• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Classes in School

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Which ones did you struggle with? Which did you enjoy? Which ones were you good at? Which ones did you dislike? Why?

Personally I cannot do accounting. My professor teaches it in a very detail oriented manner, which works well for most of the people in my class, but with me its almost like being barraged with backgroundless information. Ill ask a question, the professor will throw terms at me, and then I will just stare at her like she is speaking Japanese.

I always liked science classes, particularly chemistry, genetics, and pathology. Social science classes were fun too because they were more subjective and you could debate.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Math was the bane of my existence. All math. It just does not click with me. The only types of math I have ever been good at are ones that you just plug in a simple formula to get the answer. Anything that required too much brainpower overwhelmed me. I remember (and this was in freshman year of HIGH SCHOOL) crying over my homework for my woodworking class because I just could NOT understand adding and subtracting fractions, which was the "easy" homework the teacher had given us. Now that I'm out of school, the only math I ever encounter is simple addition or subtraction. Nothing a calculator can't do for me.

What's funny is that in college, my favorite class of all time was philosophy of logic--which is really mathematical. Funny, right? And it required a LOT more brainpower than most math classes do. But it was fun for me. Like a game. Maybe it's because I had a wonderful teacher, and because instead of numbers they were premises for philosophical arguments, which piqued my interest more than the way I had been taught basic math throughout the entirety of my school life.

Other classes I enjoyed a LOT:
-Psychology (LOVED it, and was super good at it--got like a 110% in the class or something)
-Creative writing (I love writing, and took this class twice because I loved it so much)
-APUSH (AP US History--Loved it so much in high school that I took it twice, the first time as the non-advanced placement course and the second time as AP)
-World history (I like history)

Other classes I did not enjoy:
-Geology (Took this in college, the bane of my existence that year, class was not as fun as I was expecting it to be)
-Communications (despite being totally charismatic and good at presenting, I... hate presenting)
-English (I got to skip half my English classes in college because I tested out of them, but I HATE essay writing. I'm very, very good at it. I just hate it)
-P.E. (does this need an explanation?)

KitchenFly

I was bad at English and could not read fluently until grade nine. I was good at science in primary school. I did not achieve in tests but I found it easy to listen to and understand and follow.

I always love listening and daydreaming I did not real work during my hole ten years of schooling. School for me was social time and I enjoyed going to school every day and being with people. Predominately , where were years of growing pains but those years were like a seesaw they had there good moments and not so good moments.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Yeah english class was the one class that was always a hit or miss for me. It was the only class that really depended on the teacher. Some teachers would have a hernia if I didn't follow their rubric to the letter, it would be an automatic fail. Those classes sucked, if I got the point that was meant to be gotten, and I could get it across to the reader, I never saw why it mattered that my introduction paragraph had four sentances instead of five. But yeah, I disliked the classes where the teacher might as well have written the paper for me and tolerated the ones where I was tolerated.

Cygnus

I had trouble in gym classes because of bad coordination. I know that, if I wanted too, I could build leg strength and stamina by practicing running and sprinting in a predefined direction -- but I could never play a fast-paced contact sport because my reflexes aren't good enough for me to change direction and exert all my energy at once at a moment's notice. I'm coordinated enough to play musical instruments, but that's it.

Always did well in English classes because I'm a good writer. This naturally carries over into some other areas such as History becuase most of academia revolves around writing and writing ability. History I especially loved because it felt as if I was being told a story. I also have good memory retention, doubly so when a context such as a historical narrative is given; because I like what I learn, it has meaning to me, and I hold on to it.

That said, I have difficulty dealing with concepts that are defined but not explicitly described based on function, an example of this being a number. I always tried to number-crunch and rely on mental math in math classes whenever I could, because I knew that a calculator or a piece of paper will not always be readily available in the outside world, however I struggle with equations requiring precision and accuracy, and I easily forget formulas or processes if I don't repeat them over and over and over again. More a matter of mental athleticism and the creation of order from chaos than retention and application of data.

In a pinch, my writing is usually good enough so that I can bullshit my way around information that I don't have, and more often than not I have it. I'm a very good test-taker and I understand the nuances of how certain multiple-choice questions are worded, which has allowed me to estimate answers when I am uncertain. I retain information best when I write it down in my notes while it is displayed and the speaker describes it, and this has allowed me to outperform peers who study arduously without needing to study myself.

I actually struggle with citations because they're such ordered, clear-cut processes, all about tidying up the sources to order without any true thinking or connection-making involved.:dry:

Everyone I met thought I was either a genius or a helpless retard -- always polar ends of the spectrum, never in the middle.:dry:

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I had trouble in gym classes because of bad coordination. I know that, if I wanted too, I could build leg strength and stamina by practicing running and sprinting in a predefined direction -- but I could never play a fast-paced contact sport because my reflexes aren't good enough for me to change direction and exert all my energy at once at a moment's notice. I'm coordinated enough to play musical instruments, but that's it.

