• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Has anyone ever been rejected from a school, but not received a rejection letter?

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I've been waiting for several months now to hear back from a school, and I haven't heard a peep out of them. The date that they said they'd have their class by has long since passed and nothing.

Anyway, I just emailed them to try to get some answers, but I was wondering if anyone has ever been rejected from a school and not told they were rejected? I get that it's a common thing in job interviews, but I've never heard of it happening with schools.

á´…eparted

passages
Technically. When I applied to grad school I never got any word from UBC. I assume they either said no, or it got lost in the mail.

Call and see if they got your application.

/DG/

Technically. When I applied to grad school I never got any word from UBC. I assume they either said no, or it got lost in the mail.

Call and see if they got your application.

Well I know that they did receive the application because afterward they emailed me that a specific portion got lost in the mail, so I emailed it to them and they got it. They were fairly quick to answer my emails before, so I'll wait a coupe days before calling. I'm not particularly hopeful though.

Did you ever contact that school?

á´…eparted

passages
Well I know that they did receive the application because afterward they emailed me that a specific portion got lost in the mail, so I emailed it to them and they got it. They were fairly quick to answer my emails before, so I'll wait a coupe days before calling. I'm not particularly hopeful though.

Did you ever contact that school?

I would still call and ask. The worst they can do is say no.

I did not call UBC because I decided to go somewhere else.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been waiting for several months now to hear back from a school, and I haven't heard a peep out of them. The date that they said they'd have their class by has long since passed and nothing.

Anyway, I just emailed them to try to get some answers, but I was wondering if anyone has ever been rejected from a school and not told they were rejected? I get that it's a common thing in job interviews, but I've never heard of it happening with schools.
If they rejected you that is a pretty crap way of getting the message across. At least send the rejection letter so that the person isn't waiting. Waiting sucks, so I hope you get a response soon!

/DG/

No response is a definite "no"

Again, this isn't a job interview we're talking about here. It's a school application. Common courtesy and social norms dictate that you receive a rejection letter.

-------

Well, if anyone is wondering. They got back to me a bit ago and essentially they were just waiting until the end of the month to reject me. Supposedly I am "on the short list" (which seems to mean waiting list), but considering I was not emailed before much less interviewed, it's probably quite a long list.

Also I just received another rejection from a school today. Looks like I won't be going to grad school this year. Hooray for being a complete and total failure at everything I do!

Ursa

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Again, this isn't a job interview we're talking about here. It's a school application. Common courtesy and social norms dictate that you receive a rejection letter.

-------

Well, if anyone is wondering. They got back to me a bit ago and essentially they were just waiting until the end of the month to reject me. Supposedly I am "on the short list" (which seems to mean waiting list), but considering I was not emailed before much less interviewed, it's probably quite a long list.

Also I just received another rejection from a school today. Looks like I won't be going to grad school this year. Hooray for being a complete and total failure at everything I do!

I heard the graduate school application process is the absolute WORST. Worse than applying for a job. :(

Best of luck on your next round, though. :)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I advise you to stay on the waitlist. I wouldn't have gotten into the school I graduated from, if I hadn't decided to stay on their waitlist. (I actually chose to stay on their waitlist THREE TIMES... long story.)

/DG/

I advise you to stay on the waitlist. I wouldn't have gotten into the school I graduated from, if I hadn't decided to stay on their waitlist. (I actually chose to stay on their waitlist THREE TIMES... long story.)

I'm not sure what you mean exactly. This sounds like an unofficial list, so I'm not sure how I would take myself off of it short of me emailing them back to say "jk lol about the skool guis."

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not sure what you mean exactly. This sounds like an unofficial list, so I'm not sure how I would take myself off of it short of me emailing them back to say "jk lol about the skool guis."
Usually when they tell you you're on a waitlist, they give you the option of taking yourself off. Deciding you'd rather not bother. All three times I've been waitlisted, they gave me that option.

Then again, if yours is an unofficial waitlist, then who knows. I've never been on an unofficial waitlist before.