User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    And why would a person with a business degree lack critical thinking, verbal communication and debate capability? I suspect that those businesses wanted philosophy majors so that they'd accept a lower entry wage in comparison to a business major due to the fact that the degree isn't particularly related to the role they're going to cover. I am not trying to shit philosophy majors here, I am only saying that in this specific case bussinesses could have an ulterior motive for their choice.
    because believe it or not, many business degrees do not promote discussion and on the spot thinking at all. so much of it is just rote learning and doing stuff by the book. philosophy by definition really requires arguing and thinking for yourself.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    because believe it or not, many business degrees do not promote discussion and on the spot thinking at all. so much of it is just rote learning and doing stuff by the book. philosophy by definition really requires arguing and thinking for yourself.
    Well then businesses must ask very different things there in the US, because here what is most rewarded is precisely doing things by the book...
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Well then businesses must ask very different things there in the US, because here what is most rewarded is precisely doing things by the book...
    that's what i said . the business world, especially LEARNING business is very much about doing stuff by the book. philosophers do not do that, we are trained to critique and question.

MBTI
    nnnn

(I always find it so funny that there's an INTJ-INTP like feud going on between the applied sciences and the pure ones/useless humanities degrees - it tends to be financial snobbery vs. intellectual snobbery (poor but smart and free-thinking) - that said, it's kind of true )

I'm pursuing a fairly useless humanities degree.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Do you want to become a philosopher or lead a philosophical life?

Nowadays, a philosopher is one from 9 to 5, while teaching, doing research and writing.
    As soon as he leaves his office and during weekends he is not a philosopher. He is simply a university professor caught in the usual research/publishing/teaching triangle. He is still within the system, relying on it, and having his schedule and overall lifestyle contained by it.

OR

You can lead a philosophical life; incarnating your values, working for your ideals. Spinoza's job was not philosopher but lens a grinder, yet people from all over Europe came to meet him in his workshop seeking his wisdom.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

If you "want to be" a philosopher,

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Majoring in philosophy is my back-up plan if it turns out that I suck too much at mathematics. It is not one my two primariy aims, though.

In the USA, philosophy basically helps you get a job teaching philosophy. Other than that, it is only as useful as any other generic degree. Getting a degree in philosophy is not what most people would call a "career decision".
    A friend of mine got a BA in Philosophy. It turns out that during his time at college, he took so many history courses that he was also qualified to teach US History at the gradeschool level. This was several years back though. I wonder if people have to jump through so many hoops these days that this approach wouldn't work.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII?

I am a philosopher Have you ever read Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder?

MBTI
    INTJ

My humble impression since having left a Philosophy Department some ten years ago is, what's left in Philosophy apart from arcana is the nature of consciousness, now being investigated as Cognitive Biology.

Which is to say, psychology, particularly neurobiology, and philosophy have been meeting up as disciplines for a while now over the Ye Olde (as yet Unsolvdee) Mind/Body Problem.

And having a job as a philosopher is Ye Olde Publish, Publish, Publish, and then Perish Anyway Problem.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    Which is to say, psychology, particularly neurobiology, and philosophy have been meeting up as disciplines for a while now over the Ye Olde (as yet Unsolvdee) Mind/Body Problem.
    Yes, Monism VS Dualism really is the basis of all metaphysics.

I agree. Neuroscience, genetics, psychology are now studying what is at the heart of philosophy though one really should specify: metaphysics, epistemology and ontology.