User Tag List

123 Last

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Default Help a spatial moron foundation!

Okay, out of curiosity - is there any way one can improve her spatial skills because mine are absolutely atrocious. Before you think I'm exaggerating and making a fuss, I have empirical evidence over several years' time. Plus I cannot drive a car. Literally - not figuratively.

Well, no one can teach me how to drive a car but perhaps I can improve my spatial skills because it really is embarrassing. :-/ I get technicians and scientists all the time who want to learn English, and they try to explain these spatial skills and I hate looking like an idiot. (The whole language/math dichotomy). Ay yi yi.

Perhaps I'm doomed to be a spatial dumbass, but if I can avoid it, that would be great.

Thanks!
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I don't know, but that was my highest score on some high school test. What would you like to know about it? Heh.

MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I don't know, but that was my highest score on some high school test. What would you like to know about it? Heh.
    Well, I would like to know how you get your brain to assimilate that so quickly. I mean when it comes to 3D visualization and the like, I'm at a total loss, and that seems to be a real disadvantage when I have to teach folks who deal with these kinds of things all the time.

Geometry was a disaster. My teacher just looked at me as if I were a dumbass half the time. I mean, okay, maybe I am a lost cause, but I'd like to think there were hope for me.

Do you have any tips that make it easier, or does it just come super naturally to you?
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Well, I would like to know how you get your brain to assimilate that so quickly. I mean when it comes to 3D visualization and the like, I'm at a total loss, and that seems to be a real disadvantage when I have to teach folks who deal with these kinds of things all the time.

Geometry was a disaster. My teacher just looked at me as if I were a dumbass half the time. I mean, okay, maybe I am a lost cause, but I'd like to think there were hope for me.

Do you have any tips that make it easier, or does it just come super naturally to you?
    I think it's innate, but I've been an "artist" since I could walk, maybe that training helped. In any case, I think your best option is to use your strengths to circumvent the need to use spatial relations. You can talk people into driving you around, for example.

MBTI
    INXP

Play White Dwarf on avoid until you can practically manipulate the planets.

White Dwarf
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I think it's innate, but I've been an "artist" since I could walk, maybe that training helped. In any case, I think your best option is to use your strengths to circumvent the need to use spatial relations. You can talk people into driving you around, for example.
    Hehehehe - If I'm anything, it's a talker. Now it's debatable whether or not I'm a good talker. But I am a talker.

MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by colmena View Post
    Play White Dwarf on avoid until you can practically manipulate the planets.

White Dwarf
    Oh wow, that's hard (for me) but really fun! Thanks!

(Does that really help develop spatial skills?!)

MBTI
    INXP

Yes I think so. When I first begin to play it, I'm all panicky, but after a while I begin to glide elegantly around the circles all relaxed. I wouldn't be surprised if spatial awareness is actually a lot to with frame of mind.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

spatial skills? i'm not bad at visual patterns and whatnot but i am absolutely HORRIBLE with my sense of direction. good god, i used to get lost at school after being there for 2 months.