• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What career should I choose?

Purplemoon

MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
5w6
I'm 21 years old and I'll be 22 this September. I do not know what career I would like, or what I should do with my life. For the past 3 years, I've been going to a community college, and I only have about 15 credits (pathetic I know). I've had both physical and mental health issues since high school, and I've had to take several breaks while going to college. I still have these issues, but I feel like they don't affect me as much as they used to. These health issues, and the fact that I've been in college for 3 years and don't even have 50 credits yet have affected my self-esteem greatly. I'm a perfectionist and I like to have control over my life.

Anyways, I'm having trouble picking a career. I don't function well in group settings, and I hate group work with a passion. I have no interest working in a corporate setting, and I have no desire to climb the corporate ladder. I also have no interest in business, accounting, or finance, even though I'm ok at those things. My hobbies are: writing, drawing, painting, music, and reading (mostly non-fiction). I'd also like to learn a forgein language, preferably French. I took two French classes in high school, but my counsellors and teachers pushed me to do Advanced English, Advanced history and government, and science and math courses, so I never took French 4-5. The reason I was pushed to do so much science and math was because all throughout middle school and high school, my teachers thought I would make a great scientist, and I was flattered by it. I didn't realize that I had no interest in becoming a scientist until 12th grade, and whil

Here is a list of the careers I've considered:

• Graphic design - I like art but I'm not great at it, so I'm not sure about this one.

• Technical writing - I like writing, but again, I'm not good at it, so I'm not sure about this one either.

• Librarian - Something I've always gravitated to, but I don't want my near-elderly parents to go bankrupt by trying to help me through grad school, but then again I could always work two jobs so they won't have to help me, and I won't feel worried about their well-being.

• Paralegal - I love learning about the law, but I don't think I'm made out or would even like being a lawyer. This one would also be the one of the easier options, since I'd only need two year degree to work at most places. If I were to become a paralegal, I would prefer to work in a smaller law firm as opposed to a large law firm or corporation.

• Art or music history researcher/curator/archivist - My dream job, but I don't think these are realistic options for me.

• Website design - I think I'd enjoy this more than graphic design.

The three I'm learning towards are paralegal, technical writer, and website design. I'm just worried about my future.

Last edited:

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Nobody can tell you. My advice is to major in education and become a teacher in something in demand like science or math. You can resume your soul searching over your summer breaks. I know I don't think of teaching as my perfect career, but I figure it is better to do SOMETHING in the meantime instead of being a bum and then not having anyway to follow my dream once I finally find it. I've been introspecting for 4 years, and no luck. You'd best just pick the most practical option now and focus on the ideal later.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not sure theres alot of demand for website or gaphic design since there are alot of applicants in those fields.

Not sure I'd go for teaching unless you tolerate children well...you said you haate groups so maybe groups of kids are even worse?

StrawberryJam

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm 21 years old and I'll be 22 this September. I do not know what career I would like, or what I should do with my life. For the past 3 years, I've been going to a community college, and I only have about 15 credits (pathetic I know). I've had both physical and mental health issues since high school, and I've had to take several breaks while going to college. I still have these issues, but I feel like they don't affect me as much as they used to. These health issues, and the fact that I've been in college for 3 years and don't even have 50 credits yet have affected my self-esteem greatly. I'm a perfectionist and I like to have control over my life.

Anyways, I'm having trouble picking a career. I don't function well in group settings, and I hate group work with a passion. I have no interest working in a corporate setting, and I have no desire to climb the corporate ladder. I also have no interest in business, accounting, or finance, even though I'm ok at those things. My hobbies are: writing, drawing, painting, music, and reading (mostly non-fiction). I'd also like to learn a forgein language, preferably French. I took two French classes in high school, but my counsellors and teachers pushed me to do Advanced English, Advanced history and government, and science and math courses, so I never took French 4-5. The reason I was pushed to do so much science and math was because all throughout middle school and high school, my teachers thought I would make a great scientist, and I was flattered by it. I didn't realize that I had no interest in becoming a scientist until 12th grade, and whil

Here is a list of the careers I've considered:

• Graphic design - I like art but I'm not great at it, so I'm not sure about this one.

• Technical writing - I like writing, but again, I'm not good at it, so I'm not sure about this one either.

• Librarian - Something I've always gravitated to, but I don't want my near-elderly parents to go bankrupt by trying to help me through grad school, but then again I could always work two jobs so they won't have to help me, and I won't feel worried about their well-being.

• Paralegal - I love learning about the law, but I don't think I'm made out or would even like being a lawyer. This one would also be the one of the easier options, since I'd only need two year degree to work at most places. If I were to become a paralegal, I would prefer to work in a smaller law firm as opposed to a large law firm or corporation.

• Art or music history researcher/curator/archivist - My dream job, but I don't think these are realistic options for me.

