• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are you a teacher?

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Are you a teacher?
Are you studying to become a teacher?
Why did you want to become a teacher?
Do you consider yourself a good pedagogue and speaker?
In what field do you teach?

As many of you know, I live in Sweden. We have a different school system up here, wich causes me to lie if I said I was studying to become a college teacher in english, but it would be close enough. In two and a half years when I am finished with the english, I will pick history. Thus making me a teacher in English and History. There is also the possibility to become a lector, PhD and professor in pedagogy or my fields of knowledge.
I will probably work as a teacher for a longer period and then go for a doctoral degree.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Are you a teacher?
I teach teachers, so it's close. I spend a lot of time in urban classrooms with children ages 10-14, and then more time training adult educators. And I teach college courses. Does that count?

I would have, but when I was in college we were told there wouldn't be jobs, so to major in something else. I wanted to teach because I love literature and dreamed of helping students learn to love books. So I majored in English anyway, and Business. But my doctorate is in education, so I ended up teaching after all, many years later.

I have to say yes, because my students and participants say so. I'm far better now than when I taught my first college course. I learned a lot on the job that semester!!

I've taught business writing, finance. In classes for teachers now, I teach leadership, coaching and differentiated instruction (i.e., tailoring instruction to meet the needs of each student). In urban schools, I mostly work with math teachers. Yesterday I co-taught a problem-solving strategy to 11-year-olds who still struggle to make sense of simple word problems. Challenging for us and yet so rewarding when they start getting it! That's why I'm involved with our schools.

Enyo

MBTI Type
xNTJ
Are you a teacher?

1.) Not yet.
2.) Yup.
3.) I want to teach kids how to think. I want them to have an education that they will value and enjoy gaining. I want to be that influence that drives kids to be successful.
4.) I do well with presentations and facilitation. I was actually a trainer in a classroom setting for a while at my last job.
5.) I'm hoping to teach history or lit to high school students. My major would support teaching either one.

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
Are you a teacher?
Yes. I just started teaching about 5 weeks ago. I was hired by the Spanish dept. of my university to teach SPAN 1001. It's been quite a learning experience!

Hmm originally I didn't. At all. However, as I've gotten a little bit older I realized that I really like school. Actually, I have always liked academia. I love books, and language, and foreign cultures so language education kind of envelopes all those things. Also, each student is different, so it's like working a giant rubics cube to figure out what methods, activities, books/lessons work best to promote learning. Teaching is a job that constantly challenges you to find better ways to do things, and while it can get repetitive with the planning and grading, I think it's WAY better than sitting in a cublice all day and running "the rat race." Finally, gotta love summer vacation time!

Overall I'd say I'm ok with it. I'm still new to the job, but for being an introvert I am surprisingly comfortable and "at home" in front of my class. I talk to my students as if they were my friends, and try not to ever talk down to them. We joke around, and for the most part I feel my class is interesting to them even despite all the grammar and vocab. Really, I like the college-aged kids (from 18-25)...they've been great fun to work with!

Right now I'm teaching beginning-level Spanish, and have been loving it! However, I'm studying to teach English as a Second Language, but I may drift between the 2 languages as job availability changes. I think I also want to become certified in Mathematics at the middle and high school levels.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
mi madres is a teacher. she seems to enjoy it.

i have nothing else to contribute to this thread. :)

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I'd like to be a teacher, but for now I am the student--just started my first year of college.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
i am a teacher, but today i am grumpy about it, so i'll get back to you on that.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I teach people how to make things disappear. So i guess you can say im a teacher and magician.

Snowey1210

MBTI Type
ENTP
Are you a teacher?
No not yet, I will be in about 6 weeks when I finish my degree.

Yes, as above.

I guess it's because I wasn't really sure what it was that I wanted to do. Being a teacher is good because it suits my Jack-of-all-trades personality. At the moment it is what I want to do, however I wouldn't mind other areas of study in the future. However, It is a good feeling knowing that you have made a difference in people's lives.

Yes, I believe I am. I am a very content driven teacher, and believe strongly in building the connection between the "outside world" and the classroom. I find that students need to understand the ultimate purpose behind what it is they are learning, as knowledge is pointless within a vaccuum. I'm also a big advocate of Inquiry-Based Learning. I believe the student needs to be able to drive their learning through their own questioning, as a means to encourage life long learning.

I'm a good speaker in front of the class, but I've always felt more comfortable when I've had a bit of an Audience. I guess it's an ENTP thing, lol.

I'm going to be a Primary School teacher so I have to teacher a broad variety of different subjects. I'm not too keen on the idea of high school teaching (bad memories, lol), but lecturing would probably be pretty cool.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Are you a teacher?

Technically, yes. I'm a TA, but I have to teach an independent course (I'm not one of those TA's that only has to grade tests and papers).

Yes, since a professor is a type of teacher.

Well, I want to become a professor, and teaching is one part of being a professor. So I'd say that I decided to become a teacher about three years ago when I decided to go into academia. Teaching never was the central focus of my goals, though.

