer science courses, does that make any difference?

It doesn't matter. I got into the program I wanted.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
In computer science, I wouldn't worry about that at all. I remember acquaintances in college saying that anything in the high 2s in comp sci is usually considered good.

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I mean, yeah, it's a good idea. Just like it's a good idea to score as high as possible on the GRE, and just like it's a good idea to graduate from a prestigious a university as possible, and just like it's a good idea to have impeccable references, etc, etc, etc. Anything that helps is a good idea. But a good idea is not the same as a necessity.

My GPA after I graduated was a 3.169. I only remember that cause 69. I didn't even qualify to apply to some graduate schools when I decided to go into social work instead of what my major was. I took the GRE, scored 94th percentile in Verbal Reasoning. Applied to a graduate school, didn't get in.

I went back and took 1 1/2 years of classes for a major in Psychology. I made all As, changed 1 reference, and applied to many more schools. I ended up getting into my dream choice that I only applied to so I could practice the application process for the more realistic schools. My GPA ended up like a 3.251 by the time I graduated, and I only know that because I barely qualified for some of the 3.25 minimum GPA schools to apply to.

At the end of the day, your GPA is a single factor in a constellation of factors. In fact, I'd say (with my experience as anecdotal evidence to back it up) that the last semesters are far more reflective of your academic capabilities than your total GPA. If you're pulling Cs and Bs in your last semester, then yeah, that's a bit of a flag. But if you have a 3.06 because you had a bad transition to college and have pulled straight As for two years, that's a very different outlook. They want to know you can do the work NOW, they don't care what you made in Spanish back when you were a freshman.

Computer science is probably a lot different than social work, granted. I know for a fact your quantitative reasoning scores matter more, and probably any work you've done? But graduate school applications are still pretty much the same. No one thing sinks you. If you have a bad GPA and sub-par recommendations, and your GRE scores are barely above average, that's a different picture than a high GRE person who has impressive recommendations and solid work to show to make up for mistakes they made years ago. I had good recommendations and a good GRE showing, and good classwork after I went back to school to make up for my complete lack of resume and my crappy GPA.

What you should be prepared for that is that you're not necessarily like to get into the school of your choice. Don't apply to one school, or two, or three. I was prepared to apply to about seven, including all 3 locally and 4 online since I can't move. Spread your net wide. You need to prepare the statistical truth that you may not get accepted because other applicants were just better, or more suited to other candidates. The program I got rejected from (twice) is a dinky little program that's stocked with child therapists. I have no interest in child therapy, and the graduate I know from the program works with children. They don't SAY they're a child therapy program, but it's clear that's their preference. So you might very well get rejected even with an application that has nothing wrong with it, but because it's not one they personally prefer. So go for the programs you like (fuck knows it worked out for me), but also hedge your bets by applying lots of places. The one that takes you is the one where you're going to fit best.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think you should aspire for something higher if not for grad school, for getting a job afterwards. Employers do look at grades. It just gives you more options. After you get the job of course, nobody cares.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=4660]Osprey[/MENTION], what subject are you now studying in grad school?

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Master of Science in Biomedical Informatics. :)
Exciting.

This thread caught my eye because while I haven't contemplated graduate school in a while because of other goals in the way first, relatively it won't be long until this opens up as an option again. But my GPA was around 3.15-ish, so I thought the option was probably closed off to me.

So, great to see.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Exciting.

This thread caught my eye because while I haven't contemplated graduate school in a while because of other goals in the way first, relatively it won't be long until this opens up as an option again. But my GPA was around 3.15-ish, so I thought the option was probably closed off to me.

So, great to see.

You should give it a try!

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You should give it a try!
Thanks!

Maybe the real largest barrier is that what I'd want more education in wouldn't be close enough in subject matter to what I studied before. But tying them together would be worth an attempt if it were really well backed up with work.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thanks!

Maybe the real largest barrier is that what I'd want more education in wouldn't be close enough in subject matter to what I studied before. But tying them together would be worth an attempt if it were really well backed up with work.

You should see if you can talk to people at the program you're interested in. They might be able to answer your questions. Meet in person, if you can. That's what I did, and I think it helped.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You should see if you can talk to people at the program you're interested in. They might be able to answer your questions. Meet in person, if you can. That's what I did, and I think it helped.
Good idea.