• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What career is this? (MQ career advice thread)

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
--Slow paced
--People-centric
--33%-50% of time alone
--scatterbrain resistant

What major corresponds with that career? This is not a game.

Last edited by a moderator:

gromit

likes this
Ha. I was going to say librarian, fits almost all of your criteria, depending on the type of setting. But it is definitely not scatter-brain resistant :alttongue:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Priest.

Or portrait photographer, if you can keep the scatter to a moderate level.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Business owner -- just get an assistant to reduce the impact of the scatterbrainedness. I'd suggest running an animal rescue/placement org. or maybe a wheels on meals type of deal.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Business owner -- just get an assistant to reduce the impact of the scatterbrainedness. I'd suggest running an animal rescue/placement org. or maybe a wheels on meals type of deal.

Interesting.
I may try that this summer if I have enough money to get a cart/trailer. I will consult with my mother on the business side of it, though. She has an amazing business mind and I didn't inherit much of it.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Priest.

Or portrait photographer, if you can keep the scatter to a moderate level.

Even compared to other people I know who have attention issues, I am the extreme.

iNtrovert

MBTI Type
Ni
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This can be just about anything as long as you are at the top of the internal structure and have people working under you tie up the loose ends. Follow your passion just make sure you have a good team behind you.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
--Slow paced
--People-centric
--33%-50% of time alone
--scatterbrain resistant

What major corresponds with that career? This is not a game.

haha let me know when you find a scatterbrain-resistant career. i'd be all over it!

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Even better: Historian.

I kinda like that one. I've been enjoying my history classes, especially the really ancient history. After Rome fell, it feels less exotic and not quite as interesting.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Does anybody feel tension between the career they feel they should pursue and what...

Does anybody feel tension between the career they feel they should pursue and what their heart tells them?

I am starting to get a little better at these little tech jobs, and considering how long it took to get here, I wonder "Why don't I just stay here? I know pretty much what to do and I'm getting better at compensating for my scatteredbrained nature, so why not just stick with what I know and build from there? It seems straightforward enough, doesn't it?"

However, I have a nagging feeling in my gut that I'm not really doing what I want and I'm not showing my true values and feelings. Sure, I'm a nice guy and considerate to everybody, and there's no problem with that--as a matter of fact, kindness is a pretty big part of my true nature, already. I don't feel authentic and I don't want to be generic. I itch to try something new and maybe create a few good stories I can remember pleasantly in my old age. I don't want more regrets. I have enough already. Who am I?

To that, I say, I shouldn't let passing fancy get in the way of what really matters. I have a somewhat steady job and that creates security. I should not throw away that security chasing some will-o-the-wisp just because it feels "right". That would be folly.

Then again, these feelings are quite persistant. I wonder if I am even majoring the right major is school--sociology. I'm a thinker, one who ponders the mysteries of life and the world. I want to understand the world beyond just that I experience. I could do sociology, but I could also stick with what I know and do pharmacy, but then again, a researcher in the field of biology or theoretical physics could be quite rewarding.

Then there is love. Will I experience love...true love? I am wanting to learn myself before true love comes, but I feel anxious to think I may not truly grasp the ideal of love in life. I can taste the fringes, as I am in love with the idea of love, but how can I truly find the person I fall truly head-over-heels in love with. Love, not lust, though lust is fine is small measure.

I'm pretty sure every young person goes through this and I am pretty average for feeling these things, but I'd love to hear from some of the older members of the forum here where their life paths have taken them and if they are happy with where the paths led. Are you happy? I especially want to know that, as well as how to live free of regret and to come more fully into the moment. Life is passing me by and I'm missing it: there is pain--but my tears of joy are also tears of sorrow, and the converse is also true. My tears of sorrow are also tears of joy.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I'm where my heart tells me to be (game development). My mind wants to go for a bigger salary (software development).

So far I'm comfortable at my current job, mostly because it's very informal and I'm quite a far away from customers. I don't really like interacting with customers. I would need to talk to customers a lot more if I were doing software development.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Nope. Mine have always aligned.

You know, I admire that. That's the right way to live. You do exactly what feels right and to hell with what others think. You stick up for your convictions under heat of fire, and can speak your mind if you have to. Not bad at all.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm where my heart tells me to be (game development). My mind wants to go for a bigger salary (software development).

So far I'm comfortable at my current job, mostly because it's very informal and I'm quite a far away from customers. I don't really like interacting with customers. I would need to talk to customers a lot more if I were doing software development.
I like talking with people, even if I turn right around and forget it. My twisted tongue has made for a few awkward moments, but I can talk my way out of it if I stop a second and refocus.

Game development sounds cool, given how you make and perfect your own little world with its own little people. I have to say I can at least understand why you don't like the public, though. People are often impatient jerks.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'm in the same boat at 30. The thing is I tried doing the things I like and it requires me to go 100000 in debt to make 30000 a year after five additional years of training and I don't have anyone to lean on. To boot,'I'm not even sure I want to do that.