User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Classes in School

9dw so/sp
    ESI Fi

"Note that the word “mute” (from Latin mutus and Greek μύειν) is regarded by linguists as an onomatopoeic formation referring not to silence but to a certain fundamental opacity of human being, which likes to show the truth by allowing it to be seen hiding."
    - Anne Carson

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I suspect it is because you could see the purpose of the math, and relate it to something real.
    This is so true and I wish more people recognized that, especially early on when teaching youngsters. My husband also has a degree in physics and he says the same thing. For me, math had to be applicable to something real and useful and while it's not my favorite subject, I had much less problem with statistics than any other kind of math class. I also liked accounting but it's something I use all the time for work.

Disliked classes, in college, had to be the human resources and diversity ones required for my degree. Not that they were difficult or boring but they're not realistic at all and this is confirmed by every HR person I know, too.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Array Cellmold's Avatar

Dear me, I may have fucked my education in the big ole arse.

"An upsidedown wire heart
    Being sucked into a periscope
    Still the mind is dull
    Like you need another excuse"

… a theory is primarily a form of insight, i.e. a way of looking
    at the world, and not a form of knowledge of how the world is….
    .. all our different ways of thinking are to be considered as
    different ways of looking at the one reality, each with some
    domain in which it is clear and adequate….
    - David Bohm

Killed at maths - maths and logic were always second nature, which is a bit ironic seeing I am an ENFP and couldn't care less that I'm good at them.

Hated English - they taught us little grammar or interesting stuff and instead made us read books and analyse what stories were meant to mean. Which would have been okay if they didn't think there was a correct answer. As if my English teacher or the person who wrote the curriculum had a clue what someone like Shakespeare really thought when he wrote things. My job now relies on English skills and I love learning about language.

Science was fun, but I didn't pay a lot of attention. I think the only thing that drove me at one stage was my physics teacher thought I would get a poor grade because I wasn't one of the sciencey guys in the class. I killed on the first exam to prove him wrong and then didn't study for the second. There ended up being a whole lot of rote learning stuff on the second exam that I couldn't just derive. Most people got good grades and scaling massacred my grade making my overall physics grade my second lowest at school after English. Kind of amusing seeing I eventually studied physics at university.

I'm sure there were other classes at school, but I elected three maths, Physics, Chemistry and English as my final year subjects.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.