I'd honestly like to think so...but I often have my doubts. Sometimes I feel like I'm being redundant or talking down to the students, but this usually turns out to be false (at least I think). I'd say that my overall strength as a teacher has been my objectivity and laid-back manner (and sense of humor). I actually got a compliment from a student the other day for being one of the only TA's of the course (there are several sections being taught by a bunch of other TA's in the department) that doesn't bring my personal politics into the classroom. Even though this isn't something that I do deliberately, I thought that it was a fair remark about my style of teaching.

As far as being a speaker, I know that my delivery can always use improvement. That being said, I do think that I do a fair job. Not spectacular, but fair.

I teach public speaking...which is a challenge because it's one of those courses that sits right between being academic and practical (not that something can't be both). So I have to balance lecturing on the history of oratory with having the class do improvisation games to improve diction and delivery...which can be a weird transition.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
When I see Orangey's name as the last poster of this topic, my brain reads the thread title as "Orange You a Teacher?" Like the old "Orange you glad I didn't say banana?" jokes.

I am a teacher, and when my brain is less fried, I'll come back and answer the questions.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Are you a teacher?
Well, I teach biochem practical to 2nd-year students, have been since the beginning of this year.

No. I am studying to become a researcher. The teaching gig is for fun.

Um, the part-time job paid relatively well? Plus, I'd have time to work on my research project. It was only later on that I realised that 1) I love teaching 2) I hate marking.

Um, no. I stutter when I get excited/nervous and my students think that it's cute (sad but true, they told me this). Also, I am not assertive enough to get my students to focus, finish their work on time etc. Students who are independent and driven find me an encouraging, motivating teacher. Students who want to escape from the class ASAP find me easy to bully. (That said, I take marks off and figure that if they don't want to be there, it's their choice.)

Biochemistry.

I don't think I could teach full-time though. I hate the marking, students being unmotivated, etc.

booya moon

MBTI Type
ENTP
Um, no. I stutter when I get excited/nervous and my students think that it's cute (sad but true, they told me this). Also, I am not assertive enough to get my students to focus, finish their work on time etc. Students who are independent and driven find me an encouraging, motivating teacher. Students who want to escape from the class ASAP find me easy to bully. (That said, I take marks off and figure that if they don't want to be there, it's their choice.)

Biochemistry.

I don't think I could teach full-time though. I hate the marking, students being unmotivated, etc.

Hi fellow scientist :hi:
My primary occupation is also research, but we are required do some teaching as well. I teach Clinical biochemistry and laboratory medicine and this year I am starting with Genetics. At the beginning I felt it is such a waste of time (stealing away my precious research time :nerd:), but realized I am quite good at it - so now it is one of my favorite activities. Actually, the interaction with students gives me fresh energy and enthusiasm when my lab-work is not going so well.
I always feel I could do better, but apparently my students are satisfied with me. At the end of each year the students anonymously grade the teaching staff - you get the grades from 1 to 5 (5 being the highest) - so you can get a feedback about your work. This year I got 4.8 average - so I obviously rock :D And in addition to that I am quite entertaining. Once after the seminar one of the students said (with a disappointed expression): you didn`t say anything funny today. Maybe I have chosen a wrong profession - should be a stand-up comedian?
Unmotivated students are really depressing, but the ones that are willing to learn are really worth it :yes:

Enyo

MBTI Type
xNTJ
Unmotivated college students always annoy me. I mean, honestly, if they were paying for it themselves instead of relying on mommy and daddy's dime, I'm pretty sure they'd care more.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Unmotivated college students always annoy me. I mean, honestly, if they were paying for it themselves instead of relying on mommy and daddy's dime, I'm pretty sure they'd care more.

That's right - since the 2nd year, when I started to use my own money, I became a lot more motivated.

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Are you a teacher?

Yes

A good teacher never stops studying to become a better one so yup...still studying

I like the thought of helping others with their thinking process. I don't think people do enough thinking on their own. Most people get told what to think and don't know how to start or encourage their own thinking process. I wanted that to change

If I went on others perceptions I'd have to say yes..but I question myself everyday and try to figure out ways to be better

I am a special education teacher as well as an elementary education teacher. I am certified to teach Special Ed K-12 and Regular ed K-8.
Presently I'm teaching all subjects to a fifth grade population (10/11 yrs)

Mighty Mouse

MBTI Type
ENFP
Are you a teacher?

As many of you know, I live in Sweden. We have a different school system up here, wich causes me to lie if I said I was studying to become a college teacher in english, but it would be close enough. In two and a half years when I am finished with the english, I will pick history. Thus making me a teacher in English and History. There is also the possibility to become a lector, PhD and professor in pedagogy or my fields of knowledge.
I will probably work as a teacher for a longer period and then go for a doctoral degree.

Is there something particular that you are looking to know about the actual experience of teaching that will help you in your exploration of the issue?

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Are you a teacher?

I lecture in my professional environment to adults in groups of about 30-150 depending upon subject and occasion. Usually in 1-2 hr slots on technical updates but I also do teaching on stuff like career development and how to look after staff.

I do it because I used to hate being on my feet in front of a group - if I didnt embrace it, the knowledge that it'd keep being there in the background would have always tormented me. So I did it to gain comfort from the fear of it, and now I mostly enjoy it.