• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Classes in School

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Finally, a piece of evidence that does in fact prove that we are two separate entities and not the same person :laugh:

I'm the opposite--I liked reading/writing assignments more than math/science-related things. ;)

Blargh. We could've done each other's assignments. :p

And yeah I'm the exact opposite of what you wrote here. I prefer it when there is a clear right vs. wrong answer. And interestingly (against my sensing nature), I have always preferred abstract math to practical math. Who knows why. :shrug:

I mainly don't like math because unlike subjects like English, which are open-ended, math questions are like: right or wrong. You did it right or you didn't. Yeah, word problems try to add "practical" applications (although most of them are more amusing than practical), but at least in essays you can do it your own way and there's no one right/wrong way to do it. I think the thing I mostly hate about math is that it's not... well... I don't think realistic is the right word. It's too abstract, I guess? Like, I get that you APPLY it to real-world situations and at that point it becomes practical, but the way they teach it, it's all just numbers and signs and blegh. And then they throw in imaginary numbers and roots and radical equations and it's like... I'm out. I'd much rather learn problem solving from experience and just doing what feels right at the time than by trying to put math into it, but hey, that doesn't mean math's not important, and kudos to anyone who actually understands any of what's going on with that. :laugh:

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Blargh. We could've done each other's assignments. :p

And yeah I'm the exact opposite of what you wrote here. I prefer it when there is a clear right vs. wrong answer. And interestingly (against my sensing nature), I have always preferred abstract math to practical math. Who knows why. :shrug:

Hehe see, that's what I totally loved about writing assignments--it's not black or white, so it's very easy for me to bullshit. And apparently I'm very good at bullshitting, because I've always gotten fantastic grades on essays. :D

Damn, where were you back in my high school days. I could have used you for my math homework. I'd have written essays for you.

/DG/

Hehe see, that's what I totally loved about writing assignments--it's not black or white, so it's very easy for me to bullshit. And apparently I'm very good at bullshitting, because I've always gotten fantastic grades on essays. :D

Damn, where were you back in my high school days. I could have used you for my math homework. I'd have written essays for you.

Well I still have writing assignments you could do, but they are bio-based, so I'm not sure if you'd be able to help. Not sure what kind of stuff you're doing nowadays. :p

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well I still have writing assignments you could do, but they are bio-based, so I'm not sure if you'd be able to help. Not sure what kind of stuff you're doing nowadays. :p

I'd probably die writing bio essays, I mean they're essays with MATH and SCIENCE, and those are Scary. :cry:

If you ever want/need an essay on gender roles and marketing, or a film analysis of brokeback mountain, or racial diversity in video games, I got you though. :cool:

/DG/

I'd probably die writing bio essays, I mean they're essays with MATH and SCIENCE, and those are Scary. :cry:

If you ever want/need an essay on gender roles and marketing, or a film analysis of brokeback mountain, or racial diversity in video games, I got you though. :cool:

Yeah, bio essays are even worse than normally essays because you have to have facts every two seconds. :(

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yeah, bio essays are even worse than normally essays because you have to have facts every two seconds. :(

And from what I can tell... it's all *pauses for dramatic effect* SINGLE-SPACED!!! *dies*

/DG/

And from what I can tell... it's all *pauses for dramatic effect* SINGLE-SPACED!!! *dies*

Depends on the prof. I have had some that were single spaced and I practically died writing it. It's fairly uncommon. Thankfully most profs want double spaced.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Depends on the prof. I have had some that were single spaced and I practically died writing it. It's fairly uncommon. Thankfully most profs want double spaced.

That's how you know the homework gods are looking out for you.

tumblr_mqldqqBnXI1r9c8mno1_500.gif

Tazzie

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
2w3
I really struggled with science course especially physic and Math once it got into pre-cal level. It all like foreign language to me and it take me a long time to just understand the basic lol. I excelled in PE (love playing sports and not hard class to pass), Geography and Accounting. Also took alot of art classes. I wasn't gifted but I didnt care and really enjoyed painting, allowed me to be creative, and was a huge stress relief for me and most art teachers I had were crazy and loud. Never a dull moment in art class lol.

Surprisingly I enjoyed Different business courses that my mom made us take in high school and it helped me in life as in keeping a budget and understand different type of loans. Accounting was easy to grasp for me. hard part was getting it to balance in the end. ended up in the accounting field when I went to college. then I end up in tax preparation field for a few years and volunteered preparing taxes for 2 tax season and worked for liberty tax for a season.

idk

MBTI Type
Idk
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
Math and Chemistry, Physics...I just sucked at those subjects. Not to mention the teachers I had in those classes only cared about their paychecks. I took honors Chemistry and I remember our teacher calling us the "slow class" because we asked questions. It made me realize you can't count on your teachers for help. I was always good at English though, I scored higher than 95% of my school on my English final although I don't support standardized testing like that. I took college English classes and passed with flying colors. I was alright at everything else, and I took college classes in high school which lessens my time spent in college. I'm working to be a RN and i'm planning to move to Cali. The pay for RN's there is fair considering the living price.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I suspect it is because you could see the purpose of the math, and relate it to something real.

This is so true and I wish more people recognized that, especially early on when teaching youngsters. My husband also has a degree in physics and he says the same thing. For me, math had to be applicable to something real and useful and while it's not my favorite subject, I had much less problem with statistics than any other kind of math class. I also liked accounting but it's something I use all the time for work.

Disliked classes, in college, had to be the human resources and diversity ones required for my degree. Not that they were difficult or boring but they're not realistic at all and this is confirmed by every HR person I know, too.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Killed at maths - maths and logic were always second nature, which is a bit ironic seeing I am an ENFP and couldn't care less that I'm good at them.

Hated English - they taught us little grammar or interesting stuff and instead made us read books and analyse what stories were meant to mean. Which would have been okay if they didn't think there was a correct answer. As if my English teacher or the person who wrote the curriculum had a clue what someone like Shakespeare really thought when he wrote things. My job now relies on English skills and I love learning about language.

Science was fun, but I didn't pay a lot of attention. I think the only thing that drove me at one stage was my physics teacher thought I would get a poor grade because I wasn't one of the sciencey guys in the class. I killed on the first exam to prove him wrong and then didn't study for the second. There ended up being a whole lot of rote learning stuff on the second exam that I couldn't just derive. Most people got good grades and scaling massacred my grade making my overall physics grade my second lowest at school after English. Kind of amusing seeing I eventually studied physics at university.

I'm sure there were other classes at school, but I elected three maths, Physics, Chemistry and English as my final year subjects.