• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Though I am not enthusiastic about it, i have decided to teach

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm going to begin by saying I hate all of my options, and teaching is just the least of all the evils. I'm very spacey and teaching seems like a job where you can make a few absent-minded ADHD mistakes and not kill a bunch of people, as I am apt to do. I'm sickened by the mere thought of the other things I'll have to put up with but the good news is teachers are paid fairly well in this otherwise shitty town and I'm going to get at least some time off to brood. Since I can't think of anything better, I'll just go and pretend everything is fine like I always do and just save up for retirement. I've pretty much given up on the futile pursuit of happiness and/or meaning, and now I'm just going to sit back and do the bear minimum to get by while simultaneously laughing as the world burns. At least it's not as bad as it could be.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
14y8s5f.jpg

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am thinking about substitute teaching as well.

It's those kids. the ones under 5th grade. Esp those in K thru 2nd grade. so sweet. so generous and real. i can't help but want to be around them.

if I make $75 per day making them have a good day versus a so-so day, it is worth it. It would be worth it for no money, honestly.

i need to get my app in....

i never used to like kids. now i believe they are the light of the world.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
OP: :rofl1:

I distinctly feel like you are mocking me :mellow:

If so, it was not intended.

Also, while the sentiment is real, I was being a little overdramatic. Its more how proscribed education has become. I actually like working with kids to an extent...I feel they have more to teach us adults at times than we give them credit for and I'm more or less a kid in a grown man's body most of the time, anyway. I'm just going to have to accept I'm a little crazy, therapy and medication only gets me so far on my mood swings and innattention to the outside world, and I'm not really going to fit in anywhere. All I know is that I've inadvertantly hurt enough people that I know I should probably get out of pharmacy (hell, the only reason I'm still with this company is that I move stores when things start looking sour...like I may have to do with this very perfectionistic boss at this one store...I just have to remind myself that its not my fault I'm so spacey and I need the money, so I have to just keep moving along until I can move into a field that hurts less people.). No stable job is ADHD friendly, but teaching may not be too bad. I write as a semi-career, but my books aren't too popular and I would make more working part-time at mcdonalds than I do with my books...so I need something stable.

I'm not as bad off as a homeless person in a wartorn country, at least.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am thinking about substitute teaching as well.

It's those kids. the ones under 5th grade. Esp those in K thru 2nd grade. so sweet. so generous and real. i can't help but want to be around them.

if I make $75 per day making them have a good day versus a so-so day, it is worth it. It would be worth it for no money, honestly.

i need to get my app in....

i never used to like kids. now i believe they are the light of the world.

Yeah, a coworker brought their little guy to work once...and I was very distracted by wanting to interact with him. I feel like if I were trying to teach, I should go for the younger kids, since I'm too big of a push-over for older kids. My mom gave me that gem, and since she taught highschool a number of years, it sounds about right.

I can keep small children entertained for hours, the only part that worries me a bit is actually teaching the kids well enough. Many kids here are from poorer households than what I could even imagine, and most kids don't do the whole gestalt thing I did in school. I'll admit that with ADD-innattentive, I was too distracted by my thoughts to be all that aware of my surroundings in class, but I was always a good guesser and test-taker because...I guess I was just bright enough to compensate for my spaciness. I suppose there are always private schools if I can survive my first few years at those public schools where everything is proscribed...then again, I could just screw the rules and do it my way when nobody important is looking.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, a coworker brought their little guy to work once...and I was very distracted by wanting to interact with him. I feel like if I were trying to teach, I should go for the younger kids, since I'm too big of a push-over for older kids. My mom gave me that gem, and since she taught highschool a number of years, it sounds about right.

I can keep small children entertained for hours, the only part that worries me a bit is actually teaching the kids well enough. Many kids here are from poorer households than what I could even imagine, and most kids don't do the whole gestalt thing I did in school. I'll admit that with ADD-innattentive, I was too distracted by my thoughts to be all that aware of my surroundings in class, but I was always a good guesser and test-taker because...I guess I was just bright enough to compensate for my spaciness. I suppose there are always private schools if I can survive my first few years at those public schools where everything is proscribed...then again, I could just screw the rules and do it my way when nobody important is looking.

that is exactly what i was thinking about doing. :D

these kids just need love. and someone to care about them. Some of them anyway. one girl constantly cries when she doesn't understand something. And refuses to try. she crawls under her desk and sits there, pouting. i feel i can totally relate to that. she is maxed out. that she can't do 'concept math' is the least important thing in her world.

i wonder what is making her act that way. and it disturbs me until i can think of little else. :(

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
that is exactly what i was thinking about doing. :D

these kids just need love. and someone to care about them. Some of them anyway. one girl constantly cries when she doesn't understand something. And refuses to try. she crawls under her desk and sits there, pouting. i feel i can totally relate to that. she is maxed out. that she can't do 'concept math' is the least important thing in her world.

i wonder what is making her act that way. and it disturbs me until i can think of little else. :(

