User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 49

  1. #31
    Wonderer Samuel De Mazarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    You are quite right - American English has a vitality all of its own.

    But I would like to confess to you, providing you don't tell anyone.

    For quite a long time I had an antipathy to American English and I refused to read American literature. And I would rail against Americanisms. But eventually it blew my mind.

    And I further confess that I am tempted to imitate my American cousins. But I can't quite do it. Perhaps it is because I never fell in love with Jazz. Or perhaps it is just that I lack the energy.

    Nevertheless I have found an alternative in the Noosphere where I write, as you see, Telegraphic Prose.

    And I am even thinking of leaving words behind and speaking to you by video in the Noosphere.

    But so far I haven't found the rhythms to do this or the tone or even the words.

    So I have been struck dumb not only by American English but also by the Noosphere.
    Not quite struck dumb... but the telegraphic prose isn't a bad style... clipped and bulleted... very modern... very internet friendly, as long as it doesn't exceed a page or two per section.

    But the days of the binary opposition between American and British Englishes are long over... even within those two categories there are numerous groupings... American surfer-Southern drawl-Boston Brahmin-Brooklyn brawl and BBC-Brixton-Cockney-Brit Reggaeton etc...

    Now in addition to those we have a whole slew of Latino and Indian (real Indian)-influenced Englishes...
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

    Realize us, Madman!

    I razed a slum, Amen.

    ...............................................

  2. #32
    señor member colmena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    1,550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    This is a very nice thing to say.

    Ted.
    I don't try. I do.

    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

    -How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

  3. #33
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Read, but don't read crap.

    Read Gore Vidal novels. Read Scientific American. Read New Yorker. (Okay, New Yorker may be crap, but it's fairly erudite crap.) Subscribe to at least one peer-reviewed publication. If you want to focus on a particular discipline, order a journal from that discipline.

    Avoid People magazine at all costs, and turn off the d@mn TV.

  4. #34
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    Not quite struck dumb... but the telegraphic prose isn't a bad style... clipped and bulleted... very modern... very internet friendly, as long as it doesn't exceed a page or two per section.

    But the days of the binary opposition between American and British Englishes are long over... even within those two categories there are numerous groupings... American surfer-Southern drawl-Boston Brahmin-Brooklyn brawl and BBC-Brixton-Cockney-Brit Reggaeton etc...

    Now in addition to those we have a whole slew of Latino and Indian (real Indian)-influenced Englishes...
    It's funny, I have coffee every morning in Green Square. And sometimes there is an American sitting nearby. Usually they are American Marines - I can tell by the very short haircut and their delightful politeness. And naturally I speak to them and quite naturally call them Yankees. But I get a quizzical look, particularly from the Black Marines. And then I try to save the situation by explaining that all Americans, black or white, rich or poor even male or female are all, to me, Yankees. And then they explain to me what, "a Yankee", really is. But the distinction is lost on me. To me your Americanness seems to override all other distinctions.

    Of course you can distinguish one from the other just as I can distinguish the class of an Englishman by his accent.

  5. #35
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    I am too lazy to read if someone already said this, but a good way is to pick something you find interesting, a favorite book or article and then make yourself paraphrase a paragraph or two a day, use a good thesaurus to come up with a variety of alternative words.

  6. #36
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It's funny, I have coffee every morning in Green Square. And sometimes there is an American sitting nearby. Usually they are American Marines - I can tell by the very short haircut and their delightful politeness. And naturally I speak to them and quite naturally call them Yankees. But I get a quizzical look, particularly from the Black Marines. And then I try to save the situation by explaining that all Americans, black or white, rich or poor even male or female are all, to me, Yankees. And then they explain to me what, "a Yankee", really is. But the distinction is lost on me. To me your Americanness seems to override all other distinctions.

    Of course you can distinguish one from the other just as I can distinguish the class of an Englishman by his accent.
    I take it you've never run into any real Delieverance style rednecks and called them "Yankees" lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by victor
    And I would rail against Americanisms. But eventually it blew my mind.
    Understate much?


    But yeah, sympathy on the Jazz thing. I'm not wild about pure Jazz either.
    Maybe get yourself some Freestyle and Funk to listen to.

    ...

  7. #37
    no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 6sticks View Post
    Well I don't know about you lot but reading a dictionary cover to cover worked for me. But that's just how I trundle.
    Apparently not.

  8. #38
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Default The wrong question keeps us word poor

    Quote Originally Posted by 6sticks
    Well I don't know about you lot but reading a dictionary cover to cover worked for me. But that's just how I trundle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Apparently not.
    Learning is an interesting problem - and here we are interested in learning vocabulary.

    And usually we have a problem because we are asking the wrong question.

    And here we have the wrong question written in bold type above us, that is, "What is the best way to expand vocabulary?".

    This is simply a trap - as long as we keep asking this question, we will have a problem - as long as we keep trying to learn individual words, we will remain word poor.

    In fact we learn new words by first of all, falling in love with them, and then understanding them and finally assimilating them into our gestalt - that is, by assimilating them into our whole understanding - into our whole world view.

    So we don't learn individual words for their own sake, but we learn individual words to increase our understanding.

    So the wrong question is, "What is the best way to expand our vocabulary?", and the better question is, "What is the better way to increase our understanding?".

    The wrong question is answered by the Readers' Digest in its section of, "Increase your word power". Or the wrong question is answered by reading the dictionary.

    The wrong question gives the wrong answers - garbage in, garbage out. And the better question gives the better answers.

    So how can we increase our understanding?

    We can increase our understanding by reading books that are just slightly beyond us - just as we become better tennis players by playing with someone who is slightly better than us.

    And as our understanding grows, so will our vocabulary.

  9. #39
    Senior Member dnivera's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp
    Socionics
    LSI?
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Word games are fun, like Yahoo Word Racer, Scramble, or anagrams. You'll learn a lot of useless, obscure 3-letter words.

    Uhh....to learn real words, read a newspaper like the New York Times or any magazine - start with a hobby mag or general interest one like Wired. I get the occasional chuckle from the witty writing in mags like Esquire, unexpectedly.
    Si>Ti>Te>Ne>Fe>Ni>Fi>Se

    Introverted (I) 60% Extroverted (E) 40%
    Sensing (S) 56.25% Intuitive (N) 43.75%
    Thinking (T) 61.29% Feeling (F) 38.71%
    Judging (J) 71.88% Perceiving (P) 28.13%

  10. #40
    Senior Member Eileen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?
    Posts
    2,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    What have you found to be the best way to expand your vocabulary? I hear just reading a lot does well. Are there any books aimed at this that work?
    Nah, just read stuff that challenges you intellectually. The vocabulary will probably be there too.

    As you do that, if you want extra vocabulary development, I'd suggest studying up on greek/latin word elements. That's a good way to attack words.

    I also have a really geeky GRE/SAT vocab flashcard formula, but I don't think that's what you're asking, and I don't want to flash everybody with my dorky teacherness.
    INFJ

    "I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Similar Threads

  1. Best way to get sick in a day
    By prplchknz in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 11-02-2008, 04:56 PM
  2. Best way to get good at MBTI quickly
    By slonzor in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-16-2008, 04:35 AM
  3. [INTJ] Best way to approach "feeeeelings" talks with INTJs
    By Eileen in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-25-2008, 04:16 AM
  4. [MBTItm] SFs: What's the best way to persuade you?
    By rivercrow in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-20-2008, 05:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO