• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's so bad about wanting a Union job?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm well educated and apparently "bright" according to people but I'm really not that ambitious when it comes to finding a job that people think would be "fitting" for me.

I don't want a job that makes me work weekends, I want 40 hours in and then be able to go home and forget about it. I want to be able to put in my time on a job during the weekdays, get paid decently, get good insurance and be able to retire with no real concerns. I don't want a job that invades my thoughts at home, or that I have to worry about how I dress as to how I will advance through the "corporate ladder." I want a union job!

Every time I voice this preference though, people tell me "oh, you shouldn't do that! you're so much better than that!" or worse yet "that would be such a waste!"

Why is it anyone else's concern what a person does for a living? And is it possible to be "too good" to do certain types of work? :huh:

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I can understand why you'd value those aspects, but are you certain a union can provide them?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
they've done a good job for those I know who have union jobs (teachers excluded)- most of my high school classmates are living a lot better than me, and the forwent college to go to the factories or trades

(and no- I don't want a factory job- they move away :( )

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
That's completely understandable. But also think that there are many jobs that don't imply the necessity of climbing the corporate ladder! You might want to try to widen your horizons after you start from wherever you're comfortable starting. Anyway, I agree with you that free time is an invaluable resource.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I don't see how union membership would determine whether or not a job invades your thoughts at home. Also, do you really expect a union to take care of your retirement? Considering how easy it is for union officials to become corrupt, I would personally have a big problem with letting a union or my employer manage my retirement funds. I'd rather hire a financial advisor, assuming I'm not managing the funds myself (which I am).

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Sounds good to me. Some unions are crap, but there are some good ones still out there.

Edit: Maybe it's a combination of my blue collar background and the Protestant Work Ethic hammered into my head by the Baptist school, but all honest work is honorable in my mind and I can't understand why people look down on those who work with their hands, etc.

Lookin4theBestNU

MBTI Type
ENFj
Enneagram
2w3
I wouldn't say unions are bad or people are in any way bad for wanting to be in them at all if they actually deliver what they say. The only thing that I would keep in mind is that a)unions are a business b) the only thing they can guarantee is that you will pay their dues. Your experience with the people you know sounds opposite of the people I know including my husband. You can always join them and leave unless it is a union run shop. I wouldn't work anywhere I was forced to pay for representation I didn't feel I needed. Union battles can get fierce from the town I came from. Crossing the picket lines, strikes etc. all sound like a headache to me. I can't imagine going weeks without pay to prove a point in the event of the worst.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Unions aren't 'bad' any more than government is 'bad'. Unions are a tool, and when people are given power with little or no accountability, they're apt to abuse that power. This seems to be a problem for unions because...how do you judge success? It's so subjective. There's no profit and loss statement. You never really know if you were better off with or without them.

I don't see anything 'wrong' with wanting to join a union. Someone who has that desire simply values things differently than me.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
One of the most promising young people I've ever met works in a cafe. He gets to have lots of fun and learns about different kinds of tea. He's happy.

heart

heart on fire
The only problem is that now union members on average are so apathetic. Their forefathers fought and won, hard earned workers rights in this country and yet they can't even be bothered to show up for the union meetings. When you don't watch what the people who in control are doing, you get what you deserve. They act like they are paying dues to a customer service type organization that will just do all the work on their behalf. It was never meant to be that way, the members are the union and that's the only way it could ever work. Since so many members no longer realize this, unions are crumbling.

The people who bitch the loudest about the union dues in the union are usually the people who never bother to go to the meetings, much less actually go and stand up and make the leadership answer for what they do and never vote in the elections.

There's an excellent movie called "Blue Collar" that really explores all of these issues.

Usehername

On a mission
I worked at Safeway (major grocery chain in Canada and some parts of the States) and we had to pay $12.xx in union dues per week--even when I was young and only given a four hour shift a week. :huh:

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I worked at Safeway (major grocery chain in Canada and some parts of the States) and we had to pay $12.xx in union dues per week--even when I was young and only given a four hour shift a week. :huh:

Being forced to be in the union to work the job is crap imo. It's like being forced to join AARP once you turn 65. Luckily, TX is a right to work state. Not sure how it is in Canada though.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think that most of you totally missed the question of the OP :dry: a debate on unions would be posted in the politics section...

and yeah, I know that there are good ones and bad ones, but I've got ties into some of them, which definitley helps out with hiring proccesses ;)

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I think that most of you totally missed the question of the OP :dry: a debate on unions would be posted in the politics section...

and yeah, I know that there are good ones and bad ones, but I've got ties into some of them, which definitley helps out with hiring proccesses ;)
So true. My uncle is the big guy in the local operators union. He and I don't get along so he would probably never do anything for me or mine, but I've seen the way he can set people up when he wants to. Pretty wild.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
There is nothing intrinsically wrong with wanting to be in a union. I'm a committed libertarian, and I will end up in the Producers Guild of America if my career trajectory takes me that way. That is not like a regular union, but they do help to set minimum salaries for producers on major motion pictures, and they also fight credit proliferation. Mostly, it seems like a networking organization, though. Fine by me.

ygolo

My termites win

There is nothing wrong with a lack of ambition. But, part of that deal is that people will notice potential in you that you don't utilize. But its certainly isn't immoral or anything.

I was like that for a while for a little while when really young, but people kept telling me to "apply myself." I finally found something to be ambitious about, but being ambitious has its issues too. One of which is the feeling of never really being satisfied. It is also hard to return the happy-go-lucky way of life, because an inner voice pointing at "wasted potential" keeps clamoring.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
yeah- I'm not particularly disturbed by my lack of ambition- it lets me relax in ways that my more ambitious friends never really get. I don't want to be rich, just comfortable, and if I'm happy with my life and lifestyle I don't see why it's anyone else's business whether I'm "using my full potential" or not :dry:

If I have enough money to travel and survive and I can retire when I'm old enough, I'm set! :D

I just don't get the idea that a person should feel committed to using thier full potential... I don't feel that I owe society MY happiness and peace of mind!

Does a person owe the full use of thier skills to society? :huh:

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
Sounds good to me. Some unions are crap, but there are some good ones still out there.

Edit: Maybe it's a combination of my blue collar background and the Protestant Work Ethic hammered into my head by the Baptist school, but all honest work is honorable in my mind and I can't understand why people look down on those who work with their hands, etc.

Agreed!

heart

heart on fire
Do what makes you happy Whatever, because the people around you will always find something to criticize you about.

If you've never seen the movie "Blue Collar" though, rent it, you'd appreciate it, especially the quote at the very end. Lots of truth in that movie about human nature.