• Website design - I think I'd enjoy this more than graphic design.

The three I'm learning towards are paralegal, technical writer, and website design. I'm just worried about my future.

You are correct! If your passion lies on writing, painting and others, you could be successful in a career like a website designer, a graphic artist or a writer. Anything that you really like doing and you have the talent to do so is most likely appropriate for you to choose or focus more.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
[MENTION=28246]Purplemoon[/MENTION]

I am a teacher and a writer and am currently going back to school. The standard of living - where I live - is high and those careers do not pay sufficiently.

Part of being a writer is selling oneself. You say you enjoy writing but are not good at it. If you seriously consider writing, I would recommend some writing classes or a personal study of the art. When you have enough confidence in your talent to ask someone to pay for it = you are ready to work in that field.

I found it very helpful to research career forecasting. Which jobs will be in demand, in 5 or 10 years? What are the projected salaries? What percentage of each gender is usually hired for those jobs?

I went to the local Government Employment Agency when considering what to choose and they were so great, in pointing me towards relevant information. They had tests that helped narrow my focus, and also had access to jobs that were not advertised publicly.

If you can't find these resources, is there a local (hmm, in Canada we call them MLA's or Ombudsman...not sure what they are called in the U.S.) political representative that you could phone and ask for assistance locating resources?

Is it more important for you to enjoy the work you do, even if the pay is less? Or is it more important that you provide for yourself and have extra spare time for your hobbies? Do you want benefits? What salary do you require to meet your needs? How many hours a week would you like to work? These are all considerations.

I hope you are able to access local resources, because I know it can seem overwhelming to wade through the process on your own. All the best!!

Purplemoon

MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
5w6
Nobody can tell you. My advice is to major in education and become a teacher in something in demand like science or math. You can resume your soul searching over your summer breaks. I know I don't think of teaching as my perfect career, but I figure it is better to do SOMETHING in the meantime instead of being a bum and then not having anyway to follow my dream once I finally find it. I've been introspecting for 4 years, and no luck. You'd best just pick the most practical option now and focus on the ideal later.

I have considered becoming a math teacher, but I feel as though I'm too cold and distant in terms of personality to actually thrive in the profession. I think I have a really intense look that scares a lot of people, especially children. Also, I rarely smile, and I have a hard time faking being happy and people oriented; It just feels so fake and forced whenever I try to act being "happy".

Purplemoon

MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
5w6
Not sure theres alot of demand for website or gaphic design since there are alot of applicants in those fields.

Not sure I'd go for teaching unless you tolerate children well...you said you haate groups so maybe groups of kids are even worse?

I'm not really interested in graphic design or website design. Other people suggested I try those things, because apparently I have a good eye for design and art. I have considered becoming a teacher, but I hate groups. Also, I'm not really all that found of children. I don't hate kids, and I want to have a few kids, but I don't like being responsible for other people's children.

Purplemoon

MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
5w6
You are correct! If your passion lies on writing, painting and others, you could be successful in a career like a website designer, a graphic artist or a writer. Anything that you really like doing and you have the talent to do so is most likely appropriate for you to choose or focus more.

I know, I just don't know where to begin.

Purplemoon

MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
5w6
[MENTION=28246]Purplemoon[/MENTION]

I am a teacher and a writer and am currently going back to school. The standard of living - where I live - is high and those careers do not pay sufficiently.

Part of being a writer is selling oneself. You say you enjoy writing but are not good at it. If you seriously consider writing, I would recommend some writing classes or a personal study of the art. When you have enough confidence in your talent to ask someone to pay for it = you are ready to work in that field.

I found it very helpful to research career forecasting. Which jobs will be in demand, in 5 or 10 years? What are the projected salaries? What percentage of each gender is usually hired for those jobs?

I went to the local Government Employment Agency when considering what to choose and they were so great, in pointing me towards relevant information. They had tests that helped narrow my focus, and also had access to jobs that were not advertised publicly.

If you can't find these resources, is there a local (hmm, in Canada we call them MLA's or Ombudsman...not sure what they are called in the U.S.) political representative that you could phone and ask for assistance locating resources?

Is it more important for you to enjoy the work you do, even if the pay is less? Or is it more important that you provide for yourself and have extra spare time for your hobbies? Do you want benefits? What salary do you require to meet your needs? How many hours a week would you like to work? These are all considerations.

I hope you are able to access local resources, because I know it can seem overwhelming to wade through the process on your own. All the best!!

•Over the past few days I've been thinking about my original post. I like writing, but I don't think I have the talent to make a living off of it, so I'm thinking of scratching it off my list.

•I have looked at resources. I live in the U.S., so I look at the BLS list of careers. It states the median salary, entry-level education requirements, and the expected growth for jobs.

