• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

So what's everyone's profession here?

sophiedoph

MBTI Type
INFJ
What kind of freelance writing are you interested in? What topics?

I don't know what kind of freelance you would be interested in, but I really think you could as well. Until I entered the small business realm, I thought it was a lot about credentials. Now I realize it's about "creating a good product" (your writing) and marketing it--thinking creatively about how your skills could benefit different ones. Then emailing (spamming! woohoo! LOL) them offering your services. A good product and an idea about why it's relevant to them can speak volumes more than any credentials.

Just my $0.02.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Thanks. I often have problems with making the right connections and so on.

Yeah, so do I. The friend who helped me get a foot in the freelance door was someone I met on a BBS in the early-mid-late 90s. BBSes were the text-based web equivalents of forums, so it was pretty much like getting a job from someone you meet on MBTI Central.

S

Sniffles

What kind of freelance writing are you interested in? What topics?

Well I guess long story short: commentaries and essays concerning our prevailing ideas, mentalities and attitudes. Here's an example of what I'm talking about from one publication I often read.

I could also write about various historical issues as well. And so much more. Sorry, Im not bragging here, just saying my interests vary greatly.

sophiedoph

MBTI Type
INFJ
No need to downplay yourself or think you are bragging. You are good at what you are good at, and no need to apologize for that! :)

Do you have some articles written already for various topical magazines? Have you submitted them?

Have you gotten the journal's/magazine's subscription topic plan for the next several months, so you can try to write something relevant to the main topics? (You can get this by emailing them for advertising info--they should have a 1 year topic guide in the info.)

Have you tried starting with some smallish online journals to build your credentials? It's not really about credentials, but networking. For instance, I just landed a contract with a really big non-profit because I was able to say, "This store and that store and all these others are now selling my products, and I can tailor them to...." The NP is the big fish here, but having the other decently-known stores got me the credibility rating.

Just some ideas--feel free to IM me if you want to brainstorm some more.

S

Sniffles

I haven't submitted anything yet. It's on my long list to do list though. It's just trying to figure out what to write, and finding the time and energy for it.

I did have a blog a year or so ago. It did attract some considerable attention, and people often commented on my well thought out posts. I've been meaning to possibly starting that up again, but Im often distracted by work issues.

So at the moment, my "writings" consist nothing but random scribblings in my notebooks.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I haven't submitted anything yet. It's on my long list to do list though. It's just trying to figure out what to write, and finding the time and energy for it.

I did have a blog a year or so ago. It did attract some considerable attention, and people often commented on my well thought out posts. I've been meaning to possibly starting that up again, but Im often distracted by work issues.

So at the moment, my "writings" consist nothing but random scribblings in my notebooks.

You should definitely cultivate your talent.

sophiedoph

MBTI Type
INFJ

Well! :D

Why don't you write and get the planned journal topics from a few smallish places, and give yourself the exercise of writing a relevant, yet short, essay for the December issues?

Blogging is great too, but you really need to start submitting articles. Just do it the way you would if you had been hired but would only be paid when your work was complete--set a time and a place each day to write, and do it like a job.

Easier said than done, I know, but you gotta force yourself to get around to it! You'd be awesome! :D

disTant_eCHo

MBTI Type
INTP
My country and state literally pay for me to go to school. I knew turning 23 would somehow be advantageous.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Landscape architect
Professional consultant on that matter
And part-time University professor (Maitre de Conf' = post doctorate)

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I often get this in tests. I don't think I'd have the vision, artistic nature, nor the willingness to get through the education.

Who knows?

I began with plant biology, botanics and hard science stuff, and I eventually prefered more creative surroundings... ;)

To always feel the urge to experiment is probably something very ENTPish, I presume.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
I work in the hotel industry. Still trying to figure out whether I want to stay in it.

I always wanted to have a job related to traveling (hotels or "airplanes")
Or I wanted to do a job as a psychologist/therapist or some sort of counselor.
I also love acting but never got the chance to practice it..
:cry:
I'm a high school senior atm.

T

ThatGirl

I'm a full time hair stylst and student at the moment. I am still deciding between engineering and pathology. I would enjoy paothology more I think but everyone keeps remomending engineer because im not detail oriented, i culd be detale oriented.

Cenara

Student currently started my final year of University, studying Business Management. Working part time on anything good and available really (I prefer promotional staff or admin/secretarial related jobs). Don't have a job yet, not until Winter now.