Always did well in English classes because I'm a good writer. This naturally carries over into some other areas such as History becuase most of academia revolves around writing and writing ability. History I especially loved because it felt as if I was being told a story. I also have good memory retention, doubly so when a context such as a historical narrative is given; because I like what I learn, it has meaning to me, and I hold on to it.

That said, I have difficulty dealing with concepts that are defined but not explicitly described based on function, an example of this being a number. I always tried to number-crunch and rely on mental math in math classes whenever I could, because I knew that a calculator or a piece of paper will not always be readily available in the outside world, however I struggle with equations requiring precision and accuracy, and I easily forget formulas or processes if I don't repeat them over and over and over again. More a matter of mental athleticism and the creation of order from chaos than retention and application of data.

In a pinch, my writing is usually good enough so that I can bullshit my way around information that I don't have, and more often than not I have it. I'm a very good test-taker and I understand the nuances of how certain multiple-choice questions are worded, which has allowed me to estimate answers when I am uncertain. I retain information best when I write it down in my notes while it is displayed and the speaker describes it, and this has allowed me to outperform peers who study arduously without needing to study myself.

I actually struggle with citations because they're such ordered, clear-cut processes, all about tidying up the sources to order without any true thinking or connection-making involved.:dry:

Everyone I met thought I was either a genius or a helpless retard -- always polar ends of the spectrum, never in the middle.:dry:

Wow this is pretty close to me. The one teacher I had flipped his shit because I didn't have enough direct quotations in my paper. Said that 95% of the words in my paper had to be lifted, and since I didnt source everything he wanted it was stealing. Told me that I was lucky he didn't call the police and have me arrested for plaigerism. Laughed my ass off at him. My paper was pretty much an hour of bullshit the night before though.

Midoughni

The classes I most looked forward to were math (especially algebra) and P.E, where I felt in my element and mentally engaged. Drama class was easy for me as well. I was a shy student, so acting was like a release, and my memorization was top-notch. History, meh. Science, meh. The only subject I struggled with was English. I remember taking several hours just to produce a single paragraph. That is how much time my mind required to process the question and put together a response with thoroughness and precision. I rarely finished my writing assignments. Some teachers were more flexible, so they graded me very highly, but there was one year when I failed miserably. Research papers were more dreadful than essays, because I wanted to be able to give my own subjective thoughts and analysis. For this reason, I was naturally better equipped for philosophy, which was more open-ended, but being in that class was a frustrating experience for me, as I was a bit more argumentative at the time.

Last edited:

Empressc

MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
During my high school, I really enjoyed Sciences (except for the first two quarters of General physics), Maths (not that fond of geometry) and World History. Those three are also the subjects I'm quite good at. I dislike Technology and Livelihood Education. I'm clumsy so I usually fucked up most of my projects in T.L.E. especially cooking, and did I mention that someone murdered my nails during our manicure activity? It was a nightmare. I also dislike P.E. Who even likes P.E.?

Right now in college, I really enjoyed most of our Bio-lab classes, since some activities require travelling to nearby zoos, museums and gardens rather than just staying inside a laboratory. I just really like doing activities outside. I also liked Sociology, and Philosophy, especially our debates on certain topics. I like Psychology, Politics and governance , and World literature too, but never quite enjoyed them mostly because of the professors I had (Psych. and Polgov. are usually an hour late). I started to dislike Maths but I managed to deal with them. The class I disliked the most is this public speech class. I'm not that great at public speaking especially when it's required to interact with the audience (Eye contact and such) and instead of just be done with it. Also my professor at the class has this certain bias over students who adds some religious stuff in their speeches which I find quite annoying.

Sucks that I never had the chance to choose subjects that I need or want. I had to deal with all the unnecessary ones.

Destiny

A wannabe dog
My favorite classes is art classes, literature classes, and also bio and physics to a certain extent.

I hate math classes. I also hate geography. These subjects bored the hell out of me :dry:

á´…eparted

passages
Sciences always came easiest to me all through my life. I enjoy almost all of it.

Math is something I can become good at with concerted effort, but I do not enjoy it at all.

History is something I am ok with, and am usually incredibly bored with.

English is something I am ok with. Grammar and literature interpretation I am bad at and hate. Writing I am very good at and usually enjoy. It evens out.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was always great at languages. I could pick up the intonations, grammar and vocabulary rather quickly. People usually took 5 years to learn Arabic, but I took 3. Of the three, I'd rate my English as the best, Malay as mediocre and Arabic as poor.

