User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Surfing the internet or playing on your phone at work?

I've been known to check facebook when I've been using the loo and that's the height of it, I get notifications through on my phone and once in a while I've posted something simple, like a line update.

I see the "idle time" involved in my checking of the internet as on a par with my using the loo, so I dont think its a big deal but I dont use the internet anything like the time I've heard of my friends doing office work or IT jobs do, some of them have planned, researched and booked holidays while at work.

Then again there are some computer companies and start ups I know people working in who dont care if you do this, actually encourage it, because they see that allowing it actually blurs the lines between work and leisure time and results in people spending more time working than otherwise, its why there's upshots in home working too, people do more and work harder when the illusion of being freer with their time exists.

Honor Thy Inferior Array Such Irony's Avatar
    5w6 sp/so
    LII Ne

I'm guilty of doing this more than I should. Sometimes my job has slow periods where there just isn't much to do. I try to read stuff that's professional development or job related but I do cheat a little and sneak some Facebook and forums in there as well.
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Neutral Good

I do this, especially since I work long hours that sometimes have extended down time.

I think most everyone does. It's the nature of computers - this is what happens when your entertainment comes out of the same box your work does.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

1w2 sp/so
    SLE Se

Absolutely. My research adviser is fairly laid back about it. He only gets mad if he sees someone dinking around on it when they aren't being productive.

Not being able to access my phone or internet while I am working makes me less productive.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

173 so/sx

Some of this depends on company culture, I think. Since everyone does it at my office, I do too. A lot, unless I'm busy, which is not very frequently these days.

I expect it'll be just the same at my new job, which I'm starting in a few weeks. Hoping my new supervisors will have @jscrothers' attitude about it, which IMO is the most reasonable for a supervisor to have.
    and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw or gryffindor (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    549 sx/sp
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Some of this depends on company culture, I think. Since everyone does it at my office, I do too. A lot, unless I'm busy, which is not very frequently these days.

I expect it'll be just the same at my new job, which I'm starting in a few weeks. Hoping my new supervisors will have jscrothers' attitude about it, which IMO is the most reasonable for a supervisor to have.
    Yeah, that's pretty much how it's viewed here by most supervisors.

I mean, don't be stupid -- don't be playing games and stuff on your computer all the time so that people see it when they walk by, you don't want to get a reputation as someone who does nothing (DADT) -- but basically as long as you are meeting your deadlines with professional quality, no one really bothers to dig into anything.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Array Cellmold's Avatar

I could never get away with this. One of my jobs is technically in an office....well office shaped area.
    "An upsidedown wire heart
    Being sucked into a periscope
    Still the mind is dull
    Like you need another excuse"

… a theory is primarily a form of insight, i.e. a way of looking
    at the world, and not a form of knowledge of how the world is….
    .. all our different ways of thinking are to be considered as
    different ways of looking at the one reality, each with some
    domain in which it is clear and adequate….
    - David Bohm

If you can find time to screw around online and text friends, and still get your work done on time, it just shows that you are efficient. That’s the line I’m going to use with my boss if and when I get caught.

Do it at school, not at work. Used to be always be on my phone at work until I got totally bitched out and threatened go be fired. Now for the most part its shoved away. Out of sight, out of mind.

It depends a lot on the job. Of the three "real" jobs I've had (i.e. not working in the lab in grad school) I've only done this at one of them. In that case, it was simply an issue of not having anything else to do a lot of the time. The company had brought us in to work on a piece of a larger project, and the other portions of the project were having trouble. Which left us with an awful lot of time to wait for people to get back to us.

It's sort of funny. It took me weeks to get accustomed to the fact that it was okay to just read whatever online. My supervisor flat-out told us that it was fine, since he knew we were just waiting for people. It was fun in ways, particularly as the others on my team were in the same position and we'd basically just hang out. But it also got very boring.

I don't at the current job. It's a good mix - plenty to do, but pretty low stress. If nothing else, I'll do some research/experimentation on future directions for our product -- but that's legitimate work.