• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Any lawyers on here?

Evil Otter

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I still have a few years left on my current contract period with the military but unless my work becomes immensely more interesting I will be looking elsewhere for employment. While I never really considered it much before, law practice has started to peak my interest, especially the case with the"free-range" children in Maryland. I majored in Philosophy and specialized in political philosophy so it doesn't seem that much of a stretch to go into law.

Anyways, questions for you:

Do you have a private practice or work for a firm?

What are your hours like?

Day-to-day, do you spend more time in research and/or in practice or more time doing non-practice aspects (administrative, paper-work, babysitting unruly clients, etc.)?

How long did it take you to pay off your loans?

Post-school debt, have you experienced much financial stress, or have you been fairly stable? (my research has indicated both stable 100K+ a year jobs and apparently some unemployed/unemployable lawyers or low-paying law practice (30-60K, but of course they don't say what state i.e. CA vs a state like GA)

Why is Matthew Dowd, an intellectual property and appellate lawyer the one representing the Meitiv family? Shouldn't it be a civil lawyer?
Matthew J. Dowd - Wiley Rein LLP - bio

As far as the personality aspect of it goes I'm an ISTP, but I have no issues with public speaking, and especially at work I like to be intellectually challenged (I can always have sensory experience in my free-time playing sports and doing outdoor stuff). I might have problems if I had to deal with a client that makes it more difficult for me to represent them by either not adhering to my counsel or attempting to conceal relevant information from me. Do these happen often? Perhaps more so in particular specialties like criminal defense?

Finally is there any specialty that gets to constantly keep the State in check and defend individual freedoms... like the Maryland case, or is that more of a once in a lifetime type case? I'm curious because I would fight to the death on a case like that

Evil Otter

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I won't qualify unless I do an additional 3 years past my commitment. I'll more than likely do a full year so I'll qualify for 60% GI bill, but you need 100% for yellow ribbon to also apply. But you're right that is definitely an option.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Law is a very tough field. It has been hit with a combination of technology and outsourcing, as well as a general oversupply of lawyers.

If you have a good law job lined up, then go ahead. I would recommend anyone considering law school to actually met lawyers and maybe even work in a law office.

There are a ton of unemployed and underemployed lawyers. Many work in outsourced temp firms doing what is only marginally related to law.

Unfortunately, most legal work is only marginally fulfilling and mostly a money grubbing endeavor.

Sure, going to court, winning a case, especially when the law and facts are against you, is extremely exhilarating.

Most lawyers are pretty unhappy people. Many leave before 10 years of practice. A very large number are divorced and/or alcoholics.

And legal work can get very boring at times.

For the vast majority, going to law school is not a great option these days.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=10808]andante[/MENTION] might answer if they were inclined to do so.