Sciences came after. I liked it because it was so interesting, and it answered most of my 'why' questions. I especially liked Geography because I like nature and knowing about it.

History and social studies were okay to me, if I read enough.

I sucked at math. Horribly. I had the most problems with it because I couldn't visualize the equations and formulas, so it could never really stick in my head. It also took a while for me to understand the mechanics of it.

Cygnus

I sucked at math. Horribly. I had the most problems with it because I couldn't visualize the equations and formulas, so it could never really stick in my head. It also took a while for me to understand the mechanics of it.

:shock:

B-b-b-but y-you're an IN-t-t-TJ.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
School stereotype? Behavior? Favorite part of school?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

In elementary and middle school, outcast. I've talked about why on a few other threads before so here I'll just leave it at that. In high school, I don't really know... I've always been kind of a loser LOL. Although, all throughout my school life, I've generally been seen as the "smart kid", which is only true for some subjects. In college there were these two students who got into an argument over who would be the one to team up with me for paper peer editing in English... it was awkward.

What do you mean by behavior? Like how I acted in school? I was really quiet unless I was with friends. When I finally got into high school and college and met new peers I was finally able to break out of my shell a bit more and people see me as a pretty likable/approachable person. I've also been a strict rile-follower in school, and never got in trouble. I was kind of the teacher's pet/kiss ass. But it really paid off. I once forgot to do an assignment in English in high school, and the teacher let me just bring it in the next day instead. No repercussions. Getting along with teachers was great and fun and I miss a lot of them. I think in my college English 102 class people were intimidated by me, though (this is the same class that had people fighting over me). The teacher actually called me out once in front of the whole class and said I was the only one with a good grade in this class, the only one taking notes etc. etc. Yeah... that was not very fun.

I was not, however, always a good student. In middle school especially, I was terrible. I never did homework, had Fs in everything... the principal pulled me aside with all of my teachers and told me if I didn't do better they'd hold me back. This was 8th grade, so next year was gonna be high school, and I did NOT want that to happen. So within one week, all my classes were grade C. I wasn't stupid, just very lazy. Because of this failure, though, I've become kind of a perfectionist. I got straight As all throughout high school. In college I had a huge breakdown once because I got a 60% on a quiz, simply because I didn't understand one of the directions. When I got a B instead of an A in my astronomy class, I thought I was a failure and it took me a long time to get over that. I'm not in school anymore. The transition from F student to A student was like this: no one ever encouraged me. My family never once praised me, said they believed in me, or were proud of me, etc. I picked myself off my own ass and got my work done. All by my own efforts. But I feel like that's starting to get off track so I'll end it there.

My favorite part of school was... I dunno, the fun classes? Electives? I took a full schedule my senior year instead of graduating early. I took fun classes like psychology, German, etc. and I loved it. I liked learning. I hated homework and having standardized testing shoved down my throat. To this day some of my favorite things to watch are documentaries about space and the ocean.

gromit

likes this
I'm pretty good at most subjects but chemistry was definitely hard for me in high school.

And neuroscience was really hard last year but I think I sort of/mostly got it in the end. Not all of neuroscience obviously, but at least what we were learning of it.

gromit

likes this

I don't know if I had a stereotype in high school. I was friends with a lot of nerdy kids but I did lots of sports and hung out with the sporty kids too and the musical/theatre kids. I just liked having a good time, even though I was kind of dorky and a little bit goody-goody.

I think sports and art class were my favorite part of school, and seeing my friends.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
In high school: Any easy class and gym.
In community college: All my science courses. I had a passion for studying then.
In nursing school: Honestly none of them... unlike community college where you can study hard, work hard, and it'll reflect in your grades, you can work twice as hard in nursing school at my particular college and it meant jack shit if you weren't good at the particular stupidity that is the NCLEX-style questioning. On the other hand, people who were less science oriented and could breeze through those kinds of flowery touchy-feely questions didn't struggle so much but during practicums they'd frequently complain about challenges like.. doing basic tasks.. and remembering the basic details when putting theories into action. Nursing school really took the passion for school I had out of me I'm sad to say.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I was *tips hand lackadaisically* ok at English.

However my experience was coloured by my stubborn nature and uncomfortable relations with other people.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Enjoyed:
School:
Art - Information Technology - Design Technology

Undergraduate:
Architecture Graphics II - Computer 3D Modelling (3D Max) - Architecture History II - Photography - Design Psychology

Postgraduate Masters:
Morphogenetic Programming - Body as an Interface - City as an Interface - Computational Analysis - Intro to Programming