User Tag List

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: So what's everyone's profession here?

What kind of freelance writing are you interested in? What topics?

I don't know what kind of freelance you would be interested in, but I really think you could as well. Until I entered the small business realm, I thought it was a lot about credentials. Now I realize it's about "creating a good product" (your writing) and marketing it--thinking creatively about how your skills could benefit different ones. Then emailing (spamming! woohoo! LOL) them offering your services. A good product and an idea about why it's relevant to them can speak volumes more than any credentials.

Just my $0.02.
    Hugs,

Jen
    ~~~~~~~~
    "We must apply our humble efforts to build a more just and humane world. I want to affirm emphatically: such a world is possible. To create this new society we must reach out our hands, without hatred and rancour, for reconciliation and peace, with unfaltering determination in the defense of truth and justice. We know we cannot plant seeds with closed fists. To sow we must open our hands."

~Adolfo Esquivel

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Thanks. I often have problems with making the right connections and so on.
    Yeah, so do I. The friend who helped me get a foot in the freelance door was someone I met on a BBS in the early-mid-late 90s. BBSes were the text-based web equivalents of forums, so it was pretty much like getting a job from someone you meet on MBTI Central.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by sophiedoph View Post
    What kind of freelance writing are you interested in? What topics?
    Well I guess long story short: commentaries and essays concerning our prevailing ideas, mentalities and attitudes. Here's an example of what I'm talking about from one publication I often read.

I could also write about various historical issues as well. And so much more. Sorry, Im not bragging here, just saying my interests vary greatly.

No need to downplay yourself or think you are bragging. You are good at what you are good at, and no need to apologize for that!

Do you have some articles written already for various topical magazines? Have you submitted them?

Have you gotten the journal's/magazine's subscription topic plan for the next several months, so you can try to write something relevant to the main topics? (You can get this by emailing them for advertising info--they should have a 1 year topic guide in the info.)

Have you tried starting with some smallish online journals to build your credentials? It's not really about credentials, but networking. For instance, I just landed a contract with a really big non-profit because I was able to say, "This store and that store and all these others are now selling my products, and I can tailor them to...." The NP is the big fish here, but having the other decently-known stores got me the credibility rating.

Just some ideas--feel free to IM me if you want to brainstorm some more.
    Hugs,

Jen
    ~~~~~~~~
    "We must apply our humble efforts to build a more just and humane world. I want to affirm emphatically: such a world is possible. To create this new society we must reach out our hands, without hatred and rancour, for reconciliation and peace, with unfaltering determination in the defense of truth and justice. We know we cannot plant seeds with closed fists. To sow we must open our hands."

~Adolfo Esquivel

Sniffles

I haven't submitted anything yet. It's on my long list to do list though. It's just trying to figure out what to write, and finding the time and energy for it.

I did have a blog a year or so ago. It did attract some considerable attention, and people often commented on my well thought out posts. I've been meaning to possibly starting that up again, but Im often distracted by work issues.

So at the moment, my "writings" consist nothing but random scribblings in my notebooks.

Striving for balance Array Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

I haven't submitted anything yet. It's on my long list to do list though. It's just trying to figure out what to write, and finding the time and energy for it.

I did have a blog a year or so ago. It did attract some considerable attention, and people often commented on my well thought out posts. I've been meaning to possibly starting that up again, but Im often distracted by work issues.

So at the moment, my "writings" consist nothing but random scribblings in my notebooks.
    You should definitely cultivate your talent.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    You should definitely cultivate your talent.
    Perhaps I should submit post #3 in my personal thread. That's basically how I am during my "Ni moments".

Striving for balance Array Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Perhaps I should submit post #3 in my personal thread. That's basically how I am during my "Ni moments".
    YAY for Ni moments.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Well!

Why don't you write and get the planned journal topics from a few smallish places, and give yourself the exercise of writing a relevant, yet short, essay for the December issues?

Blogging is great too, but you really need to start submitting articles. Just do it the way you would if you had been hired but would only be paid when your work was complete--set a time and a place each day to write, and do it like a job.

Easier said than done, I know, but you gotta force yourself to get around to it! You'd be awesome!
    Hugs,

Jen
    ~~~~~~~~

~Adolfo Esquivel

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by sophiedoph View Post
    Easier said than done, I know, but you gotta force yourself to get around to it! You'd be awesome!
    Yeah imagine something like this in a journal
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/248085-post3.html