User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I worked at Safeway (major grocery chain in Canada and some parts of the States) and we had to pay $12.xx in union dues per week--even when I was young and only given a four hour shift a week.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I worked at Safeway (major grocery chain in Canada and some parts of the States) and we had to pay $12.xx in union dues per week--even when I was young and only given a four hour shift a week.
    Being forced to be in the union to work the job is crap imo. It's like being forced to join AARP once you turn 65. Luckily, TX is a right to work state. Not sure how it is in Canada though.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I think that most of you totally missed the question of the OP a debate on unions would be posted in the politics section...

and yeah, I know that there are good ones and bad ones, but I've got ties into some of them, which definitley helps out with hiring proccesses
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I think that most of you totally missed the question of the OP a debate on unions would be posted in the politics section...

and yeah, I know that there are good ones and bad ones, but I've got ties into some of them, which definitley helps out with hiring proccesses
    So true. My uncle is the big guy in the local operators union. He and I don't get along so he would probably never do anything for me or mine, but I've seen the way he can set people up when he wants to. Pretty wild.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ESFJ

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with wanting to be in a union. I'm a committed libertarian, and I will end up in the Producers Guild of America if my career trajectory takes me that way. That is not like a regular union, but they do help to set minimum salaries for producers on major motion pictures, and they also fight credit proliferation. Mostly, it seems like a networking organization, though. Fine by me.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

There is nothing wrong with a lack of ambition. But, part of that deal is that people will notice potential in you that you don't utilize. But its certainly isn't immoral or anything.

I was like that for a while for a little while when really young, but people kept telling me to "apply myself." I finally found something to be ambitious about, but being ambitious has its issues too. One of which is the feeling of never really being satisfied. It is also hard to return the happy-go-lucky way of life, because an inner voice pointing at "wasted potential" keeps clamoring.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTJ

Why is it anyone else's concern what a person does for a living? And is it possible to be "too good" to do certain types of work?
    It isn't unless it directly effects them, and nope.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

yeah- I'm not particularly disturbed by my lack of ambition- it lets me relax in ways that my more ambitious friends never really get. I don't want to be rich, just comfortable, and if I'm happy with my life and lifestyle I don't see why it's anyone else's business whether I'm "using my full potential" or not

If I have enough money to travel and survive and I can retire when I'm old enough, I'm set!

I just don't get the idea that a person should feel committed to using thier full potential... I don't feel that I owe society MY happiness and peace of mind!

Does a person owe the full use of thier skills to society?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Sounds good to me. Some unions are crap, but there are some good ones still out there.

Edit: Maybe it's a combination of my blue collar background and the Protestant Work Ethic hammered into my head by the Baptist school, but all honest work is honorable in my mind and I can't understand why people look down on those who work with their hands, etc.
    Agreed!
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

heart on fire

Do what makes you happy Whatever, because the people around you will always find something to criticize you about.

If you've never seen the movie "Blue Collar" though, rent it, you'd appreciate it, especially the quote at the very end. Lots of truth in that movie about human nature.