Maybe I can dig that after all. I need to get at least another year or two out of this pharmacy job, though i'm already looking for greener pastures. My pharmacy job is not a bad job by any means...its just not good for an ADD-PI person who is spacier than swiss cheese and who has the life of babies literally in his hands. I've already done things just absent-mindedly that have hurt people and nothing seems to make me less absent-minded...so the next step is to hurry up and wait until the opportunity to change fields presents itself.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Which age were you considering? I know you said younger kids, but that's a wide category.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It is not very understandable, the negative thought of expounding knowledge and understanding to others. I find it more satisfying from what I can experience to any other job in itself. There are many faculties of what one achieves by teaching. The first is the push to keep on top of the knowledge base of the subject area one teaches. You can never stop learning in one's own field because the research is constantly being built upon. You have to be vigilant and continue to achieve mastery of the topic that you are teaching and I would only imagine you would teach a topic you found interesting. A second is the amount a student learns as you were a node of knowledge to grasp understanding from. To see them use the knowledge to their own creative outlets depending on what they do is fascinating as it may give new perspective to what you've initially understood. A third is of course to experience the amount of trust given to you by the students of what you teach and to see when they understood something is very sweet.

I currently have a full time job from 8am-5:30pm, but still go in on evenings to teach students at a university, for free. There is more satisfaction in their knowledge growth to me than the money I receive from my job.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It is not very understandable, the negative thought of expounding knowledge and understanding to others. I find it more satisfying from what I can experience to any other job in itself. There are many faculties of what one achieves by teaching. The first is the push to keep on top of the knowledge base of the subject area one teaches. You can never stop learning in one's own field because the research is constantly being built upon. You have to be vigilant and continue to achieve mastery of the topic that you are teaching and I would only imagine you would teach a topic you found interesting. A second is the amount a student learns as you were a node of knowledge to grasp understanding from. To see them use the knowledge to their own creative outlets depending on what they do is fascinating as it may give new perspective to what you've initially understood. A third is of course to experience the amount of trust given to you by the students of what you teach and to see when they understood something is very sweet.

I currently have a full time job from 8am-5:30pm, but still go in on evenings to teach students at a university, for free. There is more satisfaction in their knowledge growth to me than the money I receive from my job.
I think as I've gotten a little older, I've gotten a little compassion burn-out and just want to withdraw to some quiet place. That said, I may like teaching so long as I can break the rules now and then.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think as I've gotten a little older, I've gotten a little compassion burn-out and just want to withdraw to some quiet place. That said, I may like teaching so long as I can break the rules now and then.
You're still very young though. I'd imagine a decent age to be settled into something you've found to be your career is 25. So at the moment, if your compassion's died out for your interests, it should be reignited. The amount you can achieve in the next few years you can build you up in what you're personally interested in. Explore new avenues. If you're interested in games, look into game development. If you're interested in movies, look into film development. If you're interested in helping people, look into your niche in the field of psychology. It's important to build yourself up to be the person of that field. An expert. So find what you solidly want as a career by 25, work to expert by 30-35.

I've initially worked as an architect. I changed interests at 21 and moved towards programming, and within that, game design with virtual reality and augmented reality by about 23. I'm currently solidly grounded in it because it's my found interest. I never knew I'd be in this field when I was at your age but you've got time to explore. Work as a secondary priority to keep yourself living, but keep exploring.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
then again, I could just screw the rules and do it my way when nobody important is looking.
that is exactly what i was thinking about doing. :D(
That said, I may like teaching so long as I can break the rules now and then.
This is a pretty good aspect of my job. Like, I was flat-out told -- "This is your class." Though, I lecture at a university. Not sure how regimented K-12 is.

Screw rules.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is a pretty good aspect of my job. Like, I was flat-out told -- "This is your class." Though, I lecture at a university. Not sure how regimented K-12 is.

Screw rules.
In my state, especially, it is highly regimented, but from what I can tell, it only matters while you are being observed.

I always assumed high school would be best for me, but my mother--a high school teacher for 14 years--says "you seem more like an upper elementary or middle school guy to me."

Kas

Fabula rasa
The truth is that you will never know for 100% whether the profession is right for you before you start to work. It always seems differently in theory than in practice.
I think that it's best just to choose what you find most interesting, most appropriate for you and give it a try. It's not like you can't retrain later and it can turn out to be better than you imagined.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dropping off my sub application today. I don't relish the idea of doing it, but I also don't hate the idea.

Perhaps it will be better than I imagine.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
is 25

is 25

is 25

is 25

is 25

kb7uoi.jpg
This is not strict. I didn't wish for an up in the air thought of very long goals for Magic Qwan as he's still quite young. It's a catered post. I've seen plenty of changes in career by people in their mid thirties, and I hold respect for that change when it is holds risks in their current place. By opinion, I'd say a refining of interests for 40 years is better than a forced career at 20 in something one finds little interest in.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is not strict. I didn't wish for an up in the air thought of very long goals for Magic Qwan as he's still quite young. It's a catered post. I've seen plenty of changes in career by people in their mid thirties, and I hold respect for that change when it is holds risks in their current place. By opinion, I'd say a refining of interests for 40 years is better than a forced career at 20 in something one finds little interest in.

I thought deeply about the decision and considered all of my options for a good 4 years and got nowhere, then I had to make a decision, so I just picked sociology because it soundedmildly interesting. I am now mostly through and decided, in retrospect, it was a mistake. The point is, all the time in the world won't help me make my mind up because I never settle on anything, really. The sole exception is that I want to advocate for climate change awareness and sway people in the larger public to follow some of my more imprtant ideals since I thought them out and am pretty sure things ought to be run a certain way.