• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Surfing the internet or playing on your phone at work?

redpilot

Haha! I do this, but I only play Candy Crush Soda, so it does not really take too much of my time. The only problem is when I can't get through a stage and I become frustrated and start throwing things around. LOL ... If only there is a cheat for Candy Crush Soda like those games I used to play. I remember there were cheats for Zelda and Contra Warriors and another more recent game. Now, these games are unbeatable unless you make a purchase!

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
Erm...i'd say most do it.

as long as it doesn't impact productivity, i don't think it matters.

laurapants08

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
At my job I work alone in an office from midnight till 8am. As long as there isn't phone calls coming through its okay for me to be on my phone. I would go nutty if not.

8 hours a night, 5 nights a week is a long time to be without communication or entertainment. I also read, draw, write, and suck up information as well as long as there's down time available.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
helps me be productive. i'm locked in a room by myself most days, so a little leisure mixed in is necessary for me to stay focused and productive.

redpilot

At my job I work alone in an office from midnight till 8am. As long as there isn't phone calls coming through its okay for me to be on my phone. I would go nutty if not.

8 hours a night, 5 nights a week is a long time to be without communication or entertainment. I also read, draw, write, and suck up information as well as long as there's down time available.

I can relate with this. I know someone who works for parachutetechs. They provide external tech support and when it is their downtime, he can actually do yoga. Of course, he needs to keep his headset on. It's just hard if a call comes through and he is in an awkward position ... lol

laurapants08

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I can relate with this. I know someone who works for parachutetechs. They provide external tech support and when it is their downtime, he can actually do yoga. Of course, he needs to keep his headset on. It's just hard if a call comes through and he is in an awkward position ... lol
Ha!!!

I may consider trying this....

*hold one moment please I have to remove my legs from around my neck*

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I only do so while I'm on break or to check the time and then I put it away. Of course, my job doesn't have a lot of downtime until after 8pm... but even then I usually find some task to do. Doesn't bother me when other people do it, though, unless they're completely blowing off something important that needs to be done.

dramaticoperate

I only do so while I'm on break or to check the time and then I put it away. Of course, my job doesn't have a lot of downtime until after 8pm... but even then I usually find some task to do. Doesn't bother me when other people do it, though, unless they're completely blowing off something important that needs to be done.

I agree, sometimes a little break from the daily routine is needed to refresh and clear the mind :newwink:

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it's human to do it. You have a personal life. It just depends on the office set up and the degree to which it's done.

I sit in an open-ish office. A new hire woman has been doing it ALL the time - checking emails, texting, writing emails. She doesn't have clients so every time she types at length, it is a personal email. I lost it on her the other day because I think it's just wrong to do your own thing all day long. We can all see each others' work spaces.

Every day, I'll check my personal email, or look at the NYTimes, but it's limited, and I do it to take a break from stress. I have too much to do to spend too much time on it.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
No. I work at a minimum wage job. It involves me moving products from my right hand to my left hand. No computers for me to dick around on. I'd get yelled at if I played on my phone and customers would get angry.

I'm on my phone all the time during classes, though.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I get some of my best reading and researching done on company time.

Exactly lol.

Masokissed

Spoiled Brat 🍒
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nope, because I don't want anyone else to look at the weird shit I'm looking up.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't use my phone, but I sometimes visit this site at school on my laptop.

Raffaella

bon vivant
No, definitely, not. There's always so much to do that I don't have time to even look up information related to my job. It makes no sense in such a fast paced job.

And, honestly, work is work, play is play. I'd be freaking furious if I had to hang around my work, just browsing the net. It's different in other fields but not in mine.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I spent more time in college surfing the Internet and playing games than paying attention in class or studying by far.

I still do it too at work, especially on Sundays when nobody is in the office. I take extended breaks on a daily basis to do whatever I want on my phone. A lot of people pass by my office and seeing me fucking around but it's all right. I've definitely seen my bosses doing it too. I don't think they're going to rag on me if I keep getting all my shit done.

Indigo Rodent

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9
Most of office workers can do, like 4 hours of focused productivity per day. So, people usually have downtimes when they do unfocused stuff like randomly browsing the internet.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Depends on the job. If it needs my attention, no phone at all. If its laid back or slow, yes.

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
Yes, and I felt so guilty about it at my last job because I was surrounded by incredibly focused workaholics and because I did care a lot about the organization I worked for. But it just wasn't possible for me to focus on computer work for 8 hours a day, and the kind of projects I was actually passionate about (and was hired, in part, to do) kept getting sidelined by external circumstances. Wish I could've just worked less hours for the same pay - I would've been way more productive.

I do it at my current job because the work and the setting is so dreary, I have fewer responsibilities, and I don't care 1/10th as much. Hoping to find a more engaging and rewarding job asap.