•Most career test I've taken over the past 4-5 years have said that I should either be a paralegal, law clerk, court clerk, legal mediator, librarian, curator, actuary, mathematician, auditor, or chemist.

•I'm ok with not making a lot of money. However, I have expensive taste, so I feel like I'm forced to go into a high-paying profession I hate. I'm trying to become more frugal so that I can actually do something I enjoy.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
•Over the past few days I've been thinking about my original post. I like writing, but I don't think I have the talent to make a living off of it, so I'm thinking of scratching it off my list.

•I have looked at resources. I live in the U.S., so I look at the BLS list of careers. It states the median salary, entry-level education requirements, and the expected growth for jobs.

•Most career test I've taken over the past 4-5 years have said that I should either be a paralegal, law clerk, court clerk, legal mediator, librarian, curator, actuary, mathematician, auditor, or chemist.

•I'm ok with not making a lot of money. However, I have expensive taste, so I feel like I'm forced to go into a high-paying profession I hate. I'm trying to become more frugal so that I can actually do something I enjoy.

That's great you have already been able to do a lot of leg-work.

I don't know if being a paralegal appeals to you but my friends who do that are always moving up the ladder. They seem to regularly receive increase in pay, get good vacation time, benefits and further job opportunities. The job satisfaction they enjoy seems fairly appealing. :shrug:

Purplemoon

MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
5w6
That's great you have already been able to do a lot of leg-work.

I don't know if being a paralegal appeals to you but my friends who do that are always moving up the ladder. They seem to regularly receive increase in pay, get good vacation time, benefits and further job opportunities. The job satisfaction they enjoy seems fairly appealing. :shrug:

Being a paralegal does appeal to me. I like law-related things, but I have no interest in becoming a lawyer.

Purplemoon

MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
5w6
stay at home parent

Well, being a stay at home parent is my dream, but I still need a way to support myself before getting married, and becoming a stay at home mother. Also, I'd like to have some education to fall back on, because I may divorce or my husband may die, but maybe I'm thinking too far into the future.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have considered becoming a math teacher, but I feel as though I'm too cold and distant in terms of personality to actually thrive in the profession. I think I have a really intense look that scares a lot of people, especially children. Also, I rarely smile, and I have a hard time faking being happy and people oriented; It just feels so fake and forced whenever I try to act being "happy".

Believe it or not, the scary teachers fare better when they are new to teaching. Kids like to walk all over the nice ones. I sometimes wonder if I'm too sweet for teaching. A happy medium is best in the long run.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not really interested in graphic design or website design. Other people suggested I try those things, because apparently I have a good eye for design and art. I have considered becoming a teacher, but I hate groups. Also, I'm not really all that found of children. I don't hate kids, and I want to have a few kids, but I don't like being responsible for other people's children.

I thought you said you weren't good at art?
Design is highly competative and most art jobs don't pay well, yet expect a long list of skills. You have to be a mover-and-shaker if you do freelance or you will end up in an art department (read: officeh/corporate stuff).

It sounds like a parallegal is your best bet. In the OP you sound the most positive about it.... It seems you may like research oriented work (ie librarian, curator), and that seems like a realistic option in that area.

Often doing stuff we feel adept at can become very rewarding. Keeeping personal interests personal can maintain the joy in it, whereas making it your job can suck the joy out of it.

Purplemoon

MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
5w6
I thought you said you weren't good at art?
Design is highly competative and most art jobs don't pay well, yet expect a long list of skills. You have to be a mover-and-shaker if you do freelance or you will end up in an art department (read: officeh/corporate stuff).

It sounds like a parallegal is your best bet. In the OP you sound the most positive about it.... It seems you may like research oriented work (ie librarian, curator), and that seems like a realistic option in that area.

Often doing stuff we feel adept at can become very rewarding. Keeeping personal interests personal can maintain the joy in it, whereas making it your job can suck the joy out of it.

I think becoming a paralegal is my most realistic option. I have thought about becoming a librarian or curator, but to get jobs in those fields you need a graduate degree or PhD, and I'm not sure if I really want to go through years of schooling. The only problem I'm having is figuring out what degree I need to become a paralegal. Some people tell me I only need an Associate's degree in paralegal studies, while other people say that many firms prefer that you have a Bachelor's degree and a certificate in paralegal studies.

I'm not really interested in graphic design. Other people have suggested that I should become a graphic designer, but I've never been interested in it. While I do like art, I find that enjoy painting and learning about art history more than graphic design.

Permabanned
Well, being a stay at home parent is my dream, but I still need a way to support myself before getting married, and becoming a stay at home mother. Also, I'd like to have some education to fall back on, because I may divorce or my husband may die, but maybe I'm thinking too far into the future.

you can prioritize getting married and figure out the rest afterwards

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If all else fails, you can become a nun. In exchange for a few vows, you'll have a community to support you. I personally prefer Buddhist nuns, but that is up to you.